• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The John Edwards Signing Just Eats At Me

Guest Walter

How would bringing in Alvin Jones Jr. be a better decision?

Alvin Jones has been in three or four training camps before, and he has NEVER made a 15 man squad, much less a 12 man squad. Hell, Alvin Jones was even in the Hawks summer league a couple of years ago, and much like Randolph Morris, he either decided to not show up or left camp. I can't remember which it was that he did.

However, John Edwards is a player that not only made a team in his rookie season, he made a team that was a very good team in the Indiana Pacers. He also had one start on the year for the Pacers. He's already accomplished more at the NBA level than Alvin Jones Jr. has ever accomplished.

Too many of you have this idea that just because you have never heard of a guy, it must mean he isn't any good.

Walter, those are his junior year numbers that you keep posting..He was actually a about a 13/6.5 as a senior..He was also his conferences defensive player of the year.He was listed among the top ten centers in last years draft, and he was good enough to make Indy as a undrafted free agent last season..All this from a guy that barely played High School Basketball because of a sudden growth spurt that left him barely able to walk as his muscles were catching up to his frame..He was a college walk-on that was nothing but a project but he got better every year..In his senior year he was a dominant force defensively..By all accounts he is a very good athlete and he is huge..I see nothing but upside considering the small contract we gave him..Go Herman Munster....

Quote:

However, John Edwards is a player that not only made a team in his rookie season, he made a team that was a very good team in the Indiana Pacers. He also had one start on the year for the Pacers. He's already accomplished more at the NBA level than Alvin Jones Jr. has ever accomplished.

Too many of you have this idea that just because you have never heard of a guy, it must mean he isn't any good.

I've seen him. He's a mopup player.... He is about as

good as Jason Collier overall. If you replace JC's jump

shot (which he can make sometimes) and replace it with

a slight bit of toughness you have John Edwards. Overall,

they are about on the same level.

Quote:

Walter, those are his junior year numbers that you keep posting..He was actually a about a 13/6.5 as a senior..He was also his conferences defensive player of the year.He was listed among the top ten centers in last years draft, and he was good enough to make Indy as a undrafted free agent last season..All this from a guy that barely played High School Basketball because of a sudden growth spurt that left him barely able to walk as his muscles were catching up to his frame..He was a college walk-on that was nothing but a project but he got better every year..In his senior year he was a dominant force defensively..By all accounts he is a very good athlete and he is huge..I see nothing but upside considering the small contract we gave him..Go Herman Munster....

Jason Collier was drafted 15th and made the NBA.... I guess

when I think about it, it isn't all that hard to believe

John is in the NBA. Heck, Never Nervous Pervis could

probably come out of retirement and still make the NBA.

Not so says the GM. You don't waste roster spots on towel boys. At 7' he may just be good to have as a backup to the backup. Perhaps that is what BK has in mind for the kid. Yet I think the kid has more upside than you recognize, currently.

If he is as bad as you and others say, I will be the first to admit you were right and clamor for him to leave town. But until the season starts opinions are the rule of the day so you are free to feel that way.

I Love it when people get their facts wrong.

Quote: "Alvin Jones has been in three or four training camps before, and he has NEVER made a 15 man squad, much less a 12 man squad."

Per NBA.com

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/alvin_jones/

Alvin Jones played in 23 games for the Philadelphia 76ers in 01-02 averaging 5.5 minutes per game. 1.1 ppg, 1.6 rpg, .1 apg and .4 blocks per game.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/john_edwards/

John Edwards played in 25 games for the Indiana Pacers averaging 5.6 minutes per game. 1.2 ppg, .8 rpg, .1 apg and .16 blocks per game.

The point is, in almost the same amount of games, in almost exactly the same amount of minutes, edwards is .1 ppg better and .8 rpg and .2 blocks per game worse.

so by your own logic, if Jones is a cannon fodder scrub (man I'm liking this term more and more) than Edwards is lesser fodder.

Quote:

Speaking of ex-Jackets, Tony Akins was at the draft party. He's playing abroad too

Do you remember when his mom got into a fight @ Duke? Classy Duke fans all the way!

Guest Walter

Quote:

Walter, those are his junior year numbers that you keep posting.

Then I will remove the "worse college line for an NBA professional" from my critique. My apologies.

W