• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

New Coach.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Last night I was watching the 2000 1st round playoff game between Indiana and Milwaukee. It was a good game. Lots of good things from Big Dog. BUt Indy won that game. They had better coaching. I was wondering, why not us look at Larry Bird as the next coach. He has the ability to reach players. His teams made the playoffs and he made guys like Croshere and Best look good.

A) bird will never coach again.

B) The biggest compliment I have to Bird the coach is that he realized his shortcomings and lack of experience and relied heavily upon his assts (Carlisle esp!) to help him run the team. That is not to say that Bird wasn't a decent coach; but you really have to respect someone that can realize their own shortcomings and rely on others to help them. In Detroit, Carlisle has shown his abilities as a head coach - I think in Indy he was essentially co-head coach, but Bird being Bird, got much of the credit (he had the title and the name).

I for one am willing to give Lon a true test - see how he manges things with a healthy roster. Up to this point, it's been somewhat unfair to judge his abilities considering the mess that the team was in. I'm patiently waiting in the middle of the road before I decide which camp to join - pro or anti -Lon. Time will tell and hopefully we'll know by Christmas.

• Premium Member

Well first off, Doesn't Phil Jackson rely heavily on his assistants (Tex Winters) but take all the credit?

Anywho, Boondoc was right. Bird will be the new Owner/GM of the New Charlotte franchise so there's a conflict of interest. However, he showed some very good coaching skills in all three of his yrs.