• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Chad Ford's Big Board Top Ten with Comments

KB21

01. LaMarcus Aldridge, 6'10", PF, Texas -- Great performance against West Virginia tempered by miserable outing against Big Baby and LSU. But overall skill set, combined with size make him No. 1 by a thread.

02. Tyrus Thomas, 6'9", PF, LSU -- Dominating performance against Texas and Duke have more and more scouts beginning to talk about Thomas as a potential No. 1 pick in the draft.

03. Andrea Bargnani, 7'0", PF, Italy -- GMs starting to back up international scouts opinions that Bargnani might be the best player in the draft. But who has the guts to pull the trigger with the No. 1 pick?

04. Joakim Noah, 7'0", PF/C, Florida -- He's been getting better all year and is peaking at the right time. If Noah had another 20 pounds on his frame, he might be No. 1.

05. Adam Morrison, 6'8", SF, Gonzaga -- Didn't have the dominating tournament he'd hoped for, but Morrison's stock is still in great shape. A few teams (read Seattle and Portland) would still take him No. 1.

06. Josh McRoberts, 6'10", SF/PF, Duke -- Strong performance in the tournament may lead him to declare for the draft. Needs to stay another year in school, but if he declares, he'll go high.

07. Rudy Gay, 6'9", SF, Connecticut -- Gay's been solid for UConn in the tournament, but you expect more than solid from a potential No. 1 pick. The tournament hurt more than helped his stock.

08. Brandon Roy, 6'5", SG, Washington -- Roy's stellar play for Washington in the tournament is icing on an incredible season. He might be the most complete guard in the draft.

09. Randy Foye, 6'4", PG/SG, Villanova -- Great tournament for Foye. He's tough, smart, can shoot and proved that he can run a team when Kyle Lowry wasn't on the floor. Wasn't Foye's fault Villanova didn't make it to the Final Four.

10. Al Horford, 6'9", PF, Florida -- Great game against Villanova had scouts buzzing again. He's big, athletic, quick, tough . . . and proved again that he can really pass. He's probably a better prospect than Shelden Williams.

Morrison and McRoberts are overrated, IMO, but this is a good list overall. I figure Atlanta will be getting on of the four listed at the top: Aldridge, Thomas, Bargnani, or Noah. -- My Comments

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Quote:

Morrison and McRoberts are overrated, IMO, but this is a good list overall. I figure Atlanta will be getting on of the four listed at the top: Aldridge, Thomas, Bargnani, or Noah.
-- My Comments

Agree on both counts.

I personally would prefer Noah (passing, mobility at the 4/5) or Aldridge (low post scoring, interior defense) because they offer skills that aren't duplicated by Josh Smith and/or Marvin Williams.

I love Tyrus Thomas's ability to change the game defensively though. If we have the opportunity to get him, he's the guy I would take, and I would have no hesitation to go with a front court of Thomas, Smith, and Williams next year. We would lack in interior offense, but the interior defense and rebounding would be much improved over the long term. There's not many front courts that will give those three problems anyway. If the Suns can play the 6'10" Stoudemire and the 6'9" Diaw at center, then the Hawks can play Tyrus Thomas or Josh Smith at center.

• Premium Member

Quote:

If the Suns can play the 6'10" Stoudemire and the 6'9" Diaw at center, then the Hawks can play Tyrus Thomas or Josh Smith at center.

You would need a more traditional PG for that lineup to work on the offensive end.

Regardless, the Hawks would have to forfeit their games against the Miami Shaq's. He'd score 150 points. wink.gif

I hope we sign Wilcox or Nene in the offseason and I would probably look to start one of them at the 5. I'd then let Smoove, Marvin and Thomas battle it out for the starting 3 and 4 positions. It wouldn't really matter to me who started because whoever didn't start should get a lot of minutes backing up the 3 and the 4. That said, I think we could certainly get away with playing the 3 of them together up front for stretches now, and as they got bigger and stronger, we could do it even more.

I like Thomas, but please no more 6-9 forwards Billy!!

and draft Bargnani a 7 footer with skill and upside!

Than put Bargnani at PF like Dirk is playing right now and get him a defensive minded center who dosen't score similar to Diop to go along with Marvin, Joe and James or Claxton at point.

a 7-0 who plays on the perimeter is not the 7-0 that most think of when stating a player of such height. has it made Hedu a better player or rebounder (being 6-10), how long did it take Dirk (a talented and dedicated player who returns to his old coach each offseason).

what about Skita?

Quote:

a 7-0 who plays on the perimeter is not the 7-0 that most think of when stating a player of such height. has it made Hedu a better player or rebounder (being 6-10), how long did it take Dirk (a talented and dedicated player who returns to his old coach each offseason).

what about Skita?

That's why i said get a defensive minded center who dosen't need to score

O please Skita can't do [censored] that Bargnani can do.

I have Channel Plus it's italian and i watched like 5 of his games but i don't know what they talk about since it's Italian. I would watch more but the game times are different than here

I would resign him even if we were to draft Thomas if we can't get value for him in trade right now AND if we could resign him at $8M a season or so to start. Signing him to that amount would make him very tradeable at a future date.

In addition, if we drafted Thomas, I could envision a scenario where Marvin, Smoove, Chillz or some combo of the 3 could be traded if they could bring the right player back in return. For instance, I could see trading Smoove AND Marvin for Jermaine O'Neal or Bosh.

O'Neal (or Bosh)

Thomas

Al/Chillz

JJ

PG

I'd rather trade Al and Marvin or Al and Smoove but to get an All Star big man, we might have to part with two youngsters.

It is amazing how many of you all want to relegate Zaza to the bench when he is only 21 and became a 12/7 player in his first year starting. Hell, if Aldridge or Bargnani or Tyrus Thomas or whomever did that next year they would be rookie of the year candidates. If we draft a big man it should be for either, depth or at power forward.

Quote:

I would resign him even if we were to draft Thomas if we can't get value for him in trade right now AND if we could resign him at $8M a season or so to start. Signing him to that amount would make him very tradeable at a future date.

In addition, if we drafted Thomas, I could envision a scenario where Marvin, Smoove, Chillz or some combo of the 3 could be traded if they could bring the right player back in return. For instance, I could see trading Smoove AND Marvin for Jermaine O'Neal or Bosh.

O'Neal (or Bosh)

Thomas

Al/Chillz

JJ

PG

I'd rather trade Al and Marvin or Al and Smoove but to get an All Star big man, we might have to part with two youngsters.

Man we aren't getting O'neal or Bosh, or KG or Lebron, can we stick to realistic scenerios please?

Quote:

O'Neal (or Bosh)

Thomas

Al/Chillz

JJ

PG

haha Why in the heck would you pick Thomas to play 3 and than trade Marvin or Smoove who are better than him right now and have more experience over another rookie.

Damn!!

Quote:

It is amazing how many of you all want to relegate Zaza to the bench when he is only 21 and became a 12/7 player in his first year starting. Hell, if Aldridge or Bargnani or Tyrus Thomas or whomever did that next year they would be rookie of the year candidates. If we draft a big man it should be for either, depth or at power forward.

Defense

Quote:

I love Tyrus Thomas's ability to change the game defensively though. If we have the opportunity to get him, he's the guy I would take, and I would have no hesitation to go with a front court of Thomas, Smith, and Williams next year. We would lack in interior offense, but the interior defense and rebounding would be much improved over the long term. There's not many front courts that will give those three problems anyway. If the Suns can play the 6'10" Stoudemire and the 6'9" Diaw at center, then the Hawks can play Tyrus Thomas or Josh Smith at center.

The Suns can afford to do it because they have good coaching and can actually score.

we can. I LOVE what Zaza has done this year and I hope he continues to get better. That said, I think he is still as much a PF as a Center and it would be nice to have a better defensive presence back there.

At any rate, I don't think Thomas, Bargnani, Noah or Aldridge will be ready to be starting Centers in the NBA next year so unless we bring in someone via trade or free agency, I see Zaza starting for us again next year.