• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mejia

shock

Yup, very good summary. Sounds too optimistic but the win total isnt. His main points are that Joe Johnson should be worth it and what will we do with our all combo forwards. That to me is where the Hawks are at. Then can this team play together and who can we draft next year are our next issues.

My one concern with that was the stressing of Al harrington not really feeling his role here in Atlanta.

Are we really gonna trade him based on Marvin's potential alone? I'd love to see him become a star and actually have some stability for once in his career.

Joe Johnson/Tyron Lue

Josh Childress/Salim Stoudamire/Royal Ivey

Josh Smith/Marvin Williams

Al Harrington/Esteban Batista

Zaza Pachulia/???

We;re young, but athletic!

• Premium Member

I wouldn't exactly say INFORMED...

They claimed Josh Smith as "top defender"... Come on now. Josh blocked some shots but one on one with most Sfs in the league, he was dusted...

I think Josh Childress is probably our top defender for the time being. He knows how to move his feet and he gets good rebounds.

• Premium Member

Al Harrington feels the breathing on his back. He knows that a lot of the fanbase wants him traded to make room for this unknown project called Marvin Williams. I think the drafting of Williams was definitely an insult to both Harrington and Smoove. It says.. We don't trust you. I think we should have filled our need with Deron Williams... That's a mistake we will remember for years... ALA Manning for Nique.

• Moderators

Josh Smith was statistically our top defender last year. I agree that stats do a poor job capturing a player's total defensive contribution. They do a much better job of measuring offensive contribution.

But defense is teachable...

ala Tayshaun Prince

He was never a defensive wizard at UK and is now a beast with the Pistons...

I think Josh Smith is going to become a better defender; but it's gonna take time... He's a year removed from High School and never played against the Pac-10 and National Competiton that Josh Childress did...

Everyone needs to keep in mind that Smoove was drafted on pure-borderline freakish-athletic potential alone. He's basically clay, waiting to be molded by the right coach/system. But face it, he's a legit 6'9" 240lb teenager that can jump out of the gym. Hopefully Woodson is an artist when it comes to molding young players; he's certainly got a lot of clay to work with...

GO HAWKS

"I'll be there opening night... Will You?"

• Moderators

I think Smith has the tools to be our top defensive player and was very encouraged by his obvious natural shotblocking skills. I just don't think the statistical measures are able to capture the full picture and by using those tools he ends up somewhat overrated.

• Premium Member

Tayshun Has something that Smoove lacks...

Long Arms and good fit.

If you're talking about making a defensive player, Tayshun was just a much better canvas than Smoove. Smoove has something that Tayshun doesn't have... Awesome first and second jump quickness. That helps with blocking shots... However, Somebody got to work on JSmoove and the up fake. He falls for it alot. Also, he has to work on his footwork most importantly. I watched Detroit/Atl and Tayshun loaded up his yellow bus and took J-Smoove to school. Not to mention Darko!

I am optimistic about JSmoove because you can't teach shot blocker's timing... BUT at the same time, I would hate to see Smoove become Theo. Shot blocker who never took the time to perfect the other modes of defense.