• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why do we have to get a big in the 1stround?

Blunt91

The Hawk's staff have been saying they want a bigman but he doesn't necessarily have to come in the 1stround. Other than Aldrige I don't see any bigman that stands out in the 1stround. Guys like Shelden Williams & Patrick O'Bryant aren't much better than someone like a Eric Williams or JP Batista(2ndround possibilites.) I would just go ahead and Draft Foye or Roy in the 1st and pickup someone like Eric Williams in the 2ndround. He might not be a shotblocker like Shelden but he can rebound and to me has a better post game than Shelden.

• Premium Member

Quote:

. Guys like Shelden Williams & Patrick O'Bryant aren't much better than someone like a Eric Williams or JP Batista(2ndround possibilites.

I disagree with this notion. I think if you would have said Craig Smith, Simmons, or Alexander or that Paul fellow.. I might be on board. However, you have to realize that Williams specifically proved himself on the biggest stage as a starting C in the ACC. I think he projects to defensive shot blocking PF... I don't think Williams or Batista does. I actually think Batista could be interesting offensively, but his defense is not going to be grand.

Quote:

Yes to O'Bryant.

No to Williams.

I actually wouldn't mind O'Bryant, if Billy doesn't draft Lowry.

I would not mind O'Bryant. I like O'Bryant even though he is the least NBA ready right now. Just think O'Bryants' game and size translate to center. Williams more of a PF and even at that position he may have some trouble developing into a big time NBA player.

Well, I think Shelden Williams is considerably better than Erik Williams and JP Batista. IMO, JP Batista is not a prospect at all. He's not going to measure taller than 6'8" tall, and while he is a wide body, he has absolutely no mobility at all. He's simply a guy who was a good college player against a lower level of competition.

Erik Williams is a very wide body with good muscle condition right now, but he is a guy who in the past has had serious problems with his conditioning. He's not very versatile, and he's not the type of defensive presence the Hawks will need inside. Williams's skill level is almost non-existant, as he is simply a player that is limited to being an interior guy offensively.

Shelden is a better athlete and is much more mobile and well rounded than either of the two mentioned. He's got a great body in which he has never had conditioning problems. The only issue I have with Shelden Williams is that he may have already maxed out his ability. He's a guy that could come in and average 8-10 rebounds per game and 2 blocks per game, but I don't think he will ever be an offensive force. I think he could legitimately be a poor man's Ben Wallace though.

Quote:

The Hawk's staff have been saying they want a bigman but he doesn't necessarily have to come in the 1stround. Other than Aldrige I don't see any bigman that stands out in the 1stround. Guys like Shelden Williams & Patrick O'Bryant aren't much better than someone like a Eric Williams or JP Batista(2ndround possibilites.) I would just go ahead and Draft Foye or Roy in the 1st and pickup someone like Eric Williams in the 2ndround. He might not be a shotblocker like Shelden but he can rebound and to me has a better post game than Shelden.

If you think JP Batista is as good as Tyrus THomas, Shelden Williams, or Tiago Splitter, then you haven't been following basketball too closely. This team needs a big man more than anything else. We didn't lose that many games because we couldn't score points, it was because we couldn't stop anyone else from scoring. Players like Shelden Williams and Tiago Splitter offer interior defense. That takes away from the points in the paint, the offensive rebounds, and the kickouts for 3 with all the help defense.

Sheldon Williams a poor mans Big Ben. I agree. A lot of people expect him to be better than Boozer. I don't see it. Boozer has a better offensive game and Williams will be better on D. That is scary in itself, since Boozers' offense has really suffered since he left the comfort of LeBron...

I wouldn't say that. Boozer got off to a slow start once he was finally healthy, but his numbers post all star break were 17.5 PPG and 9.4 RPG, while his numbers over his last ten games were 21.8 PPG and 9.8 RPG.

I don't really think there is much of a comparison between the two players though. Carlos Boozer is a big body, but he is a limited athlete. You wouldn't see Boozer in an up tempo style of player. Shelden Williams is a half court oriented player as well, but he does run the floor very well.

I've allways say that we need a big man, but i think that we have to get him in a trade.

We need an experienced big man, and if we can't get him, we should go for first pick.

We can't start the league with Zaza and Batman only, my first choice is Gadz, then we can play with Gadz as a 5 and Zaza as 4.

I think that if we play our cards wisely, we should sign Al and trade him to get Gadz for the next season and get a PG in second round.