• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Monday Insider

Turf Wars Winners/Losers

by Chad Ford

Send an Email to Chad Ford

Also Below: Isiah Thomas strikes back | Has Iverson changed the answer? | Is Danny Fortson AWOL? | Money issues force strange cuts

With the preseason winding down and coaches ramping up for opening night, Insider revisits this month's camp battles and declares some winners and losers. Also, check out our breakdown of the Eastern Conference.

WESTERN CONFERENCE TURF WARS

DALLAS MAVERICKS

C: Raef LaFrentz vs. Shawn Bradley

The real battle here probably isn't at center. After a solid start to the preseason, Bradley predictable cooled as the month went on. By game four of the preseason, he was out of the starting lineup. Coach Don Nelson still loves the tall lineup that has Bradley, LaFrentz and Dirk Nowitzki on the frontline, but it doesn't look like we'll see it more than 20 minutes a game. Bradley's slide has led to an interesting battle at small forward with Eduardo Najera, Adreian Griffin and newcomer Walt Williams battling for minutes. Najera was the default starter last season, but Griffin has been getting the nod so far in the preseason. Williams may be the best solution offensively, but it will take him awhile to work himself into the mix. With Nellie's new-found emphasis on defense, it appears that Griffin may have won the starting job.

Opening Night Starting 5:

PG: Steve Nash

SG: Michael Finley

SF: Adreian Griffin

PF: Dirk Nowitzki

C: Raef LaFrentz

DENVER NUGGETS

SF: Nikoloz Tskitishvili vs. Rodney White

And the winner is . . . Ryan Bowen. Tskitishvili and White may be the future of the Nuggets, but right now both of the them stink. Neither player has a clue defensively and coach Jeff Bzdelik hasn't given either kid much time. Skita is averaging 11.8 mpg and 1.8 ppg in eight preseason games. White has gotten 14.8 mpg and averaged 5.8 ppg. Bowen hasn't been any better, but Bzdelik indicated that for now, he's the opening night starter. If Tskitishvili and White are slow to develop (Nene Hilario has been the most consistent rookie), the Nuggets' fortunes will go from bad to worse this season. Their opening night starting lineup averages a career 40.1 ppg. Only Howard is averaging more than 10 ppg in his career.

PG: Chris Whitney

SG: James Posey

SF: Ryan Bowen

PF: Juwan Howard

C: Mark Blount

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS

PF: Antawn Jamison vs. Danny Fortson vs. Troy Murphy

Danny Fortson may be the fourth-best rebounder in the NBA, Antawn Jamison may be their multi-million dollar man, but apparently neither player has anything on second-year forward Troy Murphy. Murphy hit the weight room this summer, worked on every aspect of game, and quietly stole the starting power forward job while Jamison and Fortson bickered in the corner. Murphy has averaged 10.6 ppg and an impressive 10.4 rpg so far for the Warriors. While Fortson may be a better rebounder and Jamison may be superior offensively, Murphy strikes a better balance up front. He's a bigger, better defender than either Jamison or Fortson and has an inside-outside game that gives the Warriors a lot of versatility. For now, Jamison will man the starting small forward position and Fortson will come off the bench.

PG: ">Bob Sura vs. Gilbert Arenas

Coach Eric Musselman tapped Sura early on as the starting point guard, but a preseason injury (strained right calf) combined with the scintillating play of Arenas may have changed his thinking. Arenas has averaged 10.6 ppg and 7.5 apg in eight starts. Musselman's concern is the turnovers. Arenas is logging 4.5 a game right now and he needs to cut that in half if he's going to completely earn Musselman's confidence. Once Sura returns, there will be a healthy debate all season about who the team's starting point guard is. But for now, Arenas is the man.

Projected Starting 5:

PG: Gilbert Arenas

SG: Jason Richardson

SF: Antawn Jamison

PF: Troy Murphy

C: Erick Dampier

HOUSTON ROCKETS

PF: Mo Taylor vs. Kenny Thomas vs. Eddie Griffin

An injury to Thomas (fractured right thumb) and a slow start by Taylor (9.2 ppg, 4.6 rpg) has opened the door for Griffin and he's been impressive. He leads the team in rebounding (7.4 rpg) and blocks (3.9 bpg) and has that lethal inside outside offensive game that coaches covet. Taylor may be pulling down the bigger dollars and Thomas may be more consistent, but Griffin's potential may prove to be too tantalizing for coach Rudy Tomjanovich. To alleviate some of the jam, look for Thomas to get big minutes at small forward behind Glen Rice. Rookie Bostjan Nachbar is being brought along slowly and Thomas has proved he can play the position. Taylor and Griffin will share time at the four.

C: Yao Ming vs. Kelvin Cato

Either Yao hasn't seen many NBA games or we're all in big trouble. When Yao claimed he wanted to be like Cato, even Cato himself was a bit stunned. After two games, we're not ready to proclaim him the next Wilt Chamberlin, but he isn't Kelvin Cato either. Two preseason games aren't much to go on, but Yao can play. It's just a matter of time. Don't be surprised in Cato is in the starting lineup on opening night. Coach Rudy T wants to bring Yao along slowly until he gets accustomed to the Rockets' system. But by the All-Star break, look for Cato to be Yao's towel boy.

Projected Starting 5:

PG: Steve Francis

SG: Cuttino Mobley

SF: Glen Rice

PF: Eddie Griffin

C: Kelvin Cato

LA CLIPPERS

SG: Eric Piatkowski vs. Quentin Richardson

Richardson suffered a sprained right knee in training camp and was able to play only two preseason games. Apparently that was enough to convince coach Alvin Gentry that Q was ready to be a starter. "More than likely, Q is going to start," Gentry. "We'll get scoring off the bench with Eric.... It's not etched in stone. We'll take a look at it and we'll see. Andre [Miller], Q and Pike probably will play together some. We're also happy with the way Marko [Jaric] played with Andre [Wednesday] night."

PG: Andre Miller

SG: Quentin Richardson

SF: Corey Maggette

PF: Elton Brand

C: Michael Olowokandi

LA LAKERS

SF: Rick Fox vs. Devean George

If Fox continues to throw upper cuts, coach Phil Jackson will have no choice but to start George. George signed a big contract this summer, but it hasn't translated into big numbers on the court in the preseason. He's averaged 7.2 ppg and 5 rpg but is shooting only 11 percent from the three point line. Fox isn't exactly lighting it up either, averaging 5.6 ppg and 3 rpg, but until George steps up his game, the starting job is Fox's to lose.

PG: Derek Fisher

SG: Kobe Bryant

SF: Rick Fox

PF: Samaki Walker

C: Soumaila Samake

MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

PG: Terrell Brandon vs. Troy Hudson vs. Rod Strickland

Brandon hasn't set a foot on the practice court, giving Hudson the job by default. But will newly signed veteran point guard Rod Strickland push Hudson back to the bench? "Troy's our starter," coach Flip Saunders said. "I'll tell you what, the way Troy played in the preseason, I don't care who would have been here, I don't think anyone would have beaten him out. So Troy's our starter, and that's not going to given away." So why did the Wolves bring in Strickland? Because Randy Livingston has been slowed by an ankle injury, and rookie Igor Rakocevic does not appear ready to handle the job. Hudson may be playing well, but he can't do it alone. Coach Saunders believes Strickland still can be an asset. "There's no question he has great court savvy when he plays," Saunders said. "He has great ability with the ball."

PG: Troy Hudson

SG: Wally Szczerbiak

SF: Kevin Garnett

PF: Joe Smith

C: Radoslav Nesterovic

MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

SG: Michael Dickerson vs. Wesley Person

With Dickerson ailing and Person misfiring, rookie Gordan Giricek has thrown his hat into the mix. Giricek has started six games for the Grizzlies in the preseason and averaged 15.3 ppg. His ability to shoot the ball and put it on the floor combined with his maturity (he's a 25-year-old rookie) has won over coach Sidney Lowe. The question is whether Giricek has enough to beat out Dickerson when he's healthy. Dickerson and Lowe recently had a heart-to-heart talk, with Dickerson telling his coach that he's healthy enough to play when the season starts. Dickerson also told Lowe it doesn't matter if he starts or comes off the bench. If he is ready to go, Dickerson will get the nod. But Giricek's play may pose a bigger problem for Shane Battier. Giricek has the size to play small forward and the word out of Memphis is that the team is seriously considering playing Battier with the second unit and starting Giricek at small forward.

6TH MAN: Stromile Swift vs. Drew Gooden

Both players have been phenomenal. But can they both get the minutes they want? Right now, things have been easier with Lorenzen Wright ailing. Swift has been starting at center in Wright's place and Gooden has been getting big minutes off the bench since Pau Gasol returned. Gooden has averaged 18 ppg and 11.5 rpg in the preseason, but coach Lowe said he may not see as many minutes in the regular season. Swift has averaged 13.6 ppg and 6.9 rpg. When Wright gets back, the crunch will really begin and it still looks like Swift is the odd man out. Expect those Mike Miller-for-Swift trade rumors to percolate all season.

PG: Jason Williams

SG: Michael Dickerson

SF: Shane Battier

PF: Pau Gasol

C: Lorenzen Wright

PHOENIX SUNS

SG: Joe Johnson vs. Penny Hardaway

The Suns shocked about everyone last season when they handed Johnson, a rookie, the starting job over Hardaway after a mid-season trade. Coach Frank Johnson told Hardaway at the start of the preseason that he'd have to earn his starting job back and so far, he's been true to his word. Hardaway (7 ppg, 5 rpg, 2.5 apg) has spent most of the preseason coming off the bench, while Johnson (13.3 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 2.7 apg) has blossomed in the starting role. Can Hardaway handle coming off the bench? Hardaway said he has enjoyed sitting on the bench while watching the club's rookies and second-year players improve. "The young guys need playing time," Hardaway said. "I think it helps a team like ours, because we've got a lot of young guys and they need the experience."

PF: Tom Gugliotta vs. Bo Outlaw vs. Amare Stoudemire

Gugliotta is the starter, but Stoudemire is seriously pressing him for playing time. Stoudemire's averaged 13 ppg and 6.9 rpg in just over 28 minutes a game. Gugliotta has struggled, averaging just 4.8 ppg and 4.8 rpg, in 22 mpg. Gugliotta is also shooting a meager 36 percent from the field. The Suns attribute the slow start to rust (he's missed most of the last two seasons with injuries) and claim that Googs' starting job is safe. Right now, anything Stoudemire gives them is a major bonus this season.

PG: Stephon Marbury

SG: Joe Johnson

SF: Shawn Marion

PF: Tom Gugliotta

C: Jake Tsakalidis

PORTLAND TRAILBLAZERS

PG: Damon Stoudamire vs. Jeff McInnis vs. Antonio Daniels

Blazers GM Bob Whitsitt is the Vince McMahon of turf wars. Every year he seems to go out and deliberately pick up a player or two who will spark a controversy. Last summer it was the acquisitions of Derek Anderson and Ruben Patterson. This summer it was the pickups of McInnis and Daniels. The Blazers have coveted a big playmaker for years and suddenly they have two of them.

Stoudamire has won the starting position, but he's really running neck and neck with McInnis. Both players have averaged similar numbers (McInnis 9.9 ppg, 4.4 apg; Stoudamire 9.2 ppg, 5.4 apg) and coach Maurice Cheeks plans on giving them similar minutes. "We have guys who are interchangeable," Cheeks said. "If you had a Jason Kidd or a John Stockton, there's no question who is going to have the ball in his hands. With these guys, I think you can alternate putting the ball in guys' hands and let them run a play, depending on the match-ups out on the court."

PG: Damon Stoudamire

SG: Derek Anderson

SF: Bonzi Wells

PF: Rasheed Wallace

C: Dale Davis

SACRAMENTO KINGS

SG: Doug Christie vs. Hidayet Turkoglu

Christie held off Turkoglu in camp and will get the starting nod but with Mike Bibby out for the next month, Turkoglu should be averaging 30 mpg in the early going. He's had a solid, if unspectacular preseason, averaging 13.3 ppg, 3 rpg and 3 apg. However, Christie's defense and court leadership are too much to overcome.

PG: Mike Bibby

SG: Doug Christie

SF: Peja Stojakovic

PF: Chris Webber

C: Vlade Divac

SAN ANTONIO SPURS

SG: Steve Smith vs. Emmanuel Ginobili

Ginobili's battled an ankle injury all camp that has slowed his progress. "I've never been a patient person in anything," Ginobili said. "And with this even less because it has never happened to me before. You have to understand I just arrived to the NBA and it's a huge dream, and the first month I almost did nothing. I'm very impatient. But I have to learn to just keep working, doing what I can and wait until it [improves]." Ginoboli's averaged just 14.2 ppg in five preseason games. He's averaged 4 ppg and 3 rpg but he's only made 31 percent of his shots from the field. Despite the slow start, the Spurs still aren't down on him. "He's a very competitive, very tough young man," coach Gregg Popovich said. "He's not going to back off anybody. I really believe he's going to end up being a [censored] of a player for us."

PG: Tony Parker

SG: Steve Smith

SF: Bruce Bowen

PF: Tim Duncan

C: David Robinson

SEATTLE SUPERSONICS

SG: Brent Barry vs. Desmond Mason

Brent Barry is coming off the best year of his career, but coach Nate McMillan is seriously considering giving Mason the starting nod this season.

"Brent has done a good job," McMillan said early in the season. "He did a good job last season and played well. Mase wants an opportunity and he is working hard. So that is a decision that I have to look at. If Mase is playing well enough to move into that spot, then that is definitely something we have to consider. That is a part of me making the decision and the players respecting that decision and making it work."

Mason has played well in the preseason. He's the Sonics second-leading scorer, averaging 14.3 ppg. But Barry's all-around game and his dead-eye three-point shooting (52 percent from beyond the arc) have secured him the starting job for now.

PG: Gary Payton

SG: Brent Barry

SF: Rashard Lewis

PF: Vladimir Radmanovic

C: Jerome James

UTAH JAZZ

SG: Matt Harpring vs. DeShawn Stevenson

After a slow start in camp, Stevenson started the last two preseason games for the Jazz and really stepped up to the challenge. His numbers don't blow you away, but he's making solid decisions on the court and is the team's most athletic player. Harpring has also played well (10.6 ppg, 4.4 rpg) but coach Jerry Sloan seems content to bring him off the bench in relief of Andrei Kirilenko and Stevenson. Calbert Cheaney has also played himself into the rotation averaging 7 ppg and 2.9 rpg in the pre-season.

PG: John Stockton

SG: DeShawn Stevenson

SF: Andrei Kirilenko

PF: Karl Malone

C: Jarron Collins

Isiah Thomas strikes back

The Isiah Thomas bash-fest has taken another twist for the worse this preseason as commentator after commentator write off the Pacers because of their coach. Almost everyone will agree that the Pacers may have the most lethal combination of athleticism and veteran savvy in the league. But most preseason previews are writing off the Pacers because of who's drawing up the plays.

Obviously sick of all the criticism, Thomas sat down with the Indianapolis Star on Sunday and passionately defended his record. Among the highlights . . .

Asked whether he was surprised by all of the criticism he received (like being ranked dead last by ESPN.com users in their top coaches poll), Thomas responded, "It's always some guy in Seattle, some guy in Boston, some guy in Atlanta. When some guy who's covering another team is saying 'word out of Indiana ' but hasn't talked to none of the players or coaches, how do you fight that? Come on now. I ain't had a losing season and I've been to the playoffs every year. And the teams that beat us [Philadelphia and New Jersey] went to the Finals. And it ain't like they swept us."

Thomas then blamed the loss of Al Harrington (who he claimed was the team's best player) and a mid-season trade for last season's swoon. "At that time he was playing better than Jermaine, better than Reggie [Miller]. He was the heart and soul of our team. He was our leader, and then he gets taken away. The other thing is, we make a trade [with Chicago last season] at mid-season and we have to absorb four other guys — the same four players who came from Chicago that they were losing with. I'll say it again: The same guys they were losing with, I won with them. And the guy I was winning with, they were losing with. You tell me."

So why does he get all of the bad publicity? "Because people always ask the people I beat about me. I'm going to say that to you again: People always ask the people I beat about me. They don't ask the people I work with every day, the players I coach every day, people I'm around every day. They always go find the guy we were in competition with, and I beat him. There's more people out there that like me than don't. It's just that the ones that don't have the loudest voice. But they're the ones I beat all the time. They're bitter and they're jealous. What can I do about that?"

Thomas answers critics, is proud of record

Mark Montieth / Indianapolis Star

Has Iverson changed the answer?

It's early, and as the season lags on, there's always time for tardiness. But for now, Allen Iverson is a changed man. No one is more grateful than coach Larry Brown.

"He doesn't like to practice, but that hasn't been an issue with me once [this season]," Brown told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "Being punctual hasn't been an issue once. So I don't even think about it, and you know if that's the case, then obviously that has been a priority with him. He has tried to do what's right. It's nice that you don't have to address issues and you can just coach."

Iverson is attempting to answer all the critics who questioned his work habits after the Sixers were bounced from the playoffs.

"I've tried to do everything that's asked of me," Iverson said. "That's what I'm supposed to do. That's what I get paid to do. But, I mean, there are a lot of benefits that come from it, because I think my teammates get a lot better, and we get, I guess, a lot better as a unit. But regardless of what I do and how well I do, there's still going to be people who say I can do more, and I can do this, that, and the third. I'm never going to be able to satisfy my critics, and that's why they're critics. You know what I'm saying? I just try to do the best that I can, and that's going to be enough for me, and it should be enough for the coaching staff and my teammates."

So far, Iverson keeping word on practice, punctuality

Ashley McGeachy Fox / Philadelphia Inquirer

Is Danny Fortson AWOL?

He's about to lose his starting job to a guy who averaged 5.9 ppg and 3.9 rpg. He's the subject of constant trade rumors and no matter what he does, he can't get any respect.

Is it any surprise that Danny Fortson has gone missing? Fortson has not been with the team the past week because of personal reasons, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. His absence was excused, but he was supposed to return to the team on Sunday. The Warriors heard nothing.

"Now we're going to evaluate things," GM Garry St. Jean said, adding, "I don't want to jump to things before I talk to him."

The Warriors probably wish he would go away. The team shopped him this summer but couldn't find a team willing to take the five remaining years of his contract off their hands. The team thought that Antawn Jamison would likely win the starting power forward position this summer, however a bulked up Troy Murphy has changed everyone's mind.

I would say Troy's earned the starting spot," coach Eric Musselman told the Chronicle. "He's just done a really good job."

"I think the work I put in over the summer is paying off," Murphy said. "It feels good that the coaching staff has enough confidence in me to play me during important situations in a game. I just have to keep building from here."

Big roster questions remain

Brad Weinstein / San Francisco Chronicle

Warriors pleased with the rise of Troy

Brad Weinstein / San Francisco Chronicle

Money issues force strange cuts

The Bulls waived point guard Erick Barkley just hours after trading for him. The Cavs dumped Nick Anderson just months after trading one of their leading scorers for him. The Wizards just swapped former starting point guard Chris Whitney for veteran George McCloud. Now there are reports he should keep his bags packed.

What's going on?

You can thank the infamous luxury tax for a number of odd moves the last few days. The Spurs were worried that Barkley's contract would push them just over the luxury-tax threshold, so they paid the Bulls, who are well under it, to trade for him and dump him. The Cavs pulled a similar trick. While they'll have to eat all of Anderson's $6 million salary this season, the trade allowed them to get Wesley Person's $7.7 million salary off the books next season. As for McCloud, the Wizards have a bunch of young players who they feel will have a bigger long-term impact on the franchise. McCloud averaged 8.8 ppg and 3.6 rpg. He can still play, the question was, will he? With Michael Jordan and Jerry Stackhouse eating all the minutes at the two, the team feels that McCloud may be a better fit elsewhere.

The Wizards have to cut two players from their roster today, but McCloud is resisting the move. "We'll get to see [today] what they are saying face to face," McCloud told the Washington Post. "The likelihood of me taking a buyout is 99 percent that I won't."

Other buyouts may also be in the works. Three Seattle papers reported Saturday that Kenny Anderson was trying to push the Sonics to buy out his contract. Anderson is upset about his playing time and may be willing to swallow some money (and save the Sonics some luxury tax this season) with a buyout.

Coach Nate McMillian, however, doesn't have any other options behind Payton. He seems intent on keeping Anderson on the team and quiet. "I'll put out a fire if I have to," McMillan said. "I'll stomp it. I will. I understand that it's not always the case that a player will come in and accept a role ... and I'll try and explain my reasoning for doing certain things. I have to. All guys are not just going to accept it and say 'OK, I'm going to make the most of it.' That's part of coaching. You're not always able to reach guys, but I have to try and get him to believe that [backup] role is important, because it is. How he plays in that particular role will have an effect on the success of this club."

Wizards, McCloud could discuss buyout

Marc J. Spears / Denver Post

Anderson demands Sonics buy him out

Percy Allen / Seattle Times