• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Arthur Johnson is the answer at 4 / 5

Hawkzzz21

Not sure how many of you got a chance to see some of the Summer League Games, but Arthur Johnson can play. I haven't seen him signed yet, but I haven't seen Stoudamire either.

This guy is 6'9" just like JSmooth, but 30 lbs heavier. He fills the paint up nicely. Rebounds well, can score, and shows a tougness inside the paint. He's like 23 or 24 years old. So there is upside to this guy. He is a no brainer (IMO) for backing up Al at the 4. He can be the 3rd Center, behind ZaZa and Collier.

As for Marv backing up the 4 spot or even the 3. No time soon. He's not ready to be in the rotation yet. He's got a ways to go, before he sees significant minutes. In our first 15 to 20 games, don't be surprise if a game or two goes by, where he doesn't even get in the game. Remember, even JChill and JSmooth sat out entire games last year. Expect the same with Marv too.

I'm not saying leave guys like Curry and Chandler alone. Obviously they would be great, but Arthur Johnson is very close to some of these names you guys are mentioning. He deserves a chance, and I hope he gets one.

For argument sake, let's say JJ completely fails at the point. That wouldn't effect Childress in no way. This guy is better than last year. Again, I saw this in summer ball. I realize the talent isn't as good, but I take that into account when I watch these guys. Childress (without considering JJ), is our best all around player!!! He still has the ugly looking jump shot, but that's all that is ugly in his game right now. He will show this year, that he is truly a good all around player. Don't be surprise to see him with a triple double or two this year. He's that well rounded right now.

If Salim struggles with his shot early, and you see him missing 3's that are taken 5 feet behind the 3 point line. DON'T GET MAD! He can make that shot. His range is unbelievable. He will fully be in the rotation, and might even play out the last 5 minutes of games. His scoring ability is going to have him on the court a lot.

If Lue resigns, and Royal looking descent like last year. Point guard will be fine. If Lue doesn't resign. That gives Woodson an excuse for having Stoudamire out there more, and I will be comfortable with Royal being our number 2 guy on the depth chart for PG.

If you never watched basketball before, and I told you that Salim and Marv were our two top draft choices. And if you had to figure out which guy got taken first. When this season gets underway. I bet your guess would be for Stoudamire. He's going to make an impact first year, where as Marv will take time.

OK.....that's my 2 cents. Just didn't see any of ya'll mentioning Arthur Johnson, and I think he's our back up 4 right now, unless something happen to him that I'm not aware of.

Starting Lineup:

PG Joe Johnson/Lue?/Royal Ivey

SG Josh Childress/Tony Delk

SF Josh Smith/Donta Smith

PF Al Harrington/Arthur Johnson

C Zaza Pachulia/ Jason Collier

6th Man: Salim Stoudamire (will find some way to get out there, should lead us in minutes off the bench, unless he works his way into the starting line up...which isn't totally out of the question)

Guest Walter

...I'd rather have him than Ivey (if Lue resigns). You leave Salim and Williams out of your lineup leaving us with a numbers game. Still, always nice to be reminded of AJ.

W

I think if Lue resigns than Ivey is headed to the nbdl with Donte Smith. Both will be sent there as Hawks property though via the new collective B.A. As for Arthur Johnson he was great in summer league ball so I expect the Hawks will bring him in for the preseason to see how he fairs vs nba comp. One thing I did notice was he cant play a lick of defense.

Aurther Johnson has no chance of making this team, I'm not not so sure he will even be invited to training. The coaching staff said they were very impressed with Tre Simmons at the Revue, and if any invitee from the revue team makes the team, it would be him.

You guys realize we do have 14 roster spots right?

1) Zaza Pachulia

2) Jason Collier

3) Al Harrington

4) Marvin Williams

5) Josh Smith

6) Donta Smith

7) Josh Childress

8) Tony Delk

9) Joe Johnson

10) Salim Stoudamire

11) Royal Ivey

12) Lue???

13) ???

14) ???

Am I missing anyone??? It looks like we need to fill two spots. Simmons and Johnson would be the last 2 spots maybe.

Why would we need to ship Donta or Royal to the NBDL? Then cut Arthur Johnson??? That means the Hawks will need to sign 4 more players, and 5 counting Lue.

Arthur Johnson should make this team, and be in the rotation from day 1. Backing up the 4.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Why would we need to ship Donta or Royal to the NBDL?

If they're in the NBDL, they still count as roster spots. They would go there to prove they're worth a roster spot in the future and to get consistent playing time.

Quote:

Quote:

Why would we need to ship Donta or Royal to the NBDL?

If they're in the NBDL, they still count as roster spots. They would go there to prove they're worth a roster spot in the future and to get consistent playing time.

Oh ok. I didn't know it worked that way....Thanks! I thought you could have 14 on the bench, and still have 2 in the NBDL. So I was thinking you could have a 16 player team between the 2 leagues. So I guess we bascially still have a 12 man roster then. Or 12 guys available to play on any given night.

you have 14 spots, 2 of which are inactive. You can let your inactive players can play in the NBDL. It's like before, except non-injured players that you put on IR can play in NBDL. If you have injured players, you can bring up your nbdl players, or just play without them. If you have 2 injured players and no one in your 12 to fill your positional needs, it's no different than last year if you got injured at a position with little depth

They just got rid of the hypocrisy