• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Healthy Ratliff is best choice (AJC-Denberg)

chillzatl

• Admin

Healthy Ratliff is best choice

By JEFFREY DENBERG

Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

Without a pick in the first round of Wednesday's NBA Draft, the Hawks choose center Theo Ratliff to lead them out of the wilderness.

In the days leading up to draft, Ratliff pronounced himself ready to accept that assignment and return to his trade.

"Been too long, much too long," he said. "It's time for me to get back on the court and play some basketball."

It has been well-documented that Ratliff has appeared in only three games since being traded from the Philadelphia 76ers to the Hawks on Feb. 22, 2001, with Toni Kukoc and Nazr Mohammed.

A broken scaphoid bone in his right wrist sidelined Ratliff after 50 games that season, costing him a first appearance in the NBA All-Star game. He finished as the league leader in blocked shots but did not have a rejection as a Hawk because the fracture did not heal until summer.

Then near the eve of training camp last summer, Ratliff made an awkward move that led to surgery for torn hip cartilage, and when he came back from that, he was done in by a series of muscular and ligament injuries.

For the record, he played Oct. 30 against Houston, Nov. 1 against Washington and Jan. 11 against Toronto. Grand total: 82 minutes, 26 points, 16 rebounds, seven blocked shots. But the pain from a groin injury in that Canadian game was so severe, he could not attempt to play again. The Hawks blamed it on a bursa sac, the hip and the forward tilt of his pelvis, which invited injury. All were factors in Ratliff's absence.

The Hawks finally sent him to Vancouver to meet with therapist Alex McKechnie, who had remarkable success with the Hornets' Jamal Mashburn and others. Ratliff could well be his latest success story.

"I feel better than I've felt in a long, long time," Ratliff said before an arduous workout with strength coach Pete Radulovic, followed by a session on the Philips Arena practice court with teammates.

The single caveat is the right hip socket and its repaired cartilage. Ratliff's surgeon, Mark Phillipon, has performed similar procedures on NHL players. He told the Hawks that Ratliff will be fine. Ratliff believes that, but admits, "I've got pain there, and I expect I'll always have pain there. The thing is it's nothing I can't deal with."

The tilt in his pelvis has been corrected by a regimen of workouts. He believes his troublesome midsection will now remain injury-free.

But can he work a full season as he did his first four years in the league?

"We'll find out," he said. "But I believe I can. That's what I'm working toward -- to play every game at a high level and take this team back to the playoffs."

At age 29, Ratliff might have some selfish interests as well. Next summer, he can opt out of the remaining two years of his contract ($10.1 million in 2003-04, $10.9 million in 2004-05) and join the rich lode of free agents who enter the market. He doesn't say he will, but if he does, the market for Ratliff will be negligible if he isn't productive.

"The thing is I want to have a good year for the good of my team and for the enjoyment of the game," he said. "When you are away from basketball as long as I've been away, you have a chance to realize how much you love it, and how much you miss it."

Including 25 games lost to ankle miseries in 1999-2000, the native of Demopolis, Ala., has sat out 136 of 242 games the past three years.

But he also showed what a fine teacher like Herb Brown (Larry Brown's brother) can do for a good player's game. After averaging 4.5 and 5.8 points per game, respectively, in his first two years with Detroit, Ratliff was traded to Philadelphia in December, 1997, and became a solid 12-points-a-game scorer with the 76ers. Also, with his quickness, court sense and long reach, he gained a reputation as one of the league's foremost defensive centers.

The Hawks got a taste of that last October in an exhibition game against Charlotte when Ratliff initiated defensive rotations that utterly foiled the Hornets.

"Theo makes you a better defensive player when he walks on the court," Jason Terry said. "He's a coach on the floor, directing traffic. You don't have to worry about gambling a little because you know he's going to cover your man. There's no question we're one of the best teams in the East when he plays."

Pete has said that, in the terms of Theo's contract, Theo must choose THIS summer if he is going to opt out next summer.

That is a tremendous risk for Theo, but any agent would tell a man that he would be wise to opt out (22 million over two years) and try to get a longer contract when he is 29, not 31.

But again, if Theo can't go for a full season, then what team would be willing to pony up 22 million over any length of time for Theo?

My guess is that Theo will opt out, have a good season, and leave the Hawks wondering what to do at the end of the season when Theo is a FA.

My point is players like to use us....Greg Anthony did it

and so did Fox and watch Theo have his best season.Which

benefits us short term,but long term we would be [censored]

because nobody would want to come here.

The deal is he could opt out and has his best season or he

could stay and still be the injury prone player.The problem is

if he opts out he wouldn't have much value in a trade cause

obviousally trading him would be better than letting him walk

so a FA is unlikely to come...A really good player anyway.

If Theo opts out and has a great season it will hurt us very

badly.Do you think any decent name player would actually

sign with us?But if he opts out and has a poor season atleast

it would be better than him not playing and on the payroll.

The number of teams who will be willing (and able) to pay Theo what we can when he becomes a FA will be few. In addition, he will be competing with big time FA's like Duncan, Kidd, McDyess, etc. Those guys will get gobbled up first and Theo will have to take what's left over. Do you think he would rather play in Denver than Atlanta, particularly if McDyess is no longer there? How about San Antonio if Duncan is gone? Worse case scenario, we will likely be able to land a talented player (or players/picks) for Theo via sign and trade if he wants to leave here as a FA.