Another Summer League Loss - vs Seattle

Inside_Man

Nice to see Diaw playing well. he scored the most for his team? thats a first!

if he can give us 30 in any combination (15 pts, 4 assists, 11 boards... or 10 points, 10 assists, 10 boards)- id pencil him in as our starting PG. thats very effective. but thats stretching it.

So we lost because Marvin and Smoove didnt play. Both are injured. Marvin still with the bruised hamstring and Smoove with a Sprained Left Ankle.

I really dont think we did a good job at constructing our summer league roster. I know Morris left, but for a team with no centers and no PGs we really didnt invite many PGs or Centers that are worth anything. We're losing games because of our turnovers and sloppy play due to a lack of PG and because we have no interior presence.

The thing that worries me about our Summer League play is how will it affect or Free Agency plans. Let's say regardless of how we play Joe Johnson wants to come to Atlanta. That's great, but what about Daly or Curry or even players like B. Knight and Zsa Zsa. I'm sure most players know that our summer league roster contains at least 6 players that will be on our regular season roster. How will the poor play(virtually everyone) and poor attitude (Josh Smith) affect our chances of signing them?

I have to believe that while it doesn't predict how we will play it does provide a major clue to free agents as to what they are in for during the regular season simply because of the fact that we have so many players on our roster who are playing in Utah.

Our play in Utah makes me even more afraid to trade away Al Harringtons leadership, veteran presence, attitude and ability to relate to the young players because he has been in their shoes. Even if it is for Eddy Currys low post skills.

Quote:

if he can give us 30 in any combination (15 pts, 4 assists, 11 boards... or 10 points, 10 assists, 10 boards)- id pencil him in as our starting PG. thats very effective. but thats stretching it.

i think that's a little high of criteria for 'penciling in' someone for our starting pg this year, considering what options we have

30?

so 10/5/5 (20) isn't enough to be our starting pg?

8/10/7 (25) isn't enough?

who are we going to get that can get 30?

nash? 30.3 barely

kidd? 30.1 damn, he's cutting it close

parker? 26.4 don't want him

cassell? 21.3 nope

dre miller? 24.6 nope

tj ford? 16.8 nooo way

not hinrich, duhon, tinsley, livingston, payton, knight, daniels, alston, etc etc etc

if he can get a total of 10 rebounds+assists and 5+ppg, then that's good enough

RAHMOR - if these guys are interested in signing with us after we posted 13 wins last season with pretty much the same team we'll be trotting out there this coming season, then they're certainly prepared to play for a bad team. They can't possibly expect a couple rookies to make that much difference on a team that almost lost 70 games.

A "disappointing" summer league isn't going to influence any free agent. These are glorified practices, these are scrimmages, and our guys are not all healthy.

Now, I do think that that 13 win total is a reason for concern when trying to gauge the interest of restricted free agents. Maybe they're interested, maybe they're gambling for more money. Even if we end up getting guys like JJ and Dally, I really hope its not because they gambled and lost. I hope its because they want to be here. A newly signed guy who's bitter they're in Atlanta is far worse than a less talented guy that will bust his tail.

Quote:

These are glorified practices.

I'm not saying that summer league is the all that ends all but I find that a little hard to believe. Nearly every team sends their players to summer leagues. Undrafted players have the chance to makes teams in summer leagues. Coach Woodson would be there if it weren't for a family emergency. I read somewhere that the hawks coaches expect guys to learn how to play together at the summer league. It shows if a player has shown any development since the end of the regular season.

I think you undervalue the summer league a little. I think the summer league can send a signal to FA in certain cases. These games can't just be thrown out the window.

I know our guys are hurt so I not so concerned about the team record. I am concerned about reports of individual play, bad attitudes and lack of maturity.

Quote:

They [Free Agents] can't possibly expect a couple rookies to make that much difference on a team that almost lost 70 games.

Not all the players are rookies though and they can expect signs of improvement. I would think.