• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Be prepared to hear: Atlanta selects Rudy Gay...

Diesel

• Premium Member

Words from BK...

"It's funny because everybody feels and assumes that we wouldn't draft another forward," Knight said at his end-of-the-season media session. "I laugh at that. I laugh at that. You always take the best player. Everybody should remember that. Because you can get booed on draft day and loved on the parade.

"I don't like to draft for need, I like to draft the best player. The best player that you see. You always draft the best basketball player you can find regardless of a position. You throw him out there and then it becomes the coach's problem. But you always have good players because you never know what could happen after that, injuries or trades or whatever, and then all those things that were issues [too many players at the same position], all those worries turn out to be for naught."

However, the Hawks don't have an impressive draft history. The last time they drafted a future All-Star was 22 years ago, when they made Kevin Willis the 11th pick of the 1984 draft.

• Premium Member

Five times in the past six drafts the Hawks have used first-round picks on small forwards, usually the most versatile players entering the league because of their length, athleticism and ability to play multiple positions.

• Moderators

If BK isn't posturing for a trade and really means that coming into this draft (I suspect he believes the Hawks are likely to be in a position where Morrison or Gay carry the most value on the board when the Hawks pick) then I think he should be gone. I guess the proof will be in the pudding.

• Premium Member

That BK will select either Morrison or Gay if that's what's available when we draft.

He says...

He hates drafting for need.

He always drafts BPA...

yeah... That's it.. Gay or Morrison will be Hawks.

agreed, but there's no way he'd do that. If he did I'd be all for firing him immediately. There is no way we won't be drafting a big or a PG. Just no way.

BK saying he'd draft another SF is either posturing to improve his bargaining power with other teams, or his way of telling every one that they can talk all they want but he's the big boy in town and he'll do as he pleases. Either way I don't believe him that he'd draft another SF

The man never gives public interviews discussing his strategy prior to drafts, and the year where our best interest might be to trade a SF, he comes out of nowhere and says he has no problem taking a SF and keeping him.

There is no way to prove whether he's serious or strengthening his bargaining power.

Also Ivey is a PG, Salim is a PG/SG, Donta is a SG/SF, Chill is a SF, Josh and Marvin are SF/PF, and David Anderson is a PF/C.

Hardly all SG/SF's.

Quote:

The man never gives public interviews discussing his strategy prior to drafts, and the year where our best interest might be to trade a SF, he comes out of nowhere and says he has no problem taking a SF and keeping him.

There is no way to prove whether he's serious or strengthening his bargaining power.

Also Ivey is a PG,
Salim is a PG/SG
, Donta is a SG/SF, Chill is a SF, Josh and Marvin are SF/PF, and David Anderson is a PF/C.

Hardly all SG/SF's.

Salim isn't an NBA PG anymore than I am.

Quote:

I am pretty sure it wasn't BK that drafted David Andersen, Babcock was definitely the GM at the time but I don't remember if BK was on the staff by then or not.

Yeah you're right, that was 02 when we got Dickau / Anderson. BK had been hired a month prior and was director of basketball operations. I'm not sure which one of them really made these picks

• Premium Member

Marvin Williams = Sf.

Salim = OG.

Chillz = Sf/SG

Smoove = Sf

Donta = Sf

Ivey = OG

Diaw = Sf

Hansen = SG

This is BK's resume with us. SG(OG)/Sfs...

Pure PGs don't see to be a major concern for BK so I wouldn't get your hopes up about MWilliams.

I think you can expect to hear Morrison or Gay..

• Moderators

Quote:

Funny thing is at #4 Gay nor Morrison would be the BPA - LOL!!!

That is why it would make sense to let people know you will take them if you want to trade the pick. If you told people you wouldn't draft another SF then they wouldn't trade with you or would lower their offer. If people believe BK is willing to take yet another SF, and he should have credibility in that department, and they want Gay or Morrison they will give more to make the trade happen.

Quote:

Quote:

Salim isn't an NBA PG anymore than I am.

That's where he's going to play a lot of his NBA minutes because he can't guard SG's. I think we all know that he's a SG in a PG's body, much like JT. That's why I listed him as PG/SG.

Successful so called 2guards in pg body

Sam Cassell

Chauncey Billups

Allen Iverson

Tony Parker

Steve Francis

Damon Stoudamire

Mike James

Gilbert Arenas

Stephon Marbury

Dwayne Wade

In other words about half of the NBA's starting PG's. And if Salim can turn out remembling anyone on that list, then we drafted damn good.

Quote:

Sam Cassell

Chauncey Billups

Allen Iverson

Tony Parker

Steve Francis

Damon Stoudamire

Mike James

Gilbert Arenas

Stephon Marbury

Dwayne Wade

And each and every one of these guys could dribble way, way, way better than Salim when they got to the league. I think Salim is destined to be a scorer off the bench.

Quote:

Successful so called 2guards in pg body

Sam Cassell

Chauncey Billups

Allen Iverson

Tony Parker

Steve Francis

Damon Stoudamire

Mike James

Gilbert Arenas

Stephon Marbury

Dwayne Wade

In other words about half of the NBA's starting PG's. And if Salim can turn out remembling anyone on that list, then we drafted damn good.

How many of those guys had a season in which they had more turnovers than assists?

I think you underrate Salim's ball handling skills. He was shaky in the early season, but he isn't exactly Josh Smith with the ball. He usually brings it up without losing it. He does make bad passes, which can be corrected. And he usually blows by his man. He has at least enough ball skills as JJ has.