• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

OK, So nobody will say it, I will.

Diesel

Think about this - Gooden at 6-10, 230, had a stellar night last night, putting up big numbers with Gasol out.

Gasol, at 7-0, 227...well, we know what he's capable of.

Admittedly, though I live in Nashville, I haven't watched a ton of Grizz basketball. My guess from what I have seen, read, and heard, is that Gasol should start at SF and Gooden at PF. Growing up in the US, Gooden should have better post moves than Gasol, and he obviously has the size/thickness advantage. Gooden's natural position is pf...Gasol's might be C (though is probalby pf), but he simply lacks the strength and bulk to compete with the larger players inside. He can score on them in a variety of ways, but I don't think he can guard them - he'll just get pushed around.

Start Gasol at SF, Gooden at PF, and Lo at Center...not a heavy lineup by any means, but it's got height and athleticsim and should be able to use it's quickness to get to the basket...assuming they agree to pass the ball around.

Even though you failed to recognize the myriad of articles and proof that Gasol played PF last year for the Grizz, I will copy the following from gomemphis.com:

The dilemma for Grizzlies coach Sidney Lowe - and it's a nice one to have - is whether to play Gooden at power forward or small forward. It's apparent he has the skills to do both.

"When he plays like that, he's a player," Lowe said of Gooden, who played more minutes (42) than any player on the floor Tuesday night. "He's not a power forward or a small forward. He's a player."

It may end up that Gooden backs up both Gasol at the 4, and Battier at the 3....

• Premium Member

I watched a lot of Kansas games last yr and the yr before and Gooden is a real PF. He rebounds like a PF. He block shots like a Pf. He has the complete package of a PF except the Karl Malone like Size. I think what we will see will be many combo's of all three. However, along the way somebody will have to go. My guess is that they dump Dickerson and try to get a C. I wouldn't be surprised to see some form of a deal with Charlotte for Magloire.

I hope they can find a taker for him because if not, he is likely going to see his PT go down significantly from last year. Ideally, they will get a true Center in return but who is out there worth a damn who might be available?

As for Gooden, both you and I liked him a lot coming out of college and we both thought he had a chance to be ROY if I remember correctly. I still feel that way. If it's going to happen however, he's going to have to play some SF because as good as he is, Gasol is better.

I think that after New Orleans got Courtney Alexander from the Wizards for a pick, that Dickerson doens't make sense out there yet, especially with Magloire rising....

But you are right, I think West would want to move those dollars, especially if Wes Person shows to be starter worthy himself...

• Premium Member

If we had a dependable BU C , I would look into getting Dickerson and Swift for Nazr and CC.

Reason being is that Dickerson shares friendship with Both SAR and Terry and Dickerson is a scorer when healthy. Swift would be a good project BU PF.

Hey, you think Hendu can play BU C?

Let's think:

Theo//Hendu/Mystery Man

SAR/Swift

Big Dog/Ham

Dickerson/Ira/Glover

JT/DD

Maybe it's not a stretch...lol...

But, with Swift about to reach money time, and the big 'tract that Dickerson already carries, it would be tough for ATL to pull this off financially...

However...

What a deal that would be for us..I would do it on talent alone...even if Swift is on the "Play One Game and take Nine Off" plan....

• Premium Member

Thought being... With SAR here, we don't have to have Swift playing everynight. However, Dickerson would give us kick offensively and defensively he can manage. He and JT would be the fastest Backcourt playing. Then we sprinkle Ira and Glover in as well. We Lose CC's large contract. And if Swift doesn't work out so well, we send him to Orlando for a Big man prospect and a pick... Like Declarq/first.

But I think Swift has a mountain of talent and Dickerson is a good scoring 2.