• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Realgm new mock draft

DrReality

Interesting commentary re Marcus W. as Hawks pick. Its generally favorable for the Hawks. Comments about BK reflect how he is perceived? If his plan comes to fruition, draft pick, Andersen and FA, we could be in tall cotton.

Atlanta is in a great situation because of the amount of cap space they have. They will most likely go after a big man this off-season, either Nene or Chris Wilcox. They will bring over David Andersen, a center who plays for CSKA Moscow in Russia, to help fill the void in the frontcourt. So with all of this in mind, the Atlanta Hawks pass up two legit swingmen. Knight finally decides to draft a position screaming in need of attention like a four year old with a lisp and $3 haircut who doesn’t get his Fruit Loops in the local grocery store.

They draft: Marcus Williams, PG, UCONN, Jr

Why?: If they pass on Williams, then the most likely point guards still by the time they pick again will be Kyle Lowry, Darius Washington and Dee Brown. No disrespect to those three, but they cannot come in, play and succeed with a group that the Hawks have on the court. Williams would have the personnel like he had at UCONN, only a better SG and more room to create. He knows what to do in any offense and has the ability to lead the Hawks back into the playoffs for the first time in a long time.

Why not Rondo? I really like Rondo and he has the potential to become a great all-around point guard, but his jump shot scares teams. He wouldn't have to shoot as much with the jump shooting Hawks, but even without a jumper, he's still a couple of years away from being a complete point on both ends of the floor. Right now, he would have the same value that Royal Ivey has for the Hawks and he can be better than that. But it's going to take time and the Hawks are running out of time. They need a winner and Williams makes the most amount of sense. If the Hawks trade down, then Rondo may be an option, but all signs point to Williams for Zaza Pachulia (he’s gotta get some love at some point in time) and co.

If Aldridge or Bargnani are not there where the Hawks pick than i would take Williams.

It really depends on lottery and where we end up picking.

If we stay at 4 or move down than we should take Williams.

If we get 1st or 2nd pick than we draft the best big man like Aldridge and Bargnani.

simple as that

• Premium Member

BK has never spent a 1st round pick on a non-frontcourt player with "versatility"...

I think BK has been steadily trying to get you guys braced for what's about to happen. We still have a few more days until the draft lottery but if we get 5th or Lower, expect a swingman.

If it happens that way, watch him draft Morrison and call him a SG. And I don't blame him one bit.

• Premium Member

We hold his rights as a second round pick.

I think we gave Salim the most a second rounder could make and that's .675 Million.

so in essence, Andersen would leave 3 million for less than 1 million to come here.

Yall can talk about proving himelf in the NBA, however, as long as the NBA keep losing in international bsaketball, I don't see the NBA as being the proving ground it once was.

Salim's salary has no bearing on Anderson's. Anderson is a somewhat proven 7 footer, and if he comes over I would expect his salary to be somehere in the 2 to 4 million range. We gave a less proven Zaza 4 mil per year, that's a much better reference than Salim.

I don't think there is a strict max on salaries in the second round players like there is for 1st rounders.

• Moderators

Quote:

Thanks. Then we could negotiate a contract to compete with his current one? Cool.

For clarification, there is not a section of the FAQ squarely addressing 2nd rounders. The FAQ has a section on how first rounders are treated differently than everyone else and lists $9M as the cap salary for someone with 0 years XP in the NBA. I am inferring that this $9M cap for players without any NBA experience would apply to second rounders and FAs.

• Premium Member

Rule #89 states...

Quote:

A second round draft pick can accept a required tender, which is a one-year contract offer teams must submit to retain their rights to the player.

Rule 97 gives certain dates, of which is this:

Quote:

September 6

Second round draft picks become free agents if not given a required tender

My question is did we ever sign Andersen to a required tender? And was it by Sept 6 of his draft year? If not, then he's a free agent according to the rules...

• Premium Member

I don't remember Andersen ever recieving any kind of contract from us.

Didn't the Knicks lose Fredrick Weiss the same way?

I think Andersen is a pipe dream we like to believe but by the rules is he ours?

• Moderators

Quote:

Rule #89 states...

Quote:

A second round draft pick can accept a required tender, which is a one-year contract offer teams must submit to retain their rights to the player.

Rule 97 gives certain dates, of which is this:

Quote:

September 6

Second round draft picks become free agents if not given a required tender

My question is did we ever sign Andersen to a required tender? And was it by Sept 6 of his draft year? If not, then he's a free agent according to the rules...

We still own the rights to Anderson and will as long as he keeps playing outside of the NBA.

See note 42:

Quote:

If the player is already under contract to, or signs a contract with a non-NBA team, the team retains the player's draft rights for one year after the player's obligation to the non-NBA team ends. Essentially, the clock stops as long as the player plays pro ball outside the NBA. Players are not included in the team's team salary while the player is under contract with a non-NBA team