• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Anyone still thing the Hawks DON'T need a pg?

exodus

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think we need a PG, but I no longer think it has to be a pure distributor to get the young guns involved. I think we need a PG who will not be a ball hog, will bring the ball up under pressure, can play D, and can run the break.

It is clear that we want JJ holding the ball a lot on offense, and it is equally clear that we don't want him bringing it up

I only saw bits and pieces of the 3rd and 4th quarter. Saw Marvin taking his man off the dribble a couple times and getting to the rack, looking great, but not converting. Saw him looking pretty lazy at times too.

Can anyone add a little description to the stats I'm looking at? Were all his points after the game was decided, or was he also productive while it was still a competition?

Quote:

I only saw bits and pieces of the 3rd and 4th quarter. Saw Marvin taking his man off the dribble a couple times and getting to the rack, looking great, but not converting. Saw him looking pretty lazy at times too.

Can anyone add a little description to the stats I'm looking at? Were all his points after the game was decided, or was he also productive while it was still a competition?

the game was decided in the 1st quarter..

This is the first time I can remember when he drove and looked like he was trying to score instead of trying to draw a foul.

Usually he goes in and dives into someone out of control. This time he was going straight up and had some nice finishes in the lane. He popped a nice 3 too.

• Premium Member

I can't remember for sure, but as I recall, Marvin seemed to play fairly consistent throughout.

The player of the game for Hawks, though, definately had to be Childress. He was everywhere and gave it everything he had. (Many of the other guys did, too. We just don't have enough good players to hang with anyone in a fast tempo game IMO).

Quote:

We have a lot of SF who plays as PG, so what i mean is that if we put a center who can play at the low post we could be able to take an advantage taking the ball out for a clean shot from middle range.

Ball in and out to shoot. But we need a 5.

I couldn't agree more. We have a good amount of ball handlers on the team but not someone that we can point at and say "there's our floor leader". Even someone like a Brevin Knight who mainly distributes would work wonders for the entire team. We would have someone to break the press/trap as well as someone that could free up everyone else to create without the ball in their hands.

With that said, I also agree that our bigger need is down low. As much as it would help to have a bonafide PG, I think a C would help more. We would reduce points allowed in the paint and have someone that could open things up for the shooters also.

Either way, I think we could definitely benefit from both positions but a post defender looks more available in the draft versus a floor general.

Quote:

The Hawks have 12 turnovers at the half to a team who gives up over 101 ppg on defense. They had 12 turnovers at the half against Detroit too.

JJ has 6 turnovers at the half. I love his game but he isn't a pg.

No he is not, but he does not need a true pg either. He averages about three turnovers a game. JJ's assist to turn over ratio has been 2 to 1 his whole career and that has not gone up this year despite almost doubling his highest assist total in his career by year end.

A center is much more vital, then a PG/SG who can help with bringing he ball up and also adding some defensive pressure would be nice...

We are not far from being a complete team and a center is in my opinion #1 priority....