TEXANS TAKE WILLIAMS!!

Lascar78

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2426003

The Texans have passed on Bush and taken DE Mario Williams. Crazy.

I look forward to watching the NFL draft tommorrow, the only draft worth watching (early on) other than the NBA draft.

My big hope is that Lendale White falls to the steelers.

I have a question, are the saints allowed to sign the #2 pick whenever they want? Or is the #1 team the only one who can sign prematurely?

Big Daddy Wilkinson....oh wait. Steve Emtman...oh wait. Andray Bruce....OH WAIT! You're probably too young to remember some of those. grin.gif Russell Maryland was OK for the Cowboys. Actually, it was Bruce Smith. Peppers should've been a #1, and he is vg.

Seriously, though...I think that if Williams went #2, it wouldn't improve his projection. I don't believe in putting undue importance on trends like these. Besides, you could say similar things about RB's going #1 (or even top 3). Ki-Jana Carter anyone?

I think Williams will be a strong DE. He'll probably be a pro-bowler at some time. It's a safe pick in that regard. Reggie Bush would've been a riskier choice, but he has greater potential to be a franchise player. I think the best RB's are so often taken in the mid to low first round. Perhaps that's what the Texans are thinking. Who knows what they're thinking?

Basically, with this pick you are asking Williams to transform your D. If he doesn't turn into a Julius Peppers, a Reggie White, a Bruce Smith, this will be a bad choice in hindsight. Very few defensive players have that Peppers-like or Raw Lewis-like effect on a D. Very few can make a mediocre D into a very good one. I guess the Texans think they got one of those players here.

Picking #1 is TOUGH. You almost don't want the #1 pick. I would rather have like #6 and #20 than #1. I guess most teams would. You have to pay the #1 so much freaking dough that he hasn't earned, that the pressure is absurd! You don't want #1 unless there is a BONA FIDE FRANCHISE QB on the board. Maybe Young was that guy (he sure looks AWESOME), but I think people are scared of taking athletic black QB's so high because of the past flops. Besides, the Texans were commited to Carr.

I'm not sure I would've had the cojones to take Williams with that #1 with Bush and Young on the board. Pure balls, TX. Pure balls.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Reggie Bush would've been a riskier choice, but he has greater potential to be a franchise player.

If there ever was a sure thing...

Reggie Bush dominated the HS ranks and the college ranks. In the open field, he's liable to make the best defensive player look bad.

Williams... Honestly seems to have come out of nowhere. I mean.. He played in 2003 and 2004.. .what did he do?

I would dare to say that this was even a safe pick. I think this guy will be good but not stellar. I don't know if he will be in a pro bowl. I don't believe he will. When you pass up Reggie Bush, you better get a stellar player...

Especially when your offense sucks as bad as their do..

The point I was getting toward is that historically, offensive players have turned out better than defensive players. Granted there isn't any real relevance when a player is drafted to how they will turn out. But still... You were able to rattle off 3 defensive guys (all of which I'm familiar with smile.gif ) compared to one offensive guy. And I knew Ki-Jana was gonna be brought up, but here's one back for ya - Courtney Brown.

History aside, there's just no way you allow yourself to pass on a Reggie Bush. I forget which sports guy I heard it from, but in 10 years there will be more Mario Williams clones. How many Reggie Bush clones will be there in the same time span? Contracts be damned, I would've found a way to make it happen unless it was just beyond reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

Quote:

Reggie Bush would've been a riskier choice, but he has greater potential to be a franchise player.

Reggie Bush dominated the HS ranks and the college ranks. In the open field, he's liable to make the best defensive player look bad.

Williams... Honestly seems to have come out of nowhere. I mean.. He played in 2003 and 2004.. .what did he do?

I would dare to say that this was even a safe pick. I think this guy will be good but not stellar. I don't know if he will be in a pro bowl. I don't believe he will. When you pass up Reggie Bush, you better get a stellar player...

Yeah he dominated the mighty PAC 10 with his mighty 15 carries per game with his INFERIOR supporting cast.

Please, Reggie Bush can't pass protect, stop the run, or stop the pass. Those areas are the biggest reason Houston only got 3 wins not their running game.

Reggie Bush taking pressure off of David Carr is a joke. Was Reggie Bush going to block for Carr? With no respect for the Texans Oline people would load the box, how does that take pressure off of Carr?

• 2 years later...

bump

</font>

<font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

</font>

<hr />

<font class="post">

<hr /><font class="post">

Yeah he dominated the mighty PAC 10 with his mighty 15 carries per game with his INFERIOR supporting cast.

Please, Reggie Bush can't pass protect, stop the run, or stop the pass. Those areas are the biggest reason Houston only got 3 wins not their running game.

Reggie Bush taking pressure off of David Carr is a joke. Was Reggie Bush going to block for Carr? With no respect for the Texans Oline people would load the box, how does that take pressure off of Carr?

Man you guys look so foolish now. It's funny that I was the only one who thought the Williams pick was safer. You clowns always go with the consensus and almost never give me credit for knowing anything about prospects. I routinely make good calls in both the NBA and NFL draft, and you guys still insist on going with hype. Going with hype takes lots of reasoning ability. Teach me! Teach me!

</font>

<hr />

<font class="post">

The only clown is the guy that bumps threads from over 2 years ago. Bush would have been a safer pick at a position of more impact. I'm still not sure Houston made the right decision. Houston's defense still sucks with Mario, Bush would fit in well with Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson.

• Moderators

I don't think Bush will ever be a significant player because he is afraid of contact. I was more surprised they passed on Texas product Vince Young. Of the top few guys, they probably made the right call but Williams isn't a world beater or anything just yet. I am just underwhelmed with Bush and question whether Young will ever be accurate enough to have sustained success at QB.