• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJC.com - Resolution coming from NBA Thursday...

flava

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/h...05/11hawks.html

Hawks, NBA seek resolution

By TIM TUCKER

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/10/05

The NBA and the Atlanta Hawks' owners were working behind the scenes Wednesday night to find a resolution to the ownership battle that has become an embarrassment for the league as well as the team, several people familiar with the situation said.

The talks, initiated by the league, were aimed at addressing the stalemate over the pending Joe Johnson trade and the larger issue of an ownership group that now admits it cannot co-exist.

"There is dialogue between the owners and the NBA — progress toward a long-term resolution," said one person close to the situation. "Very much unlike the day before."

On Tuesday, with three NBA attorneys observing in a Boston courtroom, part owner Steve Belkin won a preliminary injunction to block his eight partners from removing him as the Hawks' NBA governor. The partners responded by asking NBA commissioner David Stern to give "prior approval" to the removal of Belkin in hopes that might sway the judge to reconsider his ruling.

Stern has not announced a decision. The NBA indicated it will comment on the situation Thursday.

During Tuesday's hearing, Suffolk County Superior Court Judge Allan van Gestel invited the owners seeking to oust Belkin to take their case to the league, saying: "Why can't you simply contact the NBA and say, 'We've got a problem. Mr. Belkin is doing terrible things. Can we remove him?'"

In his ruling, the judge focused on the fact that Stern had not approved removal.

Outside the courtroom Tuesday, part owner Bruce Levenson said of the ownership group: "It's pretty obvious we're going through a divorce right now. I would hope, sooner rather than later, [belkin] comes to the realization that . . . all that needs to be worked out now is the property settlement."

Levenson declined further comment Wednesday.

The courtroom scene captured the bitter dispute: Belkin seated on one side, his partners and team officials on the other; Hawks general manager Billy Knight refusing a proffered handshake from Belkin.

On Wednesday, Knight got a standing ovation from 300-plus Hawks-Thrashers-Philips Arena employees when he entered a company-wide strategic-planning meeting.

"Up until very recently, [stern] was content to let [the Hawks' owners] fight among themselves and leave it out of his office," former Hawks president Stan Kasten observed Wednesday. "I do think he's going to take some action. . . . I don't think he can allow it to go forward as it is.

"David could always be encouraging settlement talks — 'encouraging' being a euphemism for 'threatening.'"

as everyone has predicted, it sounds like David Stern is going to do some gentle persuation!!!!

i'm feeling more and more positive about a potential resolution that gets belkin out and moves the hawks forward (with joe johnson)...

flava

Guest Walter

...to come out of all this.

First, I don't think we've lost any FAs we would have signed as of yet. BK's probably been unable to move forward on second tier signings, but...

The end result of this will be then remaining Hawks' ownership and management will have shown such a belief in JJ, the direction the team is going in, and the ends to which they are willing to go to make it happen (i.e. spend money and court battles) that there should not be any lingering effect amongst the knowledgable fans, players, agents, and other team's management.

Not only that, the current negative can be turned into a positive. While the press has not always chosen sides to date in this conflict, sometimes choosing to report ownership as all a bunch of toddlers, upon settlement media will skewer Belkin.

We can all thank Belkin for one thing. Being a complete [censored]. It oozes out of him so much that his actions cannot be seen as anything but wrong and his public statements insincere. I thought the ultimate loser in all this would be Belkin, I just only feared that the Hawks would get taken down with him. Here's hoping Stern steps in to change all that.

Important! No compromise decisions Stern! Belkin MUST go! He must be figuratively castrated by an unequivacable decision to remove him from govenorship and his power within the team so minimized that he must sell out cheaply or at least without making money on the deal.

W

W

• Moderators

I wish that would happen, but if they are in negotiations then they are going to give Belkin some way to save face. And if he sells you can bet he'll be making money on the deal. Stern has the power to take away the governship, but Belkin still holds a lot of cards in the business. He won't go cheap.

Stern's a teflon guy, usually comes out of messes looking like a concerned and fair, yet "stern" dictator. He has absolute control of the NBA, and fully understands how to make himself look just.

He's thinking this over, looking for a permanent solution, maybe even letting the drama build a bit, and he'll come in and save this franchise from itself.

At least, that's what I hope he does. If Stern intends a permanent solution, I have a feeling this ownership will be far more structured and efficient moving forward. I expect (hope?) Gearon Jr. to be in control, and be the face of the ownership.