• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How many wins does Woody need to stay in as coach?

Guest Walter

Is he on the chopping block? I didn't realize anyone was even thinking about his.

I knew it would really be tough to judge him, considering the team we was starting with last year. After seeing the way they improved, and was in so many games toward the end of the year. I thought he did a great job. I really like Woodson. I think he's the coach we can go all the way with.

As far as I'm concerned, Woody didn't have an NBA team last year, so it didn't count. This is really going to be his first year. You don't fire a coach after his first year even if his record isn't great. I don't think he's at any immediate risk. If we have a horrible this season, and then have a horrible start to the following season, that is really the earliest I could see Woody getting canned.

I agree. I'll hope for 30+ but I expect 25. We have alot of strong factors going against us:

-we were clearly the worst team last year

-we are very young, with many players still learning the game

-our top draft pick is not ready to excel

-our best player will be playing a new position

-we have no nba-starting caliber center, and no depth on the inside

-our coach is still quite green

-our best player is new to the team

All those factors hurt a team that is trying to win from day 1. When you combine all of those, there is just no way we can have a truly successful season from a win-loss perspective. If you look at the IDEAL scenario, we could make the playoffs, but that could be said of every team in the league. The truth is, we have more working against us this year than any team other than maybe NO. So odds are we will be in the bottom 5, and win less than 30. I think our inexperience, lack of inside presence and lack of chemistry will really hurt us, particularly in the first half of the season.

I've said before I think we win about 9 of the first 42 games, I don't see how we can do much better. We'll probably do much better in the 2nd half, but I can't see us getting much more that 25 total wins. Too much going against us, especially in the 1st half, and it's not Woody's fault. It's the nature of rebuilding.

06-07 is when we start winning.

Ask one of the owners. It was one of them who said it. If I ever find the link I will post it where one of them said it. I doubt it was Belkin who said it at the time. Hawks have the talent to win at least 30 games this year. 30 wins even pre-JJ wasn't asking for too much. Now with JJ on the team. A roster full of young talent. Granted it is inexperience talent. Hawks should make a significant stride this year.

Quote:

If 30 wins isn't asking much, why did we win 13 games last year with Walker for half of the year?

*nod* Most of the time, I think a team just needs time together to gell.

that is lotto protected this year and only top 3 protected next year without EXPECTING us to 1) not make the playoffs this year, 2) to make the playoffs next year. A team that does not win 25-30 games this year will not make the playoffs next year. Thus, he expects us to win 30 games. I believe Woody must win 20-25 games to have any chance at keeping his job, but he may be fired winning up to less than 30 games given BK is banking on us making the playoffs in 2 years.

W

Fact #1

Our coaches now have a year's experience working together

and they have had time to plan for the new season.

Fact #2

Last year's draft picks all now have a year's experience

in the NBA, have worked together and bonded. We have

other players who are returning, which helps to make

the Hawks a team, not just individual players.

Fact #3

With the addition of JJ, Zaza and two draft picks and

the big body center, that's five good players to help

strengthen our second unit, which was badly needed.

Fact #4

Hawks lost SO MANY close games last season. They were

just a tiny bit away from winning, yet they couldn't

quiet make it. Hawks will still loose a lot of close

games, but some of these will be in the W column this

year.

Thirty is not out of the question. Let's do it !!!!

tongue.gif

"JJ is a pure Pg", "This ownership problem is about nothing", "firing (Woody) for winning less than 30 games is something BK will not do."...regardless of your accuracy or inaccuracy, why the absolute posturing?

KB, there are alot of games fewer than 30 that would get ANY coach fired, first, especially second year or not. Had I known you were going to posture so I would have included the "Woody will not be fired under any circumstance" option.

At some point, especially after such a big, "controversial" trade/signing, BK's neck will be on the line if winning does not occur at an acceptable rate. That may happen sooner rather than later. Moreover, Woody showed very little of the vaunted Detroit teaching last year, wins and losses aside. If BK's neck is on the line, if Woody continues to under-impress, if losses continue at an unacceptable pace, and if more legitimate coaching prospects present themselves, you better hope if not believe BK fires him.

W

No way would BK get rid of him in only his 2nd year when he hasnt given him a full team to work with yet. I think he has this year and next to prove that he can make us a successful team. Now, if we did just as bad this year or even worse, I could see him being on the hotseat all year next year, but I dont see any way he would be fired this year no matter how bad we do.