• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AL for Starbury?

Johnnybravo4

I was reading Marty Burns on cnnsi.com and he throws out the scenerio where we SNT Al for Stephon Marbury coming this offseason. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...ents/index.html

Now I know most of us here cringe at the thought of Starbury in a Hawks uniform, but lets look at it objectively

Pluses

-Can penetrate, get his own shot

-Not a bad distributor if so inclined

-Is a bona fide high profile star (Would increase attendance)

-Has Atlanta ties (Okay a reach but I like doing things in fours

Minuses

- Huge contract- (Is there a way to make NY pay some of the contract?)

- Has a bad attitude at times

- Rubs some teammates the wrong way

- Habitual chucker

I am going to play the devils advocate and say that if BK did pull the trigger that it wouldn't be the end of the world. First of all, our attendance would increase by at least 5g per game.

You could actually find a Hawks jersey in the store.

A Starbury/JJ backcourt would be the most gifted offensively in the league.

Starbury/Salim/Lue

JJ/J.R. Smith

Marvin/D Smith

Smith/S Williams/J.P Batista

Zaza/Cato/Batista

I came up with this lineup assuming that Marbury eats up most of our capspace, but we use our MLE to bring in Kelvin Cato and we draft Shelden Williams and J.P Batista. I also traded Childress to NOK for J.R. Smith (otherwise we would have been left with no real SG behind JJ.

Anybody have any problems with that lineup?

Debate anyone?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Now I know most of us here cringe at the thought of Starbury in a Hawks uniform, but lets look at it objectively

Debate anyone?

What's there to debate? Woody would be fired over that move because it would be a very stupid move. Let us pretend for a minute that every team that Starbury went to didn't get worse and every team he left didn't get better. The guy is owed $80 million dollars over the next 4 years. People on this board are balking at giving Harrington $8-10 mil a year and you want to sign someone who will make twice that?

Is that you Diesel?

I am not saying that it would be a good move, just not the worst move. The teams that Marbury left had no choice but get better, they were some of the worst teams in the league. But I am reading a lot about bringing in Jarrett Jack, and Earl Watsons, and Andre Miller and Nate Robinson, and cats like that, who don't have a tenth of the talent that Marbury has. Marbury is probably going to be a hall of famer when he is done, so there at least has to be a debate about a move like that.

• Admin

Marbury is an albatross. If we were at sea and he was on board, the crew would tie a cannon to his legs and toss him overboard.

I'm not even sure that he would fill seats like some think. You don't really hear anyone get excited at the prospect of Marbury coming to their team.

Quote:

Marbury is an albatross. If we were at sea and he was on board, the crew would tie a cannon to his legs and toss him overboard.

I'm not even sure that he would fill seats like some think. You don't really hear anyone get excited at the prospect of Marbury coming to their team.

May be to rabid fans like us, but to the avg fan, Marbury would be what Michael Vick was to the Falcons. (well maybe not that big...but you know what I mean)

Marbury would instantly become the most marketable player. And I think that his biggest mistake was going to NYC to play. Everyone thinks they want to play in NYC but you also have to deal with the BS that comes with it...especially if you don't win.

But he has a career avg of 8+ assists per game. If that ain't a distributor then what is?

Even now in his chucker mode he is avg 6.7 apg, and there is no one on his team as talented as JJ.

But imagine Marbury running the break with Smoove and Marvin Williams

And thinking about my lineup...I'd pay money to watch Salim and J.R. Smith try to single handedly shoot us out of 20 pt deficits.

• Premium Member

Quote:

But I am reading a lot about bringing in Jarrett Jack, and Earl Watsons, and Andre Miller and Nate Robinson, and cats like that

I agree with you on those post. Even I can't understand what poster see in the players that you mentioned above. Heck, I still can't figure out what's wrong with Joe Johnson at point guard for the Hawks!

Quote:

Quote:

But I am reading a lot about bringing in Jarrett Jack, and Earl Watsons, and Andre Miller and Nate Robinson, and cats like that

I agree with you on those post. Even I can't understand what poster see in the players that you mentioned above. Heck, I still can't figure out what's wrong with Joe Johnson at point guard for the Hawks!

All I am saying is that it isn't the worst thing that could happen. We are acting as if we have to find bargain basement players in order to save money to get some mythical big free agent who will never exist. They just want to be perpetually under the salary cap.

But psst...I have a secret...psst..Most of the good teams are over the salary cap. You have to spend money to win people. You will never see an NBA champion with a 40 million dollar payroll. You will never see an NBA champion with a bunch of 4-5 mill per year players. You will see at least one 15-20 million player, and in a lot of cases 2 of them.

Joe's a good distributor, but he doesn't break presses exceptionally well. His TO/Asst ratio is good, but that's largely due to him having games like Monday where he gets 17assts. He turns the ball over alot to be a true PG. He's definitely "getting the job done" right now. I think the most pressing issue is a defensive big man.

• Premium Member

Quote:

All I am saying is that it isn't the worst thing that could happen. We are acting as if we have to find bargain basement players in order to save money to get some mythical big free agent who will never exist. They just want to be perpetually under the salary cap.

But psst...I have a secret...psst..Most of the good teams are over the salary cap. You have to spend money to win people. You will never see an NBA champion with a 40 million dollar payroll. You will never see an NBA champion with a bunch of 4-5 mill per year players. You will see at least one 15-20 million player, and in a lot of cases 2 of them.

You also have to be prudent and not just spend money for the sake of spending money like the Knicks. You build your core of player like San Antonio, Detroit & Dallas then when the time is right, you bring in the right free agents to put you over the hump. Bringing in aging veterans on the down side of their careers at high salaries is detrimental to the rebuilding process.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Joe's a good distributor, but he doesn't break presses exceptionally well. His TO/Asst ratio is good, but that's largely due to him having games like Monday where he gets 17assts. He turns the ball over alot to be a true PG. He's definitely "getting the job done" right now. I think the most pressing issue is a defensive big man.

And I think that he is only going to get better at it. You have to remember that this is the 1st time that he has played point in the NBA and add the fact that he is playing with a bunch of 20 year olds in his 1st year with the team makes his performance even more impressive.

Quote:

Quote:

You also have to be prudent and not just spend money for the sake of spending money like the Knicks. You build your core of player like San Antonio, Detroit & Dallas then when the time is right, you bring in the right free agents to put you over the hump. Bringing in aging veterans on the down side of their careers at high salaries is detrimental to the rebuilding process.

He is not on the downside he is at his peak. He just turned 29. We need some veterans we already have a core. We technically only need a starter at one position, that is PG. And we need a defensive big, but not necessarily to start. If you can get a superstar veteran to run your team then it is better than bringing in a rookie or a mid level free agent. I much rather spend my hard earned season ticket money watching Marbury run the point than Ivey, Rondo or Earl freaking Watson. And if it takes spending 18 million to do it then fine. Everyone else at key positions on this team save JJ are still on rookie or cheap contract. By the time they are ready to resign, Marbury's deal will be almost up. We may have one or 2 years of being significantly over the salary cap, at which time we should be a player in the playoffs.

name one player on the spurs, suns, or pistons (I would argue the top 3 contenders) that make as much as starbury.

You can't

This has been debated to death. Starbury will put up stats but doesn't know how to win. I don't pay a guy the 5th highest salary in the league to do that

• Admin

well I was talking about fans nationwide. More people recognize him for what he is, an arrogant team killer. And yes, you can get 8apg and still not be a distributor. There's more to being a team player than getting a lot of assists. Will you give it up when your team needs it the most? Will you recognize that someone else might be in a better position to take the big shot than you are? Marbury just doesn't do that. His comments about "starbury" say it all.

I would rather watch philips arena burn to the ground than take a chance on Marbury, on the fifth team of his career, actually working out.

Quote:

name one player on the spurs, suns, or pistons (I would argue the top 3 contenders) that make as much as starbury.

You can't

This has been debated to death. Starbury will put up stats but doesn't know how to win. I don't pay a guy the 5th highest salary in the league to do that

Duncan makes 15 mil Marbury 16 mill

Detroit sheed makes 13 million but detroit benefits by acquiring players right when they emerged and were still cheap, like somebody will do with Al this year

Phoenix, They are paying Amare, and Marion both in the same range as Marbury

Add Marbury into this mix and you may essentially kill Josh Smith when he gets a taste of Steph's attitude. We have a hard enough time keeping his head in the game as it is. Secondly, you undermine the leadership of JJ and Al. Plus, you bring in a shoot first guard who has a possibility of bringing JJ's play down.

We have young guys who are gelling as a team together...why add in a rotten ingredient to kill that?