Theo Asks for more minutes - ajc article

chillzatl

• Admin

PRO BASKETBALL: 'It's time to let me go out and play'

Big steps: Hawks' Ratliff asking for increased minutes.

Jeffrey Denberg - Staff

Tuesday, November 12, 2002

Los Angeles --- For six games Theo Ratliff worked skimpy minutes. He was in constant foul trouble and his coach and general manager also wanted to protect him from a too rigorous playing regimen after a year and a half away from the game.

Ratliff, living with a reputation that says he is fragile and needs coddling, was frustrated and eager to test his wings for the first time as the Atlanta Hawks center. Before the team played Sacramento on Sunday he went to his bosses and begged to be unfettered. They agreed.

The results were pleasing. Ratliff had 12 points, 13 rebounds and four blocks. He worked 38 minutes, double the combined minutes of his two previous games.

"I told coach it's time to let me go out and play," Ratliff said. "When I get winded and need to come out, I'll tell him, but I've got to be able to go out there and get tired if I'm going to build my stamina and really help the team."

Ratliff has been away so long he said, it's an effort "for me to get into the flow of the game where I can really help the team, so I've got to play to do that."

But for an exhibition and three regular season games last season, Ratliff had not played since he broke a bone in his wrist Feb. 14, 2000, on the eve what was to have been his first All-Star starting assignment.

Surgery for a broken hip socket, then a winter and spring of rehab followed. Now, Ratliff wants to find out where his game is. The Hawks would like to know as well, with backup Nazr Mohammed out with a stress fracture.

Sunday represented some of Ratliff's best minutes since his return. And it was the aggressive, reasonably well controlled game that will help the Hawks turn around three seasons of utter misery.

So, the slender 6-foot-10 Ratliff hopes he is finally on course, with his return as a primary player and with a firm understanding of how he has to play.

"Just let me go," is the message he gave his coach. "I'll let him know when I need a break. I was able to get in the flow of the game, be active and help my teammates. They've been trying to monitor my time.

"I feel better when I'm on the floor because I get a chance to get loose. But every time I get loose and I have to sit down I stiffen up and when I come back I have to get loose again."

He said of his extended minutes, "I felt pretty good and I felt a little winded but that's good for me right now. I'm still in the healing process."

Still, the news that Shaquille O'Neal is unlikely to play tonight when the Hawks visit the Los Angeles Lakers did not displease Ratliff in the least. "If he doesn't play, that's a very good thing. I wasn't looking forward to trying to push him with my bad hips."

• Premium Member

Actually, the best thing is to let him foul out a few times. Being on the court helps him get his timing and his basketball sensitivity" back. Soon enough, he'll know when he's about to get a touch foul.

The other thing playing him will do is raise his trade value. SO if there's a deal out there to be made, we can make it. For instance, I would like to see if Theo + CC + EMail could get us Dale Davis/Bonzi Wells/Quintyl Woods.