• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Maybe you can help me to understand

rascurrein

Batista is here in Uruguay, and he was on a TV show today, and he saids something that make me think "my teammates were laughing and playing cards after we were beated; i'd said to them why are you laughing after we have beated for 20 points". What is so funny about loosing?

So the only thing important is the money, and as long as they continue getting payed, doesnt matter if their loose.

In my country if a team loose could happen anything but lough. Maybe we are savages.

Quote:

Batista is here in Uruguay, and he was on a TV show today, and he saids something that make me think "my teammates were laughing and playing cards after we were beated; i'd said to them why are you laughing after we have beated for 20 points". What is so funny about loosing?

So the only thing important is the money, and as long as they continue getting payed, doesnt matter if their loose.

In my country if a team loose could happen anything but lough. Maybe we are savages.

it's why people like me are being turned off by the NBA. it's a lifestyle.

as for you being a savage, hehe i'd make the argument that you are normal. they're the ones living on the fringe of society, speaking of the NBA players.

^^Nicely said gsuteke. While I wouldn't expect the players to dwell on a bad loss too long, it is bothersome to think that playing cards and laughing may have been the norm after the many buttkickings we received. You are indeed just realizing a bit of the culture of the NBA. A great game that I love is unfortunately being degraded by more and more immature young adults. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want the league to be dominated by flat-line personalities like Tim Duncan. It's quite normal when you have so many young men being thrown into the limelight to not understand the discipline needed to be a true professional. Still, with more and more really young guys coming into the league, oftentimes from broken homes and crime-ridden environments, it's depressing.

Quote:

It's quite normal when you have so many young men being thrown into the limelight to not understand the discipline needed to be a true professional. Still, with more and more really young guys coming into the league, oftentimes from broken homes and crime-ridden environments, it's depressing.

This is what i don't get it. Young players reaching NBA and it seems that they want nothing else, so they make a million and don't care if they loose!!!!?

I like the players who get angry after a lost game.

Maybe this is one of the majors problems of the Hawks.

I think the number of losses takes a toll on the psyche. If you lost 69 games in an 82 season, and you beat yourself up about each one, you'd go crazy. You would get numb to it after a while.

It's like in medicine when one of your patients dies. The first time, it is a blow to the gut. Then, it stings less the more times you have to deal with it. In some specialties (e.g. Dermatology smile.gif) it doesn't happen very much. In critical care, 1 in 4 patients who goes into the ICU dies. If the doctors got bent out of shape every time they lost one, they'd never get any work done.

They have to use defense mechanisms to cope. You might even see two doctors make a joke at the end of a tough day that people outside would think irreverent. However, humor is one of the main defense mechanisms we use. Similarly, players who lose night after night might be seen laughing and playing cards to cope with the stress.

To turn around a losing team, you need something to happen that makes them believe they can win. I think this team started to believe a little this year because of JJ's leadership. If they get off to a decent start next year, you will see them get angry when they lose. Some of these guys are real competitors, and it will be more clear when they become a playoff contender.

I think there's a time and place to be upset about losing--like in the locker room after the game and maybe when you're trying to sleep.

But I don't think the players should stay in a constant state of depression--they have to live their lives. If you play for the Hawks and you wait for a win to be happy, that gives you 26 days out of the year to be happy. I think if I were a player I'd probably want to laugh and play cards too.

Well put about using humor. Plus, we only have one quote from Batista about the issue.

The situation in South America (I lived in Ecuador for a year straight and spent more months down there on and off) is that loosing is a huge problem. There were cases in Brazil and Columbia where players and coaches were killed after a loss of a big soccer game. In Ecuador, the losses aren't taken so hard, as Ecuador has a history of loosing. I am not sure of Uraguay's history in the copa de america or the world cup. The other issue is that South Americans tend to show there emotions a lot more than Americans. Americans in many ways hold onto the British stiff upper lip of never showing your emotional state, that is definately not the case in South America, where emotions are shown no matter what happend.

Quote:

I think the number of losses takes a toll on the psyche. If you lost 69 games in an 82 season, and you beat yourself up about each one, you'd go crazy. You would get numb to it after a while.

It's like in medicine when one of your patients dies. The first time, it is a blow to the gut. Then, it stings less the more times you have to deal with it. In some specialties (e.g. Dermatology
smile.gif
) it doesn't happen very much. In critical care, 1 in 4 patients who goes into the ICU dies. If the doctors got bent out of shape every time they lost one, they'd never get any work done.

They have to use defense mechanisms to cope. You might even see two doctors make a joke at the end of a tough day that people outside would think irreverent. However, humor is one of the main defense mechanisms we use. Similarly, players who lose night after night might be seen laughing and playing cards to cope with the stress.

To turn around a losing team, you need something to happen that makes them believe they can win. I think this team started to believe a little this year because of JJ's leadership. If they get off to a decent start next year, you will see them get angry when they lose. Some of these guys are real competitors, and it will be more clear when they become a playoff contender.

is that really a picture of Diesel? nice sweater

Quote:

...it's why people like me are being turned off by the NBA. it's a lifestyle...

The main problem (IMHO) is guarranteed contracts and it's un-fixable. No way the players union would give that up.

But the NFL has the best system. You better at least do a decent job of pretending to care or your azz will be out the door the next year.

Sure, if you're really good you can get a good signing bonus, but that's about it. In the NBA it's a whole different story. A coach with a Parcels-like approach could never survive in today's NBA.

Baseball has guarranteed contracts also and I've heard similar "don't care" stories there.

Quote:

Quote:

It's like in medicine when one of your patients dies. The first time, it is a blow to the gut. Then, it stings less the more times you have to deal with it. In some specialties (e.g. Dermatology
smile.gif
) it doesn't happen very much. In critical care, 1 in 4 patients who goes into the ICU dies. If the doctors got bent out of shape every time they lost one, they'd never get any work done.

I was wondering the same thing. Looks kinda' like Jack Black. lol

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

smile.gif

I was wondering the same thing. Looks kinda' like Jack Black. lol

if that's a picture of Diesel then it is all beginning to make sense....... shocked.gif