• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Andrew Jones is retarded...

chillzatl

• Admin

After seeing him in last years spring training, I knew he would be a much better hitter. But I am shocked at just how much smarter and more controlled he is at the plate now.

Last night he basically baited the pitcher into giving him exactly what he wanted, and he took him deep for the 2nd time in the game. In the first at bat the pitcher was owning Andrew with breaking balls, then the idiot grooves a fastball down the middle and Drew takes him deep. In the 2nd at bat, the guy is owning him again with Breaking balls. So he has Drew down 2 strikes, again. But Drew knows he's not going to groove a fastball again, so he steps in a little and waits on the outside breaking ball. Naturally he gets it and takes him deep. That shows a level of awareness at the plate that I didn't think he was capable of.

Today, against Glavine he showed more of that. Glavine was owning him with breaking balls, which have typically been his weakness. In his first at bat, he grounds out to first. In his second at bat, Glavine is still throwing all breaking balls. So down 2 strikes, he steps up in the the box to the point that he's almost on the grass and waits for the breaking ball, Bam, HOMER.

Again, i'm just shocked at how much more intelligent he seems up there. Not only is he hitting things that he couldn't hit with his old, wussy stance. But he's just an all around smarter hitter.

Agree (except with your choice of thread title)...at first I thought it was all due to his widening his batting stance (giving him a more solid base)...but he's also obviously batting a lot smarter. It seemed to really kick in last year after Chipper went down and the Braves really needed him to pick up his offense.

I used to use him as an example (bad one) when talking to my son (who was in little league) about batting. Now we talk about the advantage of the wider stance and use AJ as a positive example. Good on him!

The Mets have never been able to beat the Braves in these last 15 yrs. I think it became a psychological thing back in '98, and now they just feel like they can't. It's like the Braves in the post-season.

I felt when this first series started that the Mets really needed to win 2/3 to make a statement. They may still overcome this as the season goes along, but they really took a step back by dropping this first Braves series at home.

Could be the best thing for us if the Mets make it a horse race to the finish this year (unless they beat us out).

Braves have usually been cruising late in the year(s) recently. Maybe a tight divisional race will be a blessing and have us more ready for the playoffs.

I don't think all those things need to happen. I would like to see Chipper and Renteria healthy. I'd also like to see a legit closer surface. I thought it might be Devine, but he's too green. He is so nasty, but he lets the pressure get to him.

The Mets have more holes than it seems. Their 10-2 start made them look invincible.

Quote:

Could be the best thing for us if the Mets make it a horse race to the finish this year (unless they beat us out).

Braves have usually been cruising late in the year(s) recently. Maybe a tight divisional race will be a blessing and have us more ready for the playoffs.

I agree. If the Braves' blood pressure is higher through the regular season, maybe we'll have a pulse going into the post season.

It's really very common for guys with electric stuff to struggle for the first time on facing AAA or higher competition. The hitters become more disciplined and better breaking-ball hitters. A hanging slider can get crushed by a ML hitter, whether it breaks 18 inches or not.