• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I love JJ, but we got raped in the deal

Dukegotgame

who in combination with Diaw would be ANYWHERE NEAR as good as JJ. Right now, nbadraft.net has Richard Roby at #20 and draftexpress.com has Corey Brewer at #20 and that is assuming that Noah, Thomas, Aldridge, Horford, Gay and several other underclassmen declare. NO WAY would I trade JJ for Diaw, Corey Brewer and a top 3 protected pick next year.

I've seen what Diaw could do with virtually the same supporting cast that JJ has and it is not even close. Diaw was an after thought throw in the JJ trade for a reason. He was not as good as Chillz or Smoove and barely any better than Danta.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Quote:

i still believe he would be better than anything else we have now, even under woody

So Diaw is currently better than JJ in your world?

Reading comprehension 101

if you knew how to infer, it is painfully obvious everyone here including me is talking about our options of who to pair with JJ. Thus, JJ is excluded from this list. Thanks for playing, genius

I agree totally. If I had a dollar every time Boris had wide ass open shots in Hawk gear, only to pass the ball out, my student loans would be paid with change coming back. He probably would've opted for France if the deal wasn't made so to assume he would've had the same stats here doesn't hold much water. Make no mistakes, he has skills. But he never, EVER, displayed much of them or even bothered to when the occasion called for it. He stole $$$ in Hawk gear, constantly whining about the Hawks (i.e. coaching staff) needing to adjust to 'his style' of play. Isn't it the PLAYER'S responsibility to make the adjustments, especially if you're coming off your ROOKIE SEASON where you didn't remind anyone of Alex English? I'm glad he's doing something in Phoenix; it's too bad he didn't bother to here.

Guest Walter

The year under Woody was without JT, SAR, and Theo. That's 50 PPG. I'm not sure when Big Dawg went but that would have been another 20 PPG. We had nobody to score so somebody had to!!! Even Diaw took more shots.

Unfortunately, few here can see the value of Diaw with players who can score and were willing to send him packing because we had a coach who didn't like his game and we didn't have players he could set up and play off of. Diaw is a unique player with a rare skill set. He becomes an offensive threat once he makes others an offensive threat. Don't be so short-sighted in assessing his year with Woody and alongside not one then proven legitimate offensive weapon besides Walker. We are building towards the future and Diaw is exactly the player we'll need in a year. In fact, every team could use a Diaw.

BTW, aside from scoring his FG%, 3pt%, rebounding, and defense were better under Stotts. Realize that was his first NBA year. Considering the quantum leap this year doesn't it surprise you that his stats under Woody don't reflect improvement?

W

I definitely agree. Besides if your playing the minutes he plays and your team scores 120 points every night

you're going to have some fat stats. In their transition style of play everybody gets lots of shots, rebounds, and assists. The Hawks averaged what, about 92pts last year?

At the time of the trade I'm sure the things we gave up to get JJ were rank in order of importance:

1. salary

2. protected 1st rounder

3. Laker 1st rounder

4. Diaw

I bet they wanted Diaw but as far as his value to Atlanta it was similar to how we valued Donta Smith. Now that Diaw is producing maybe the rank has changed somewhat:

1. salary

2. protected 1st rounder

3. Diaw

4. Laker pick this year in a weak draft

I'm not even sure that Diaw would have played for us this year, he might have went back to France if we hadnt packaged him in a trade. If he had played he's still pretty much a tweener player like we already have tons of so I doubt who woulda saw much court time. Diaw is a good role player and good teams need good role players. We need stars and got one even if we mainly had to overpay in salary.

you guys do realizw diaw has been playing this well the whole year!!! you also realizw it has been confirmed the coaches hear told him not to try to create for himself or others.. just to take open shots.

i dont know how many of you actually play or have played basketball but if i coach tells you that, i do not think i would be feeling free to shot either... it basically says your coach has no confidence in you!

Quote:

Quote:

Diaw was not a good fit here period

He was a good fit here with Terry Stotts. He's a good fit with D'antoni. He was a good fit overseas. He only wasn't a "good fit" under Woodson.

W

Stotts is no longer our coach.

D'Antoni isn't our coach.

We root for an NBA team, not an overseas team.

The fact that he didn't produce under Woodson and the fact that we were able to parlay him into getting JJ is the greatest asset that Diaw was to us.

Quote:

it has been confirmed the coaches hear told him not to try to create for himself or others.. just to take open shots.

prove this, show me a quote

No one EVER told him not to create for himself or others. First of all, taking open shots is creating for yourself. Secondly, he was asked to take WIDE OPEN shots as well as trying to create, not instead.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

i still believe he would be better than anything else we have now, even under woody

So Diaw is currently better than JJ in your world?

Reading comprehension 101

if you knew how to infer, it is painfully obvious everyone here including me is talking about our options of who to pair with JJ. Thus, JJ is excluded from this list. Thanks for playing, genius

I infer from this that you are a prick. Next time try writing what you mean there was no discussion of who to pair with JJ in your post or in any of the 14 posts leading up to it, only the fact that many believe Diaw would not work on our team and your belief Diaw is a stud who would be almost as good playing PG/SG here as playing PF/C in Phoenix (which is laughable):

Quote:

2 first round picks is huge... even if they are just mid firsts

we got josh smith who could eventually be a top 10 player in this league at 17!

anyone who says diaw is a fluke does not know basketball period. he has every skill needed.

the problem with diaw here was woody

however, while i doubt he would be playing as well here as he is in PHX under woody, i still believe he would be better than anything else we have now, even under woody

if we have to give up a player who can play like diaw because of our coach, something is wrong

Quote:

that you consistantly throw up Terry Stotts name as if Diaw had some sort of success under him and then completely regressed with Woodson. That's just ridiculous. If anything, the reason he didn't work out with Woodson was completely evident under Terry Stotts. The difference is that he was given a rookie pass in his first season. In his second season, Woodson wanted him to shoot the ball more. Not chuck up shots. Not refuse to pass the ball. Not refuse to defend. Only to shoot the ball when he had open looks and not be detrimental to the offense. He REFUSED to do that. It's amazing that you consistantly refuse to recognize this.

That's what the internet is for: repeating yourself ad infinitum, ignoring all evidence to the contrary.

Quote:

2 first round picks is huge... even if they are just mid firsts

we got josh smith who could eventually be a top 10 player in this league at 17!

This year's draft is so weak, most of the picks outside of the lottery would be 2nd round talent any other year.

Agree on next year's pick really determining the final word on the trade.

You said:

Quote:

Unfortunately, few here can see the value of Diaw with players who can score and were willing to send him packing because we had a coach who didn't like his game and we didn't have players he could set up and play off of. Diaw is a unique player with a rare skill set. He becomes an offensive threat once he makes others an offensive threat.

We needed for DIAW to score more because we DID NOT have a lot of players who could score like Phoenix does. That is precisely the point. He did not fit here. Diaw is a complimentary player who can be extreemely effective under the right circumstances. Those circumstances did not exist here last year.

In addition, people were already complaining that we had too many SFs with the addition of Marvin in the draft. Would you have rather sent Smoove or Chillz (who were actually producing under Woody) to Phoenix in lieu of Diaw? I have NO doubt they would have preferred to have either of them instead of Diaw in the deal.

If we still had Diaw, where would he be playing? Ahead of Al at PF? Ahead of Smoove at SF? Ahead of Joe at SG? Ahead of Zaza at Center? At PG? He had already failed at that. I'm sure that before D'Antoni put him there, you were saying that we need to try Boris at Center. Yeah right!

• Moderators

Dukegotgame - Sorry about the prick comment above. I do think your attack was unnecessarily condescending and belittling but that isn't an excuse for me taking a shot at you. I'd edit but it is past the deadline.

Quote:

All we can do is imagine a backcourt of him and JJ. Only because it was impossible, being that phoenix wouldn't give up JJ unless they got Diaw.

AND, he was not a backcourt player. In phoenix he thrives as a forward.

AFH, my first post on this topic states i would like to see him and jj pair in up together in a backcourt.

lol seriously learn to read before you make some smart ass comment. nobody here thinks diaw is better than jj and to ask me if i do is plain stupid

• Admin

nobody is debating his talent. He was drafted because he had talent. It's the fact that he didn't fit here and that you refuse to acknowledge why exactly that was. You just keep blaming Woodson and sticking your head back in the sand when people try to respond. He was NEVER told to not pass the ball. He was only asked to take open shots. Only a fool would refuse to see the logic behind that request.