FIFA WORLD CUP

rascurrein

In 13 days will start the soccer world cup where about 200 national teams started the road for it, and the USA team is one of the 32 national teams in the final round.

Soccer is the first sport world wide followed by basketball when the most of the nations of the globe are competing to achieve glory, and it seems that any of you cares about it.

It is really funny when i see the Baseball and they play the "WORLD SERIES" with teams only from USA, and then there are problems to play against other nations 'cause problems of visa.

Now USA are competing with the top players of the world in soccer and it seems that you are not interested.

For those who doesn't know, USA participated in the first world cup in 1930.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never really followed soccer/football/footcer so much, but lately I've been enjoying it. It probably comes from spending so much time in Latino-run eateries around town.

Prior to this year, I only really got into footcer (I think that's a nice compromise of the American name for it plus the international name for it) when the USA was playing in the World Cup. Jingoism FTW!

Quote:

Im not big on soccer either, but i watched all of KOREA's games. I had to support my country!

Hopefully we can have the same success as last year (or better!).

Is it South Korea?

Cause yesterday my country (Bosnia) played against the South Korea and we lost 2-0 frown.gif, but it was just a friendly game tho.

yeh, its South Korea. We came in 4th place last year and surprised everyone. I believe thats the best placement for any ASIAN team in the history of WORLD CUP (since usually the S. America and W. Europe teams are the powerhouses of the game).

Its going to be exciting. Its a great time for everyone to get together and support their country. However, i gotta admit- the GENERAL AMERICAN's interest in the world cup is pretty low compare to other countries. The US team could use some support!

USA has a tough group with Italy, Ghana and Czech Rep.

If you wanna take a look at the bets i will give you an adress

http://www.worldcup-2006-betting.co.uk/winningodds.htm

USA has a very good team spite the last friendly game where they were below their potential.

USA must win the first match against Czech Republic, and then face Italy waiting for a draw, then the players has to be intelligent enough to avoid a phisical game against Ghana to go through to the next round.

I think that there are big chances that USA can reach quarter finals.

I was born in Scotland, and I live in Australia.

Every world cup I usually choose another country to go for(because Scotland and Australia are rarely in it). Last world cup the first game I saw was South KOreas first game. At about halftime I decided to root for them the whole way. And they did great!

This year Australia actually did qualify. We are in with Croatia, Brazil and Japan. So not an easy group. I think we can assume that Brazil will beat us, but wins against the other teams are possible (if not likely). I will happy if we get one win!

Watch out for the Netherlands and I think maybe this is the year Spain stops being a disappointment. The USA has a shot to advance, but it will be tough. I wonder how the match fixing scandal in Italy will affect their team. Some of their players and the coach have been caught up in it.

Quote:

I know absolutely nothing about soccer, but I watched a few of the World Cup Games back in 2002 while sitting in the surgery department on call.

If you know nothing about soccer you should watch the games of Brazil and pay atention to Ronaldinho and then you'll be aware that against Ronaldinho nobody knows nothing about soccer.

Congrats, that was an awesome game. Japan started just focusing on defense way too early in the game.

I work from home so so far I've seen every game but Angola-Portugal.

Can't wait for the US to finally play, and France tommorrow.

Should be a really tough game for the US.