• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks pursue Big Man

BornandDieHawks

According to the AJC here is what we are going after......

HAWKS REPORT

Hawks pursue ex-Grizzly Thomas

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 11/23/05

The Hawks are pursuing center John Thomas, who was released by the Memphis Grizzlies Tuesday. Thomas, a 6-foot-9, 265-pound four-year NBA veteran, played in just three games with the Grizzlies. But he averaged 2.5 points and 2.2 rebounds in limited minutes off the bench in Minnesota last season. He could help fill a huge void for the Hawks behind starting center Zaza Pachulia, whose backup, Jason Collier, died last month of a heart attack.

"We're talking to his agent and trying to see if we can possibly get something done" Hawks general manager Billy Knight said before Wednesday night's game against Boston. "[Hawks assistant coach] Greg Ballard had him in Minnesota and speaks highly of him. He's a big guy and good locker room guy, a guy who sets good screens and loves to bang and work inside. So we definitely have an interest in him." The Hawks couldn't claim Thomas off waivers Wednesday because the NBA office shut down at 2 p.m. for the Thanksgiving break. And other than the scheduled games for today, teams aren't allowed to conduct business on the holiday. They're not even allowed to practice.

THANKSGIVING SPIRIT: Hawks coach Mike Woodson and his family will take part in the Hosea Williams Feed the Hungry Thanksgiving Dinner today at Turner Field. Woodson volunteered at the all-day affair last year, where he said countless volunteers serviced between 15,000 and 20,000 of Atlanta's homeless and hungry. "Out of all the years I've been a part of Christmas or Thanksgiving events, that event is the most awesome I've ever seen," Woodson said. "It's sad on one hand to see that many people come to a facility to get fed, bathed, clothed, haircuts and their hair done. They have spiritual counseling. They do it all. And I think what they're doing is unbelievable. I spent half a day there last year, and I went home raving to my wife and daughters about what I experienced and thought it would be great for them to experience it as well." Woodson said Knight and his family would join his at the event this morning. Woodson also encouraged his players to come out as well. "It's something I think everybody needs to experience for themselves at least once in their life," he said. "It's really unbelievable."

LINEUP STILL IN FLUX: Woodson said he still hasn't settled on a permanent starting lineup. And he won't until he sees significant progress from a particular group. "I think when you're 0-9, you've just got to keep pushing until you find the right buttons," Woodson said. "I've just got to keep juggling guys until we get the right combination to help us win. I'm not saying these guys aren't playing hard. They are playing hard. We just haven't come to grips with the little things. We might go a game where we turn it over or can't make free throws. We just haven't had a game where we've put it all together.

post about BK. He said that he had to do a background check before he would try to claim him off waivers and it looks like that came back positive. I say give him a shot. He's a veteran, big-bodied banger and we need a backup for Zaza who can do that in the worst way. Edwards is a nice project but he has a ways to go as does Batista.

Why did Billy have the fans waiting this long only to sign a scrub? Is John Thomas any better than Jahidi White or Curtis Borchardt? We could have been signed one of those guys unless Billy Knight is being cheap and knows he can sign this THomas guy for 400,000 dollars but might have to pay Jahidi a Million or close to it.

Quote:

Why did Billy have the fans waiting this long only to sign a scrub? Is John Thomas any better than Jahidi White or Curtis Borchardt? We could have been signed one of those guys unless Billy Knight is being cheap and knows he can sign this THomas guy for 400,000 dollars but might have to pay Jahidi a Million or close to it.

Jahidi White is unemployed right now because of his weight going up by the minute.