• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bernie Mullins reports Hawks will sign Batista

Rexhawk

Mullins was on local radio station 680the fan and stated that the Hawks are in the process of signing Batista and adding him to roster. He spoke of the signing as a done deal. Mullins also stated that the hawks are talking with another to team to try to acquire a big man.

The intersting part of the interview is that Bernie stated that the Hawks plan on having 6 big men on their roster. Here was his breakdown: 2 power forwards, 2 centers, 2 powerforwards/centers

I need help trying to figure out the six he was referring to:

Powerfoward(2): Harrington, Josh Smith?

Center(2): Edwards,ZaZa

PF/C:(2)Batista, Free Agent

I guess Woody has finally gotten through to Billy Knight and convinced him he needs some "bigs" in order to put a competetive team on the floor. I guess Woody sees a repeat of last year without any rebouders in the paint.

Whoever the trade for big Mr. Mullin speaks of it, would appear we are searching for a veteran of say 5 or more years as we are stock full of players with little experience.

This is a very good signing of a guy with size, a demonstrated nack for rebounding to go along with an all-around, 1st team tourney game, and potential given he's 22 and played only 5 years of b-ball.

W

a guy who we bring in who basically dominated on their level.

we aren't expecting too much out of the guy, but we think he can be a help down the road

a good prospect

I don't know, hopefully we get another "guilty pleasure".

This has to be the best off-season the Hawks have ever had.

I mean JJ, Marvin, Salim, Edwards, kept Lue, got some more depth for the future in Akyol and Batista.

No matter what happens this year, we know next year we will be deadly. We haven't even put David Andersen into the picture yet.

This year we may not win, but we would have to rival Denver for the most exciting team to watch.

I seriously have never been this excited about Hawks basketball.

Quote:

When the clippers had odom, miles, magette, richardson, and brand they weren't exciting?

Hell yeah they were exciting.

Golden State with Arenas, Hughes, and Richardson was exciting and they didn't win.

As long as a good show is put on people think they got their money's worth.

Arenas/Hughes/Jamison had to come to the Eastern conference

to win. cool.gif

• Premium Member

We've made some good pick ups... JJ, Marvin, and Salim I am very excited about. I like bringing Lue back, but hopefully not to start; and I like the Batista signing...if we've actually done it/are going to do it. Don't know what to think of John Edwards...

I'm excited about the season though. The last time I got this excited was when we signed Deke. I read that sh!t in the papers and was like OMG! WTF!? LoL, my first instincts were that it had to be some kind of typo or something...but that big-ass picture of Deke on the front of the sports section denied all that. I did wonder if he was worth all that money (being that he wasn't really a scorer); but, in the first game I saw him in, I remember thinking, "Wow...this guy has changed this team."

I think the worth of our offseason will be proven very quickly. We may not come out bustin' people's asses but if JJ is gonna work for us, then we'll see it fairly quickly.

Last year, my concerns were with Al and Toine and how their enormous presence on the court would slow down the development of our rookies...and well waddayaknow...

This year, I don't have any concerns like that; but I do know that you don't draft a guy #2 overall (or #6 for that matter) with the intention of making him a 6th man - especially not with the hype that has surrounded how good Marvin should be... That being said, SOMEBODY is either expected to be a bench sparkplug for the next several years, or somebody is going to be dealt.