• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What a deal

codyatl

By JS. He has done it again. We are only giving renteria 6 million/yr over next 3 seasons. Boston has to pay his buyout in 2009 when his number goes to 11 million. I hate to see marte go but chipper is at 3rd and he isn't going anywhere. If we are able to get Lidge form Houston this will be the best offseason the braves have had in a while. I am sure that would costs us a top notch starter but we have them to spare. Good job JS

It's amazing to compare the reactions of the folks over on BravesJournal to the reactions of the folks, well, everywhere else. They are incensed!

Marte has shown flashes, but fans don't realize how far he is away from being a solid major league starter. He strikes out too much, he doesn't have a good eye for the strike zone, and he's not a good off-speed pitch hitter.

Also, he's error prone at 3rd, but he has shown some brilliant work from time to time.

I think Marte has the potential to be one of the top 3rd basemen in the league, but I think he's 6 years away from realizing that potential. That's awful iffy.

Boston gets a good prospect. We get a solid shortstop for 3 years at a discount. If all goes right, Renteria will put up a .290 season and play solid D.

Brad Lidge would be great for this team, but he's going to be expensive...

I would be shocked to see you guys (or anyone else) get Lidge. Even with the playoff blunders, he is still highly regarded by the Astros and the Astros fans.

Also, I dont see the Sox hanging onto Marte. I read someplace that they were looking to move him for Lugo.

Getting Renteria was a great move. The notion that Marte is the next coming of Brooks Robison is just silly. He has too many holes in his swing. The high-outside fastball will always give him fits. Offspead down and away will also be a sore spot for him. I would much rather have Renteria than Marte. I really don't understand the notion that you keep Marte when you can get a proven major league player for six million a year. Plus, have you all seen how well ER hits in the clutch? He's a money hitter and that is EXACTLY what the Braves need.

I think we are working on Lidge and will probably end up with him. There were a lot of rumors that the Astros were shopping him hard. The idea is that post-season melt-downs can lead to a complete loss in confidence and ruin a young closer. Hence, Houston wants to trade him now while his value is high.