Starting to get some answers about JJ "snag"...

flava

Johnson deal hits a snag

Hawks' co-owner Belkin hasn't signed off on trade

By SEKOU SMITH and TIM TUCKER

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/03/05

The Hawks' pending deal for Joe Johnson hit a snag Tuesday because one of the team owners, Steve Belkin, has not signed off on completing it, two people familiar with the situation said.

The team's other owners and management are in favor of the deal. Belkin plays a pivotal role as the team's NBA Governor. The NBA requires the governor's endorsement on a deal before it can go through.

Calls to Belkin's home and cell phone were not returned Tuesday night.

Indications are that Phoenix wants to complete the deal. Team president Bernie Mullin, reached at home Tuesday night, declined comment.

Reached in Las Vegas Tuesday afternoon, Hawks general manager Billy Knight admitted there was a procedural "snag," but expressed hope the deal will be completed.

"There are some things we have to work out, some things that have to be taken care of," Knight said. "But we'll get it taken care of and move on."

Suns president Bryan Colangelo would not comment on the deal "until our business is complete."

The Hawks and Suns agreed in principle to the sign-and-trade deal Sunday. The Hawks get Johnson for five years and $70 million, in exchange for Boris Diaw and two future lottery-protected draft picks. The Suns would also receive a trade exception of about $10 million.

The 6-foot-8 Johnson, averaged 17.1 points, 5.1 rebounds and 3.5 assists last season for the Suns, who won a league-best 62 games and advanced to the Western Conference finals.

The Hawks also extended an offer sheet to Milwaukee center/forward Zaza Pachulia, like Johnson a restricted free agent. The Bucks have seven days to either match the four-year $4 million offer to Pachulia or lose him without compensation.

Colangelo told reporters in Phoenix Monday they had every intention of matching any offers to Johnson. But that was before he informed them late last week he wanted to play for the Hawks.

"The intention was to match. But we started hearing stuff about Joe not wanting to come back which we didn't want to believe," Colangelo said. "What it really gets down to is this: how can you go ahead and match a contract that's $70 million for someone who tells you point blank that he'd rather be somewhere else? You can't do that. The risk is too high."

this multiple ownership group thing is screwing the Hawks. we should have had this deal approved today.

also, wasn't billy suppose to have the power to do what he thought was the right thing for the team.

reasons like these are why the hawks are the laughing stock of the league....

flava

What the hell is Belkin doing? You'd think he could be available to sign some paperwork on the biggest day of Hawk buisness during the summer!!! Maybe Belkin has decided that hes a genius, that he doesnt want Joe, and is now trying to find a way to trade for Tariq Abdul Wahad.

I don't think Belkin is a BK fan. He appears to be at odds with the rest of the owners who supports BK plans on how to build a team. I hope in the future the other guys can buy him out, if not we may be headed for trouble. I wished the Gearons had the overall power over the Hawks. They are more committed to the home team.

• Premium Member

What's the purpose of Having BK run the day to day affairs of the Hawks and he not have the power to get the deal done...

Or

Bernie Mullin not having the power to get the deal done.

As I have said before...

Belkin won't be with us long...

• Premium Member

Belkin sees the Hawks as an investment and a way to the NBA Board of Governors. He doesn't see us as a team trying to win. So when you talk about spending 70 million on one player, I can imagine that he doesn't see the reason for an investment. He would probably rather continue to draft lottery picks... they're cheaper.

As a team, we will never prosper with this Sterling approach to running the team.

Belkin's probably asking the obvious question. Why are we doing this sign and trade instead of just having JJ sign the offer sheet and challenge the Suns to match it?

Call their friggin bluff. Are we giving up picks because we're cowards?

The point of restricted FAs means you have to OVERPAY to get someone. So, okay, we're overpaying, so there's no need to throw in Boris and picks.

• Premium Member

This is a HUGE Rip... HUGE.

I don't know if we can possibly move pass this Rift...

BK has done an excellent job of trying to save face on the issue, but if one of our owners is not in favor, it points to the flaws in this multiple owner system. And since Belkin actually sits on the board of Governors, that's a huge problem for us.

I think the results may be tragic as to what will happen.

We could possibly screw the pooch on this deal...

I applaud BK for trying to make something so big seem so small, but in reality, this is a huge problem!! Huge!!