• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Can ATL gives PHX this year's 1st round pick?

emorystar

Right now we have I think the 4th worst record. The way we have played of late we could do worse but even if we stay put the worst pick we can wind up with is 7th AND THAT would take 3 teams jumping spots which has never happened. I just dont think you give up a top 7 pick yet. Lets add through the draft and see what we can do in trades and free agency. We improved this year and theres a good chance next years pick will be worse than 7. There are good players in every draft you just have to know what the hell your doing.

no matter how weak you think this draft is trading ATL's pick this year would be foolish.

you can pick up a decent big in the top 7. our problem as fans is the big will be a PF, not a C.

there is no true center in this draft. if you want to make the argument that someone like Aldridge is a center i'll give it to you on one condition, you add that he is a hybrid center. in the east you can get away with that. in essence there is no Robert Parrish in this draft.

• Moderators

The only way we could satisfy our trade obligations with Phoenix is to send our 2007/2008 (depending on protection) pick (since we won't make the playoffs this year) unless Phoenix agreed to take our #1 this year. Diesel has been arguing that we should try to do this and saying that the best thing for the Hawks would be making the playoffs so Phoenix would get our 2006 pick.

Unless we take Thomas and figure out something with either Al or Marvin (and if we do the prior I'm more for moving the latter), then that scenario seems 'best' to me. It may not be what many hawks fans like or 'want,' but reality must be accepted that we owe them a pick and next year's crop will likely be better than the current one (can you tell I'm generally underwhelmed with this year's draft)?

This is just a question cause I don't know the full details, but, do we just owe them a pick or does the previous trade spell it out which pick they will get?

I was under the impression that if we don't make the playoffs this year (as we obviously won't) we keep the pick due to lottery protection. Were I Phoenix, I would certainly not want this year's ATL pick when there is a good chance that the Hawks end up out of the playoffs next year too (but not with the 1-2-3 worst record) and they would therefore have a shot at the lottery in a possibly better year to draft in. The odds are slim, but they could then win 1st pick and take Oden.

They are good already anyway, so they may as well gamble.

• Moderators

Quote:

This is just a question cause I don't know the full details, but, do we just owe them a pick or does the previous trade spell it out which pick they will get?

I was under the impression that if we don't make the playoffs this year (as we obviously won't) we keep the pick due to lottery protection. Were I Phoenix, I would certainly not want this year's ATL pick when there is a good chance that the Hawks end up out of the playoffs next year too (but not with the 1-2-3 worst record) and they would therefore have a shot at the lottery in a possibly better year to draft in. The odds are slim, but they could then win 1st pick and take Oden.

They are good already anyway, so they may as well gamble.

If the pick got lucky in the lottery and moved into the top 3 Atlanta would retain it. We would only give up our 2007 pick if it is outside of the top 3 after the lottery. There is no way it turns into Oden and we aren't the ones doing the drafting.

Thanks AHF...I didn't know if the ownership of the pick was based on ranking at the end of the year or where the pick actually falls in the lottery. That's a much better scenario since it looks like we may be in the gray area of fighting for the 8th spot at best. It would have been a serious bummer to barely miss the playoffs - then Phoe gets our pick - then Phoe lucks out and gets the top pick (or even 2 or 3).