• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I love JJ, but we got raped in the deal

Dukegotgame

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diaw isn't a fluke in the Suns system. He was a complete waste in our system obviously; whether the blame lies on BK for not seeing the talent or Woody not being able to draw out the talent, I don't know. I'm sicker of reading threads with this subject more than I'm sick of reading ones about how we should've drafted CP3.

It amazes me that people throw the word "rape" around like a rag doll. You, as a Duke fan, should be staying away from this word right now. Rape is one of the most heinous crimes that can be committed, yet you cheapen it by putting in a context of a sports trade. If you knew someone that had been a victim of rape, you would not use this word so carelessly. Please think about how you say things and what words actually mean before using them.

And for the record the JJ trade was a good trade. Diaw didn't want to play for Woody or the Hawks. He will get exposed in the playoffs. The picks may or may not pan out, but we had to get someone in here to energize the franchise and JJ was that guy. With a couple of more moves this franchise will be assending quickly.

We did not get rapped at all in the deal to land Joe. Boris would have never worked out here, the main reason he is playing so well is because he is playing the 4, sometimes the 5 for the Suns. He fits their system very well thats all. If he is with any other team he most likley dosnt put up near half the stats he is putting up right now. Joe on the other hand, is one of the best scorers in the league, and a perfect player to build our team around.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Diaw was not a good fit here period

He was a good fit here with Terry Stotts. He's a good fit with D'antoni. He was a good fit overseas. He only wasn't a "good fit" under Woodson.

W

• Moderators

Diaw was never an impact player in Atlanta under any coach and never has succeeded at a guard position which is where he would have played in Atlanta. He has succeeded because he has proven he can play PF/C in an open, free flowing offense and has really stepped up his game.

Atlanta got its first star in a decade and Duke wants to say we got raped? Come on.

I agree with blackhawkdown that we gave too much but it isn't a matter of getting raped. This deal will still work out well for both teams. I just think we could have gotten it done with less protection on the Atlanta pick.

Guest Walter

I don't believe we were "raped" either, but I also know the extreme promise I saw in Diaw prior to the draft and in his rookie year wasn't a fluke. Please, don't act like this year was the only time you could see it either. We all saw it his rookie year. What happened next year? Woody.

W

Woody is one of many factors. Diaw's attitude is another one, as is playing on a loaded Phoenix team, getting a fresh start, getting over his injury, getting a boost of confidence from playing in france, and playing in a more european system.

I was one of boris' biggest supporters, but let's not act like he was in the running for ROY his rookie season. He averaged 4.5ppg/4.5rpg/2.4apg in plenty of minutes (25+). That's not exactly stellar. His second season he averaged close to the same stats in just 18mpg so I fail to see the major impact of Woody other than minutes: 4.8/2.6/2.3

• Admin

that you consistantly throw up Terry Stotts name as if Diaw had some sort of success under him and then completely regressed with Woodson. That's just ridiculous. If anything, the reason he didn't work out with Woodson was completely evident under Terry Stotts. The difference is that he was given a rookie pass in his first season. In his second season, Woodson wanted him to shoot the ball more. Not chuck up shots. Not refuse to pass the ball. Not refuse to defend. Only to shoot the ball when he had open looks and not be detrimental to the offense. He REFUSED to do that. It's amazing that you consistantly refuse to recognize this.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I'm real worried about giving up that extra 1st round draft pick this year considering the draft is so deep this year.
wink.gif

Not to mention that it looks like it's going to be the #20 pick in the draft. (Phoenix fans were expected a lottery pick).

It's next year's pick that tips the trade one way or the other IMO.

2 first round picks is huge... even if they are just mid firsts

we got josh smith who could eventually be a top 10 player in this league at 17!

anyone who says diaw is a fluke does not know basketball period. he has every skill needed.

the problem with diaw here was woody

however, while i doubt he would be playing as well here as he is in PHX under woody, i still believe he would be better than anything else we have now, even under woody

if we have to give up a player who can play like diaw because of our coach, something is wrong

Quote:

It amazes me that people throw the word "rape" around like a rag doll. You, as a Duke fan, should be staying away from this word right now. Rape is one of the most heinous crimes that can be committed, yet you cheapen it by putting in a context of a sports trade. If you knew someone that had been a victim of rape, you would not use this word so carelessly. Please think about how you say things and what words actually mean before using them.

And for the record the JJ trade was a good trade. Diaw didn't want to play for Woody or the Hawks. He will get exposed in the playoffs. The picks may or may not pan out, but we had to get someone in here to energize the franchise and JJ was that guy. With a couple of more moves this franchise will be assending quickly.

Please shut up. Nobody has even been charged of anything at Duke. I have been a fan of their BBall team since i was young, but I attend LSU so its not like I care much about the overall university. Still you sound like a fool. Take the stick out of your ass

• Admin

We got lucky with Josh Smith. Nobody ever expected him to fall that low.

Diaw has plenty of skillz. NObody ever questioned those. That's why we drafted him in the first place. His heart is what I questioned.

Explain to me how Woodson was the problem? It has been well documented that all he asked Diaw to do was to shoot the ball enough to not hurt his teammates. Basically, take wide open shots. Hell, people on this site were saying the same things LONG before it ever surfaced in the media that Woodson had asked as much from him. He hurt the team by refusing to take open shots. How is that the coaches fault? Apart from that Diaw was given free reign to use his versatility to its fullest extend.

We didn't give up a player who could play. That was the problem, he wouldn't play, as needed, here.

Boris's per 40 numbers were better under Mike Woodson than they were under Terry Stotts. Boris barely averaged 7 points per 40 minutes under Terry Stotts in 2003-2004. That jumped to over 10 points per 40 minutes in 2004-2005 under Mike Woodson. His PER rating is also higher under Woodson than it was under Stotts.

So, basically he was a nearl worthless player with both Stotts and Woodson, but he was slightly better under Woodson.