• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Brandon Roy?

y2kenta

What's this obsession with Roy? We don't need another young guard that is not a pure PG. Think about how our team struggled mightingly last season with the lack of pure PG play alongside JJ in the clutch.

There was little to no penetration, playmaking, and fluid offensive play because there was no guy that could break down Ds, beat the presses, limit turnovers, get us in fastbreak situations, and set up other guys. Marcus Williams can do those things in his sleep.

Marcus Williams was looked at as troubled before, but has never been looked at as a lack of talent/ ability. He is a great fit here because he can run an offense in different styles and makes very few mistakes. He is the only pure PG that may be picked in the lottery choices.

Roy is not a pure PG, so why draft him when we just got Salim last year. Salim is not a pure PG, but he improved over the course of the year prior to the injury and his speed, quickness, and ability to score will only get better once the game continues to slow down for him. All of the SG mins are divided primarily by JJ, our starting SG, Chillz, our SG off the bench, and Salim is our tweener. Roy would not be able to start along with JJ any better than Chillz and produce enough wins to get us in the playoffs, would he?

IMO, drafting Roy over Marcus will result in a Marvin-over-Paul ripple to continue, thus missing out on another opportunity to fill a need.

If we want that, then I guess Marcus Williams isn't the answer either. Scouts question his lateral quickness and intensity on defense. And he won't have 3 trees to defend the paint like he did at UConn.

I'd say Roy or Brewer, or possible a trade down for Rondo.

Ex, I guarantee I have watched him play as much if not more that you..I watched him play the OFFGUARD on offense and most of the time on defense..I heard people like you telling me last summer how JJ could play the point and handle smaller quicker guards on defense..You guys were wrong then and your wrong now..JJ can't handle the smaller, quciker guards that flourish under the new rules and neither will Roy..Roy is a fine player, but he is an NBA 2.

Quote:

I heard people like you telling me last summer how JJ could play the point and handle smaller quicker guards on defense..You guys were wrong then and your wrong now..JJ can't handle the smaller, quciker guards that flourish under the new rules and neither will Roy..Roy is a fine player, but he is an NBA 2.

I wasn't here last summer and I never thought for one second that JJ could play the point on either end. In fact he did better at the point than I thought he would.

Roy didn't start at pg but spent a lot of time there, which is why he led the team in assists. He also guarded other pgs frequently.

Care to make an avatar bet on who tests quicker between Roy and Paul? Paul's times last year were 11.09 in the line agility test and 3.22 in a full court sprint.

Marvin had a better sprint than Paul, you think he can play point guard too?..I tell you what I will bet you on..If we draft Roy lets see who has the better game when we play the Hornets, Roy or Paul..Those tests are meaningless when it comes to real game situations..Being fast is different than being quick and having point guard instincts..

Take me up on the bet and see who is a wimp Ex..We all know Paul didn't have great times in the sprint last year..Like I said, PG quickness is different than a footrace and knowing how to play the position..Put your avatar where your bigmouth is..Who has the better game..Roy vs paul..Its real simple..

• Moderators

Quote:

Take me up on the bet and see who is a wimp Ex..We all know Paul didn't have great times in the sprint last year..Like I said, PG quickness is different than a footrace and knowing how to play the position..Put your avatar where your bigmouth is..Who has the better game..Roy vs paul..Its real simple..

What is with the comparison between Roy and Paul? You are asking him to bet that:

(A) the possible 5th pick in a weaker draft is going to be drafted by the Hawks were he will have a secondary roll on offense probably behind JJ, J Smith and Marvin Williams but still

(B) be better than a PG who won Rookie of the Year in one of the best rookie seasons in NBA history and who is the #1 option and ballhandler on offense to show whether Roy can guard PGs?

That doesn't make much sense to me. That would be like asking someone to bet that Chris Bosh would matchup head-to-head better than Amare Stoudemire when they played during Bosh's rookie year. Just because Amare dominates Bosh like he does NBA veterans, how does that comparison let you know whether Bosh is a good pick?

In their first game, Bosh was outscored 6 to 23 by Amare. What does that show?

Read the entire thread and you will see where it came from..The point is there is no comparison between them because Roy is a 2 and Paul is a 1..We don't need another combo guard that cannot handle the smaller quicker 1's.

• Moderators

Quote:

Read the entire thread and you will see where it came from..The point is there is no comparison between them because Roy is a 2 and Paul is a 1..We don't need another combo guard that cannot handle the smaller quicker 1's.

I understand your point about him not being able to handle the smaller, quicker 1's. However, I don't understand how a head to head matcup is supposed to prove whether he can do that or not.

I agree with you that his ability to handle quicker 1's should determine whether we consider drafting him or not. If he can, he should be able to work with JJ in the backcourt. If not, I think we need someone quicker in this era of no-handchecking.