• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We need a Center

ggp

Quote:

Comparing Sheldon to Ben Wallace is ludicrous. You always scold others for not watching games on this board--how much have you acutally seen Sheldon play? You're telling me the guy can jump?

Of course he can. I would say he has a vertical of 35", maybe higher. he couldn't possibly block all the shots he does if he couldn't jump.

From ESPN;

Quote:

Scouting Report: Plays like he owns the paint, which may be the reason why he is nicknamed "The Landlord ... A physical, yet smooth scorer around the basket ... Combines skills, strength and athleticism to collect high-percentage looks in traffic ... Really crashes the boards with authority ... A talent who doesn't mind getting dirty ...
Because of his bulk, he does not look like he would be a great athlete, but he is actually lightening quick off the floor
... Swats a ton of shots as a result, he is one of the best shot-blockers for his height in the nation ... Will be a terror down the road as long as he continues to work on extending his game ... Needs to also cut down on foul trouble.

How is he blocking over 3 shots a game if he can't jump? I haven't seen him carrying a broom around.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

So Shelden Williams is the next Ben Wallace?

Ben Wallace wasn't even drafted because the "experts" thought he was too short to play inside. He didn't get to play center consistently until he went to Detroit.

They are the same size, both jump well, are both very strong, block a lot of shots and rebound well.

Quote:

Quote:

Comparing Sheldon to Ben Wallace is ludicrous. You always scold others for not watching games on this board--how much have you acutally seen Sheldon play? You're telling me the guy can jump?

Of course he can. I would say he has a vertical of 35", maybe higher. he couldn't possibly block all the shots he does if he couldn't jump.

From ESPN;

Quote:

Scouting Report: Plays like he owns the paint, which may be the reason why he is nicknamed "The Landlord ... A physical, yet smooth scorer around the basket ... Combines skills, strength and athleticism to collect high-percentage looks in traffic ... Really crashes the boards with authority ... A talent who doesn't mind getting dirty ...
Because of his bulk, he does not look like he would be a great athlete, but he is actually lightening quick off the floor
... Swats a ton of shots as a result, he is one of the best shot-blockers for his height in the nation ... Will be a terror down the road as long as he continues to work on extending his game ... Needs to also cut down on foul trouble.

How is he blocking over 3 shots a game if he can't jump? I haven't seen him carrying a broom around.

And by the way...Ben Wallace was drafted by the Oklahoma City Cavalry as the 16th pick in the CBA draft.

Quote:

Quote:

And by the way...Ben Wallace was drafted by the Oklahoma City Cavalry as the 16th pick in the CBA draft.

You can't be serious. the CBA only gets the people who aren't drafted by the NBA. Duh.

My point is that he took way too long to develop as a player. If he had all the gifts he has now, he would have logged more than the platry 26 minutes a game he got with ORL. By saying Shelden is Ben Wallace means he is a project that will take a lot of time to come around and this team does not have the time to develop players.

The reason Wallace didn't get time was the same reason why he wasn't drafted, people thought he was too short to play center. They put him at the 4 and tried to get him to develop an offensive game, which he doesn't have even now.

Wallace was never a project. He always did the same thing he does now.

97-98 season, his second year he got 17 minutes per game and averaged 5 rebounds and a block.

He has always been the same player he just needed to be in a situation that played to his strenths.

Over the last 2 years Williams is averaging over 10 rebounds and 3.6 blocks per game. He was the DPOY last year. He is anything but a project.

Plus who else, besides Aldrige, should the Hawks draft in the top 5? Face it, this draft is weak.

......is playing the center position for LSU right now.

Tyrus Thomas is the player, and unlike Shelden Williams, Tyrus is a legitimate possible top 5 pick in June.

Tyrus is around 6'9", 230 lbs right now, is probably the best pure athlete in college right now, and is a shot blocking maven. Bring that guy in and get Chef Rouse to feed him well, and you've got a shot blocking, athletic beast in the paint that will be a lot closer to Ben Wallace than Shelden Williams will be.

Quote:

Chef Rouse

Oh man...not sure if I can get excited about a guy named "Chef". Hmmmm...

Things I could yell:

CHEF AID!!

CHOCOLATE SALTY BALLS!!

THERE'S YOUR ENTREE!!!

CHEF: COOKING!!

HELLO CHILLREN!!!

SIMULTANEOUS!!

OH KATHIE LEE!!

OK, I will stop. Never seen him play, but that would be worth the comedy.

$25 million in cap space a #2, #6, & #17 pick, a trade of Walker all in the last two years and we DO NOT GET EITHER ONE OF OUR TOP TWO FRANCHISE POSITIONAL NEEDS MET!

I don't mind people not hating BK because he isn't all bad, but at least question him and don't suggest his realizing one of his failings to be more important than another is genius.

W

Quote:

$25 million in cap space a #2, #6, & #17 pick, a trade of Walker all in the last two years and we DO NOT GET EITHER ONE OF OUR TOP TWO FRANCHISE POSITIONAL NEEDS MET!

I don't mind people not hating BK because he isn't all bad, but at least question him and don't suggest his realizing one of his failings to be more important than another is genius.

W

Now that I do agree with.

Exodus, Williams doesn't jump as well as you think he does...the scouting reports talk about wishing he was more athletic. Shot blockers dont have to be great athletes. It certainly doesn't hurt but it is more about timing and just having the knack. Tree Rollins was one of the worst athletes that I have ever seen and a great shot blocker. Bill Russell was not overly athletic and he is the best ever.

Williams will go late lottery to the mid 20's. Why in the hell would you take a guy like that in the top 3? Go get a tape of him getting pissed on by Killingsworth. You won't want him anymore. Lets get off the Shelden Williams kick. Comparing him to Ben Wallace is like comparing JJ to Magic Johnson.

Billy Knight may be a fool but I would rather him pick for us than some on this board. And I don't want him picking for us.

Quote:

Exodus, Williams doesn't jump as well as you think he does...the scouting reports talk about wishing he was more athletic. Shot blockers dont have to be great athletes. It certainly doesn't hurt but it is more about timing and just having the knack. Tree Rollins was one of the worst athletes that I have ever seen and a great shot blocker.

So how tall was Tree Rollins? You don't have to be a great leaper to block shots if you are 7 ft tall.

You can't block 3.6 shots a game in the ACC 2 years in a row at 6'9" if you can't jump. Williams is 3rd in the NCAA in blocks. Since there are so many players 6'9" or taller how come they don't block more shots than him if he is slow and unathletic?

The "experts" said Sean May was slow and unathletic but he timed faster than Smith and much faster than Childress.

And I haven't seen a mock draft that doesn't have Williams in the top 10, not that it really matters.

Quote:

Tyrus Thomas is the player, and unlike Shelden Williams, Tyrus is a legitimate possible top 5 pick in June.

Tyrus is around 6'9", 230 lbs right now, is probably the best pure athlete in college right now, and is a shot blocking maven.

So Thomas is a shotblocking maven and Williams isn't? Williams blocks the same number of shots and is also 20-30 pounds heavier.

The Hawks need interior D. After Aldridge who else could they pick? Unlike Ty Thomas Sheldon has the bulk to play inside and the experience also. Should the Hawks pick Gay (who sucks) or Morrison (who probably couldn't guard me)?

They don't have a lot of option.

Basically I would like to see them draft Sheldon (assuming they can't draft Aldridge) and sign Przybilla, then trade Zaza. That will turn their interior D from a weakness into a strength. Sheldon can slit time at the 4/5.

That will give them three shotblockers, so at least 2 will be on the floor all the time.