• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thursday Insider

Atlantic Division Turf Wars

by Chad Ford

Send an Email to Chad Ford

Also Below: Spree banished from camp | Mavs, Bucks hedging on Wang, Redd | Grizzlies trying to break log jam up front | Googs could make the Suns a sleeper | Peep Show

NBA position battles: Will the Wizards use Jordan wisely?

Updated NBA Depth Charts

NBA Insider Chad Ford will be chatting live on ESPN.com today at 1 p.m. ET. Click here to submit your questions.

The NBA regular season can sometimes be a drag but as a basketball fan you have to love the preseason. Sure, the tickets are overpriced, the games don't matter and many all-star veterans will show up fresh off their Twinkie and Kool-aid summer diets. But for the young and hungry, some of the most spirited basketball of the year takes place in October.

Combine the amount of player movement that takes place over the summer with the emergence of first-round draft picks and almost every team in the NBA has one or two intense position battles going down at the moment. Roster spots, minutes and the coveted starting roles are usually earned in the preseason. Insider's Terry Brown is breaking down several of them in depth. For the next four days, Insider gives you a glimpse at the battles to watch over the next few weeks. Today we start with the Atlantic Division. Friday we'll tackle the Central Division.

ATLANTIC DIVISION TURF WARS

BOSTON CELTICS

PG: Shammond Williams vs. Tony Delk

Strapped for cash and faced with losing several of their top free agents, the Celtics played the shell game this summer. They gave away Kenny Anderson, coming off his best season in years, to solve their problems down low with Vin Baker. Now the team has two players who look the part, but are really shooting guards in point guard bodies. "Will they be able to run the pick-and-roll as well as Kenny? No, they will not," coach Jim O'Brien said, "because there are not five guys in the league that can run the pick-and-roll as well as Kenny can." General manager Chris Wallace isn't concerned.

"With the way we play, we can get away with it," Wallace told Insider. "Antoine [Walker] is a quasi-point guard. Much of the offense is run through him anyway. In our system, the key thing for our point guards is perimeter shooting. It's really more important to us than playmaking."

If that's the case, the Celtics should be in business. Both Delk and Williams are excellent outside shooters. In fact, Williams is already making a major impression, and the word out of Boston is that he has the early leg up to be the starting point guard opening night. "I am shocked at how good of a 3-point shooter he is," O'Brien said on Tuesday. "I hesitate to say he's a great shooter, but he might be a great shooter."

SG: Eric Williams vs. Kedrick Brown

Williams is known as one of the most tenacious defenders on the team, but that perception is slowly changing. "Kedrick is becoming one of the best on the ball defenders in the NBA," Wallace told Insider. "He's our best athlete and has gotten an excellent education guarding Paul Pierce in practice."

While it looks like Williams' experience will give him the early nod, the Celtics are counting on Brown to play a major role on this team this year. Brown looked much more comfortable this summer at the Shaw Summer League and has an explosive offensive game when he's not deferring to Pierce and Walker. If the second-year swingman can prove he has the poise to handle the heat of battle, the Celtics' starting lineup of Shammond Williams, Brown, Pierce, Walker and Baker may ring up more points than any team in the league.

Projected Starting 5:

PG: Shammond Williams

SG: Eric Williams

SF: Paul Pierce

PF: Antoine Walker

C: Vin Baker

MIAMI HEAT

PG: Travis Best vs. Anthony Carter

Best should have a big advantage here, but an early pulled calf muscle will keep him out for the first week of camp, opening the door just a bit for Carter. Of course, coach Pat Riley anointed Carter as the Heat point guard of the future last summer and gave him a three-year, $11 million contract. Carter, however, struggled last season and eventually lost his starting job to Rod Strickland. Best is clearly a better offensive player, but in the end, Carter is a better playmaker and has a decided height advantage over Best. If he shows an ability to lead and knock down an open jumper (he shot a terrible 34 percent from the field last season), the battle could get interesting.

Projected Starting 5:

PG: Travis Best

SG: Eddie Jones

SF: Caron Butler

PF: LaPhonso Ellis

C: Brian Grant

NEW JERSEY NETS

SF: Richard Jefferson vs. Rodney Rogers

The Nets moved Keith Van Horn in part this summer in an effort to free up more time for Jefferson. Jefferson's athleticism and defense blow away Van Horn, but he still struggles with his stroke. Enter Rogers. He's bigger, tougher, more versatile and will be the best long-range shooter on the Nets.

With Jefferson, Jason Kidd, Kenyon Martin and Kerry Kittles all slashing to the basket, expect Rogers to find plenty of kickouts on the perimeter. Against the Nets in the conference playoffs, Rogers shot 51.6 percent from the field. "From Rodney we expect scoring and leadership and experience," coach Byron Scott said. Still, it's tough to see him supplanting Jefferson at this point.

Rogers showed up to camp out of shape while Jefferson has shown the work ethic and the determination to land him the starting role. It won't phase Rogers who has made a career out of coming off the bench. Jefferson is the future, but at the end of the game it will be Rogers and his sweet stroke that will have to fill the hole left by Van Horn.

Projected Starting 5:

PG: Jason Kidd

SG: Kerry Kittles

SF: Richard Jefferson

PF: Kenyon Martin

C: Dikembe Mutombo

NEW YORK KNICKS

PG: Charlie Ward vs. Howard Eisley vs. Frank Williams

It really doesn't get much uglier than this. Nothing is more depressing to Knicks fans than the team's options at point guard. Whoever wins the starting point guard position in camp will be a starter by default. Coach Don Chaney really wants to push the ball on offense, but neither Ward nor Eisley really has the skills to run the break the way Chaney wants it run. Williams, who will miss training camp with a broken wrist, is really out of the mix at this point. Expect a revolving scapegoat door all season between Ward and Eisley. Knicks fans may just have to wait until next summer when Yugoslavian point guard Milos Vujanic is ready to come over to get a real point guard running the show.

Projected Starting 5:

PG: Charlie Ward

SG: Allan Houston

SF: Latrell Sprewell

PF: Antonio McDyess

C: Kurt Thomas

ORLANDO MAGIC

PG: Darrell Armstrong vs. Jacque Vaughn

If you're a Magic fan, this isn't the matchup you've been dreaming of, but the truth is that Vaughn has gotten a bad rap. Vaughn shot a very respectable 47 percent from the field last season in Atlanta and sported a 4 to 1 assist-to-turnover ratio. As a starter he averaged 6.4 assists to just 1.4 turnovers. He isn't flashy and he's never going to drop 30 points on you the way Troy Hudson did, but with the return of Grant Hill what the Magic need is steadiness and that's what Vaughn provides. More important, Vaughn buys valuable rest time for Armstrong who has the tendency to wear down by season's end. The early word from Doc Rivers is that Vaughn will start at point guard and Armstrong will come off the bench. Given that a healthy Hill can also play point forward, the Magic should have plenty of good options. "There are guys who are trying to get jobs," Armstrong told the Orlando Sentinel after practice Wednesday. "There are guys trying to position themselves into playing time. That should spark a fire in anybody."

6TH MAN: Mike Miller vs. Pat Garrity

If Hill stays healthy, and that's still a big if given the last two years, the minutes available at the two and three will be dramatically reduced this season. Garrity is coming off a career year, averaging 11.1 ppg and shooting a sizzling 43 percent from beyond the arc. Miller averaged more points, 15.3 ppg, but shot just 38 percent from beyond the arc. Not bad, but not Garrity. This year the team plans to give Garrity some minutes at the four and some behind Hill. Miller can play both the two and three and will get spot duty behind both McGrady and Hill. But who will be the first guy off the bench? Miller started strong last season but had a miserable March and April. Garrity, on the other hand, averaged a solid 18 points and 8 boards a game as a starter toward the end of the season. Both players can light it up from the perimeter, but it looks like Garrity may have the early edge going into camp.

Projected Starting 5:

PG: Jacque Vaughn

SG: Tracy McGrady

SF: Grant Hill

PF: Shawn Kemp

C: Horace Grant

PHILADELPHIA 76ERS

6TH MAN: Aaron McKie vs. Greg Buckner

It isn't a sexy matchup, but it's the closest thing the Sixers have to a camp battle this season. Plenty of teams scratched their heads a bit when the Sixers threw half of their mid-level exception Buckner's way. The team already had a similar player in McKie. Neither player is expected to start and both get their reps as great defenders coming off the bench. The problem is that they both play the same position. Minutes will already be sparse behind Allen Iverson and Keith Van Horn, and if McKie and Buckner have to share them, don't expect either to be happy. It's still early in training camp, but coach Larry Brown's love affair with McKie should put him a tick ahead on the depth chart. Still, Brown expects Buckner to have an impact.

"I'll be surprised if [buckner] is not a major contributor to our team," Brown told the Philadelphia Daily News. "He does all the things you want a player to do...and he scores better than I thought. I've been trying to get him for years. Some guys you identify that you like; he reminds me so much of George, and he can play three positions. I can't believe he's not [still] with Dallas. That shows how good Dallas must have been."

Projected Starting 5:

PG: Eric Snow

SG: Allen Iverson

SF: Keith Van Horn

PF: Derrick Coleman

C: Todd MacCulloch

WASHINGTON WIZARDS

PG: Larry Hughes vs. Juan Dixon vs. Tyronn Lue vs. Chris Whitney

The Larry Hughes point guard experiment has failed in Philly and Golden State, but the Wizards dropped $15 million at Hughes' feet on the belief that he has what it takes to lead this team. "I don't like to talk about the positions, the [point guard], the [shooting guard]," Hughes told the Washington Post. "I can score. I can play defense. I can handle the ball. I've been working a lot on my shot this summer and I'm looking forward to being consistent and getting my teammates the ball."

Coach Doug Collins won't just hand the job to Hughes, but he doesn't have any other great options. His other three point guards aren't traditional playmakers either. Dixon, like Hughes, will try to convert from college shooting guard to pro point guard. He looked decent at the Shaw Summer League, but he also led the league in turnovers. Lue has the quickness thing going for him, but his size makes him a matchup nightmare for the Wizards most night on the defensive end. Whitney is the best outside shooter of the bunch.

"I don't want to get into roster spots right now," Collins said Monday at media day. "That's what training camp is for. I'd much rather have to make a decision on too many guys. Last year, we had two very small point guards. I'd like to be able to use Chris Whitney as a shooter more this year. T-Lue can handle the ball. So, we've got some different looks from some different people. Then it will be up to the coaches and I through training camp to get a feel on how it's going to go."

SG/SF: Michael Jordan vs. Jerry Stackhouse vs. Bryon Russell

Collins wants Jordan to be the ultimate sixth man. Jordan? He's not so sure. "If Doug feels like after seeing me play and seeing how the development of our team is, possibly I could better support the team coming off the bench, I will entertain that thought. If I am playing well enough to start, hopefully I can get to that point, too. Nothing has been determined. It's been talked about, yes, but until training camp happens, no one knows."

The real question in Jordan's mind is who gets the important minutes at the end of the game. Clearly, if Jordan still has his game, you can expect MJ to be in the game. Stackhouse has big advantage size and talent wise over Russell, but can MJ and Stackhouse play on the floor together?

"I think they can work it out," one Western Conference coach told Insider. "Stack has the ability to go down low and post people up. Jordan will play more on the perimeter. Doug will make it work." That may mean that Russell, perhaps the best shooter of the bunch, is left picking splinters out of his butt at the end of the game. As for rookie Jared Jeffries? With Jordan, Stackhouse and Russell hogging all the minutes, expect this to be a watch and learn year.

PF: Christian Laettner vs. Kwame Brown vs. Etan Thomas

This may be the most intriguing and most important battle on the Wizards this season. Laettner has the experience and the skills, but no one in Washington wants to see him win this battle. The real intrigue lies with Brown and Thomas. Both players have been hindered by a combination of injuries and inexperience and both players have to start showing signs of life this season if the Wizards expect to do anything of substance in the post-MJ era.

Brown, who sat out the first day of practice and much of the summer league with a pulled hamstring, saw his first action Wednesday. Collins liked what he saw.

"He did very good," Collins told the Post. "We want him to get the feeling that every time he's stepping out on the floor that he's getting better. He fought through some things but he didn't stop playing. He got a little stiff on a couple occasions, went to the sideline and stretched but he came back. I think those are all growth things." Thomas is still sidelined with a sore hamstring.

In a perfect world, Brown starts and Thomas and Laettner provide depth behind Brown and starting center Brendan Haywood. But Collins feels he pushed Brown too hard last season and has vowed to give him more space this fall. That may mean, in the short run at least, that Laettner gets the nod until Brown has the confidence it takes to assume a bigger load.

Projected Starting 5:

PG: Larry Hughes

SG: Jerry Stackhouse

SF: Bryon Russell

PF: Christian Laettner

C: Brendan Haywood

Gaston's big score leaves a sore point

Jackie MacMullan / Boston Globe

O'Brien presses his point on guard play

Steve Bulpett / Boston Herald

Rogers and Nets Pleased by New Surroundings

Liz Robbins / New York Times

Roles changing for vets

Jerry Brewer / Orlando Sentinel

Sixers search for player like Lynch

Phil Jasner / Philadelphia Daily News

Wizards' Changing of the Guard

Staff / Washington Post

Brown Crosses the Line of Scrimmage

Staff / Washington Post

Spree banished from camp

It sure didn't take long for things to heat up in Knicks camp this fall. Just two days after the team discovered that Latrell Sprewell had mysteriously broken his right hand, general manager Scott Layden told Spree not to make the trip down to South Carolina for training camp.

"He was scheduled to come [today]," Layden told the New York Daily News. "So we decided to have him stay home. We'll get a chance to meet with him on Monday. We'll get an opportunity to meet with him face to face. We figured that would be the best right now."

The Knicks are reportedly furious that Spree, who claims he injured the hand a few weeks ago, didn't inform the team earlier about the injury. Spree had surgery on Wednesday and will miss the next six weeks. Spree claims he doesn't know how he injured his hand and was unaware how serious the injury was. Apparently, the Knicks aren't buying it.

"I think that any player who's out should be watching, but at this juncture, I want to just speak with him and find out the details on everything," coach Don Chaney told the New York Times. "So I think it's good for him just to stay away right now. We'll meet and then go from there."

The speculation is already running rampant that Spree, who blew off training camp three years ago, is back to his old tricks.

Spree's agent, Bob Gist, told the Times that he thought his client was bothered by the constant speculation about a possible trade during the offseason.

"He may be angry about the lack of communication with the organization," Gist said. "When you hear in the press and from other players that they're looking to trade you, that probably gets to you."

If camp wasn't bad enough, the nasty news continued to roll in Wednesday. Allan Houston has a sprained left ankle he suffered last week in a pickup game and won't practice until Friday at earliest. New center Michael Doleac also missed practice with a strained hamstring.

On a brighter note, Kurt Thomas quickly put his legal troubles behind him and hit the practice court.

"I didn't want to miss anything, but I had to deal with the situation in Connecticut," Thomas told the N.Y. Post. "As soon as I was able to get it behind me, I was on the first [plane] smoking to get down here."

Knicks Do an About-Face: Sprewell Told to Stay Home

Chris Broussard / New York Times

Star player & fractured franchise both blow it

Mitch Lawrence / New York Daily News

Kurt's Happier On Court Than In One

Marc Berman / New York Post

Mavs, Bucks hedging on Wang, Redd

You know the free-agent pool is just about evaporated when we're reduced to daily updates on the fate of Wang Zhizhi and Michael Redd. But that's what it's come to and we're here to the end.

To recap, Redd, a restricted free agent with the Bucks, signed an offer sheet with the Mavs for three years and approximately $12 million Monday night. Wang, the Mavs' restricted free agent, signed an offer sheet with the Clippers ¡ª three years for approximately $6 million ¡ª Monday as well.

We'll start with Redd, given that what the Bucks decide will likely have some impact on what they decide to do with Wang.

General manager Ernie Grunfeld was decidedly vague with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Wednesday about the Bucks' plans with Redd.

When asked Wednesday whether the Bucks would take the full 15 days before announcing their decision, Grunfeld said: "We have no time frame. We'll study it and make a decision."

Grunfeld said earlier this week that the Bucks made an offer to Redd last weekend but would not elaborate. According to the Sentinel, the Bucks offered Redd a four-year, $6 million contract that had a starting salary of $1.25 million.

That's gotta hurt given the Bucks' luxury-tax situation. Redd's four-million-a-year salary actually translates into about eight million a year once the luxury tax is figured in. That's big bucks for a guy playing behind all-star Ray Allen. Still, Grunfeld has repeatedly said, including a Tuesday conversation with Insider, that the team intends to match any offer for Redd. The extra three million a season hurts, but the Bucks can't afford to lose more depth.

Coach George Karl hopes the Bucks resolve the issue soon. It's hard to believe they haven't prepared for this scenario previously. The longer they wait, the longer Redd sits out of camp.

That leads us to Dallas. The Mavs are not confident they'll actually ever see Redd in Mavs uniform. And, according to the Fort Worth Star Telegram, there's a decent chance that we won't see Wang in a Mavs uniform either.

"If we get Redd, I would say there is less likelihood we would match [Wang's] offer," Mavericks president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said Wednesday.

Nelson did acknowledge that if the Bucks keep Redd, it doesn't necessarily mean the Mavs keep Wang. Nelson said the possibility exists the team would let Wang go in both Redd scenarios.

Bucks ponder green to keep Redd

Tom Enlund / Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Mavs might not pursue Wang

Art Garcia / Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Grizzlies trying to break log jam up front

The Grizzlies too deep? That seems to be the early consensus at camp, where Pau Gasol, Drew Gooden and Stromile Swift all battle for minutes at power forward.

"The three of us are pretty good players and we're competing every day," Gasol told the Memphis Commercial Appeal. "But it's good to have talented players around you because it makes you push yourself, and it makes you get better."

That's easy for Gasol to say. He's the reigning rookie of the year and a lock to be the starting power forward. Gooden and Swift are fighting for the scraps.

"There's not going to be a lot of minutes there," coach Sidney Lowe said. "When you think about it, if Gasol plays the way he's capable of playing, it's hard not having him on the floor. The minutes that those guys get ¡ª either Drew or Stro ¡ª they have to be productive minutes."

The Grizzlies do have some versatility there. Gasol can play the three and the five. Gooden could spend some time at the three. But, in the end, all three players are best suited to play the four and the best of the three wants to keep out of the middle.

"I'd rather play the four spot because I feel more comfortable there," Gasol said. "You have more room and I can take advantage of my talents there. I want to continue to be a complete player. I want to play outside as well as inside. I want to have the freedom to use my abilities."

Griz past full at forward

Ronald Tillery / Memphis Commercial-Appeal

Googs could make the Suns a sleeper

Want an early line on a sleeper out West? The coaches in Phoenix believe Grant Hill isn't the only former all-star who seems completely healed. Tom Gugliotta is finally playing pain free for once and that could make a dramatic difference on a Suns team that slipped into the lottery last season.

"The last two seasons ¡ª whew, they've been frustrating," Gugliotta told the Arizona Republic. "Just when you feel like you're starting to get somewhere, you have a setback."

While Gugliotta looks better, the Suns are being cautious with him and Penny Hardaway.

"I've told them we've got to watch how much they do," coach Frank Johnson said. "There are going to be times when they may not go in all of the morning session. I'm not up here to try and kill these guys. We're doing a lot of teaching and when you're teaching, what happens is you're standing around, and then they have to get going again. That can be hard on them."

If the Gugliotta is finally healed, he'll give the Suns another dangerous weapon on offense and should easily claim the starting power forward position. Paired with Stephon Marbury, Shawn Marion and a healthy [supposedly] Hardaway ¡ª the Suns could sport three former All-Stars and one player on the verge that know how to light it up.

Factor in an improving center in Jake Tsakalidis, veterans like Scott Williams and Bo Outlaw and the stellar play of young players like Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire, Casey Jacobsen and Alton Ford this summer, and the Suns look like they have a great shot at scaring the hell out of some teams in the West.

Gugliotta suffers long road back

Bob Young / Arizona Republic

Peep Show

Kings: Laker fans take heart. Keon Clark has been a no-show for the first two days of training camp. "We have no idea why he was not here," Adelman told the Sacramento Bee. "I understand he's going to be here (today). He's coming in right now. And we'll have to sit down and find out what happened. We thought he was coming in (Tuesday night) and practicing (Wednesday). We even thought he might be coming in (Wednesday) morning and walking through the door any minute." Clark missed the practices while attending a custody hearing in Illinois.

Mavs: Nick Van Exel has shrugged off trade rumors and is embracing a new goal. "That's definitely a goal, Sixth Man of the Year," Van Exel told the Dallas Morning News. Starting point guard Steve Nash is just happy to have Van Exel back. "I was really afraid we would trade him," Steve Nash said. "I don't want that to happen because I think he's a valuable part of this team."

Heat: Pat Riley is already trying to defuse Sam Smith's Chicago Tribune column on Monday that suggested the Bulls swap Jamal Crawford, Marcus Fizer, Eddie Robinson and Primoz Brezec for Brian Grant. Riley said he had warned Grant and guard Eddie Jones of rumors that would surface because of the Heat's rebuilding mode. "I made that point in the opening-night meeting to both of these players," Riley told the Sun Sentinel. "They have to deal with that." But has he talked to the Bulls? "We have not talked," Riley said.

Bulls: Coach Bill Cartwright dropped a blow on Jamal Crawford Wednesday when he announced that he had no intention of finding Crawford some minutes at the two guard position. Crawford, who is in a heated battle with rookie Jay Williams over the starting point guard position, may be stuck spelling Williams all season. "You got Trenton Hassell back there [at shooting guard], who has been wonderful," Cartwright told the Chicago Tribune. "You have Fred Hoiberg there, who is solid. We need point guards. Fortunately, we have two good ones. I feel that they'll get enough minutes to be happy—or at least make me happy."

Magic: Good news on the injury front. Tracy McGrady's bad back look completely healed after a scary off-season in which T-Mac considered surgery. "I thought maybe I wasn't going to play this season," McGrady told the Orlando Sentinel. "I thought about getting surgery, and that is bad. . . . I'm 23 years old. I couldn't find anybody who could take the pain away." And second year forward Steven Hunter is way ahead of schedule on his torn ACL rehab. Hunter hopes he'll be back by the end of the year. "I'm going to be back in the year 2002," Hunter said. . . Coach Doc Rivers also said the team is abandoning the Jeryl Sasser point guard experiment. "He can play point but not to the area where I'm comfortable," Magic Coach Doc Rivers said. "We put too much pressure on him, trying to play him at point guard."

Jazz: Andrei Kirilenko reinjured his sprained left ankle during Tuesday's workouts. The injury isn't serious, according to trainer Gary Briggs, but tweaked the ankle that has been sore since Kirilenko first twisted it during the Rocky Mountain Revue in July. "It bothered me a little bit, so Gary made the decision to put this on for now," Kirilenko told the Salt Lake Tribune. "We don't want to force it." That's not his only problem. Kirilenko's weight has dropped to 210 pounds, after he played at 224 last season. "If you're too light, you can get injured, just the same as if you're too heavy," said coach Jerry Sloan. "We gave him some nutrition information, but we can't eat for him."

Cavs: Chris Mihm suffered another big setback Wednesday when he hurt his hamstring in practice. One Cavs' official said Mihm could be out from four to six weeks. "I don't want to talk about it," Mihm told the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "I'm really disappointed at this time." So was Cavs coach John Lucas. "Chris was having a great camp," Lucas said "He was doing very, very well. I'm disappointed."

T-Wolves: Coach Flip Saunders is frustrated that Joe Smith came to camp too skinny. The team requested that he show up in the 240 to 250 range. Smith claims he worked out all summer but was only able to add 10 pounds to his frame. He weighed in at 225. "I felt this summer was maybe one of the hardest-working summers I've had in the weight room, and I'm still not 240, 245 (pounds)," Smith told the Pioneer Press. "I'm still not able to get there." Still, Saunders is upset. Sound frustrated? He's not the only one. "He's saying he works hard by his standards, but maybe not by the standards that need to be, in a concentrated effort to maybe put on weight," said Wolves coach Flip Saunders, who added that several other players didn't report in optimal shape.

Hornets: Speaking of weight, Robert "Tractor" Traylor looks good, and he says he feels good. Traylor shed 25 to 30 pounds during the offseason from his 6-foot-8 frame, getting down to 284 pounds. "I want to be a player in this league," Traylor told the Times Picayune. "I want to be steady, on one team, and contribute."

Warriors: Coach Eric Musselman said rookies Mike Dunleavy and Jiri Welsch were definitely part of "an 81/2- to nine-man rotation" he expects to use this season. "Both those guys move the ball well," Musselman told the Contra Costa Time. "Those two guys will really help us in the 'value-the-ball' thing."

Rockets: Coach Rudy Tomjanovic is using a "five-man offense" this season. "I think it's the best thing for us," Steve Francis told the Houston Chronicle. "For three years, we've been basically stomping ourselves in the foot trying to do one-man things. I really don't think it works. I think continuity in our offense means not only getting our good players shots, but a lot of players shots. It's good for me. Regardless of the offense, I'll be able to contribute."

Spurs, Pistons: The Spurs are still trying to find a way to get Chinese center Mengke Bateer from Detroit. The Pistons, not wanting to take on any additional contracts, rebuffed the Spurs' offer of point guard Erick Barkley. Detroit wants a second-round pick for Bateer and likely will trade him to Dallas if it can't make a deal with the Spurs the San Antonio Express News reported.

Newest addition not in camp yet

Martin McNeal / Sacramento Bee

Guarded optimism: Van Exel glad to be back

Jodie Valade / Dallas Morning News

For Zo and team, some separation needed

Ira Winderman / South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Point guard battle is on

K.C. Johnson / Chicago Tribune

T-Mac, Magic: Good riddance to a bad back

Brian Schmitz / Orlando Sentinel

Hunter recovering quickly from injury

Jerry Brewer / Orlando Sentinel

Kirilenko Nursing Sprained Ankle

Phil Miller / Salt Lake Tribune

Mihm suffers injury in practice in new setback

Branson Wright / Cleveland Plain Dealer

Wolves lean on Smith

Robbi Pickeral / St. Paul Pioneer Press

Trimmer shape results in Traylor getting sharper

John DeShazier / New Orleans Times-Picayune

Warriors beginning to get a read on coach

Matt Steinmetz / Contra Costa Times

Players rally around Rockets' new offense

Jonathan Feigen / Houston Chronicle

Spurs notes: Team's eyes on Chinese center

Johnny Ludden / San Antonio Express-News

• Premium Member

Can you see Spree to Dallas for Nick the Quick?

Nick is an excellent PG who loves playing with McDyess. Spree has worn out his welcome in NY. Dallas could play Spree at the 2, Finley at the 3, Dirk at the 4 and Lafrentz at the 5.. Good God the possibilities. The Knicks on the other hand would have what it really and truly needs. An Allstar calibre PG.

To keep it clean, the Knicks can get Evan Eschenmeyer and give up one of it's littney of PFs. Maybe Harrington.

Also, how about Jacque Vaughn? I told you he would be a starter!!

In reply to:

If you're a Magic fan, this isn't the matchup you've been dreaming of, but the truth is that Vaughn has gotten a bad rap. Vaughn shot a very respectable 47 percent from the field last season in Atlanta and sported a 4 to 1 assist-to-turnover ratio. As a starter he averaged 6.4 assists to just 1.4 turnovers. He isn't flashy and he's never going to drop 30 points on you the way Troy Hudson did, but with the return of Grant Hill what the Magic need is steadiness and that's what Vaughn provides.

I really wouldn't surprise me if he is because

you figure Orlando wants Armstrong for the

playoffs and honestly I think he is a really

good 6th man.You can bring he and Mike

Miller off the bench along there pick the

undersized PF they drafted and they have

a decent bench.

"Can you see Spree to Dallas for Nick the Quick? "

Maybe before Spree got injured?Now he will not

be able to start the season.This is Spree's first

injury in a while.His age is going to start showing

this year I believe.

I'm interested to see what Houston will do...It's

easy to say he will be a great 3rd option but he

dissappears already and what is he going to do

now that he is counted on even less?Not to mention

all the struggles that team is going through and

they were already worse than us last year.

• Premium Member

Spree to Dallas. Actually, it makes some sense.

Spree wouldn't have to be:

1. Out of position.

2. Main Scorer.

He would be one of a multitude of scorers and with his speed, he and Finley would hurt teams.

NY really needs a good PG. That's why you get Nick. He's about a 3.5 a/to ratio kind of guy. He'd score about 18 and get about 9 apg. It would allow NY to play Anderson at Sf for now and rely mainly on McDyess/NVE/Houston.

It's the questions of concern over Spree's

injuries.Other than that I could see it happen

sometime ESP if the Knicks fail to give off

to a fast start.But I think Nelly likes playing

the small backcourt of Nash/NVE.

about Gasol? Can it possibly be any more clear that the guy is a PF and not a SF?

"The Grizzlies too deep? That seems to be the early consensus at camp, where Pau GASOL, Drew Gooden and Stromile Swift all battle for minutes at POWER FORWARD."

"The three of us are pretty good players and we're competing every day," Gasol told the Memphis Commercial Appeal. "But it's good to have talented players around you because it makes you push yourself, and it makes you get better."

"That's easy for GASOL to say. He's the reigning rookie of the year and a lock to be the starting POWER FORWARD. Gooden and Swift are FIGHTING FOR THE SCRAPS."

"THERE'S NOT GOINT TO BE A LOT OF MINUTES THERE," coach Sidney Lowe said. "When you think about it, if Gasol plays the way he's capable of playing, it's hard not having him on the floor. The minutes that those guys get ¡ª either Drew or Stro ¡ª they have to be productive minutes."

The Grizzlies do have some versatility there. Gasol CAN play the three and the five. Gooden COULD spend some time at the three. BUT, IN THE END, ALL THREE PLAYERS ARE BEST SUITED TO PLAY THE FOUR AND THE BEST OF THE THREE WANTS TO KEEP OUT OF THE MIDLE."

"I'D RATHER PLAY THE FOUR SPOT BECAUSE I FEEL MORE COMFORTABLE THERE," Gasol said. "You have more room and I can take advantage of my talents there. I want to continue to be a complete player. I want to play outside as well as inside. I want to have the freedom to use my abilities."

So if Gasol himself AND his coach say he's a PF, can you finally admit in the face of this additional evidence, on top of the other MASSIVE amounts of evidence, that you were wrong?

"If you're a Magic fan, this isn't the matchup you've been dreaming of, but the truth is that Vaughn has gotten a bad rap. Vaughn shot a very respectable 47 percent from the field last season in Atlanta and sported a 4 to 1 assist-to-turnover ratio. As a starter he averaged 6.4 assists to just 1.4 turnovers. "

but the truth is that Vaughn has gotten a bad rap?????????? Whose fault is that? Maybe the people who ignored all of his good statistics, who made fun of him because he missed several shots at the beginning of the season, and who basically have given him zero respect for the past year. I mean come on ESPN/Chad Ford, it's not like those statistics just popped up overnight... stuff like this really pisses me off.

I agree!And like How every media guy was

bashing DJ and now claim he is a huge part

of the team missing.Yes he is a big part of

the team,but it's funny how the media didn't

see it that way until he got injured.

I said that he played some SF last year, that was never in dispute. I also said that he will play some SF this year too. That was never in dispute either. You said that he IS a SF, that he played more SF than PF and that he plays BETTER at SF. That CLEARLY is not the case. Really, it's okay. You can admit you were wrong. It's certainly not the first time you were wrong and I'm sure it won't be the last. The first step in dealing with a problem is admitting that you have a problem. Say it! My name is Diesel, and I have a problem admitting that I am wrong even in the face of undisputable evidence! HAAAAAAAA!

• Premium Member

In reply to:

I said that he played some SF last year, that was never in dispute. I also said that he will play some SF this year too. That was never in dispute either. You said that he IS a SF, that he played more SF than PF and that he plays BETTER at SF.

OK if we both agree with the first 2 sentences, why is it hard to come to an agreement on the last one?

First off, when I watched the Grizz, I saw him playing SF most of the time. There was that one time against us when he was matched up against Shareef .

Second off, why would he not play SF... Because he's more comfortable as PF? That may be true, but I'm sure Spree is more comfortable as a SG. I'm sure Horry is more comfortable as a SF. The point is that of Him, Swift, and Gooden... He is better suited to play SF. There is also this. He gets demolished by opposing PFs? He's 7'0 but he's rail thin. I think Reef had a career day against Gasol (I'd hate to see Duncan, Webber, and KG's numbers). Unless he has gotten a little more bulk and a whole lot stronger, it doesn't make much sense to play him at PF and keep Swift or Gooden on the bench. The other thing is Battier/Dickerson. IF Dickerson is unable to play or is traded, I know Gasol will be logging time at Sf. IF Dickerson is back, Battier may be SF and that will force Gasol to play PF. Reason being Battier is much better than Gooden or Swift.

Spin it baby, spin it! I love it! Your point was never that Gasol would be the SF because he was better at playing SF than Gooden or Swift! You said that Gasol was a SF because that was where he was most effective. That is CLEARLY not the case to ANYONE but you! You said that Gasol's game was that of a SF, not that he was a PF who was forced to play SF because of the lack of talent at that position on the team. But hey, keep on spinning baby, keep on spinning! Diesel is The Spin Doctor!