• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

REALGM ARTICLE

DrReality

Hawks Fly Down To The Fifth Pick

Patrick J. Austin - 27th May, 2006 0:13 AM

Once again, the NBA Lotto Gods didn’t look down favorably upon the Atlanta Hawks , a team that finished with the fourth worst record in the league winds up with the fifth pick in the upcoming draft. Some people might think this is major blow to the Hawks rebuilding efforts, but I think it could be a blessing in disguise.

Danny Ainge said it best, “This isn’t a weak draft it’s just weak up top.” I agree with his assertion. This isn’t a draft that features a sure-fire franchise talent. There’s no LeBron or Yao in this class. The names bandied about for the top selection include LaMarcus Aldridge, Tyrus Thomas, and Adam Morrison. Most, or all, will be good players at the next level but none of them exude that star quality teams are looking for. No GM looks at LaMarcus Aldridge and thinks, “I want to build my franchise around that guy.” To be honest, a part of me is relieved we didn’t get the top selection. The chance of selecting another Michael Olowokandi or Kwame Brown is much higher in a draft like this.

So here’s the big question—who should the Hawks take with the fifth pick??? To be honest, no one knows. Our whacky GM, Billy Knight, is still under the impression that a team comprised entirely of 6’8 wingmen can succeed in the NBA. Recently, he even went on record saying that he doesn’t believe the team is in need of a traditional point guard.

I know this contradicts BK, but I believe we’re at the perfect spot to select UConn point guard, Marcus Williams. Numerous scouts have labeled him the best pure point guard in this draft. His court vision and passing skills are reminiscent of Jason Kidd. Furthermore, he proved in the NCAA tournament that he’s not afraid to take the big shot at the end of the game. He’s everything the team needs—a talented floor general who can distribute the rock to all of our young stallions. It makes so much sense. Of course, that’s probably why Marcus won’t be selected by the Hawks.

As stated earlier, Billy Knight is an out-of-the-box GM. He doesn’t believe in building a traditional team with players that fit the standard position mold. If faced with the choice of taking a player our team obviously needs in Marcus Williams or taking a hybrid guard like Brandon Roy or Randy Foye, it wouldn’t surprise me if Knight goes with latter.

We’ll get into who the Hawks might select in future articles leading up to the draft. Right now, it’s really all speculation considering major workouts haven’t taken place and anything can happen before the draft. Who knows, a trade might occur; anything is possible. But be rest assured, this is an important draft for the Hawks. This off-season is vital for the growth of the team. All of this rebuilding needs to start paying off sooner rather than later in order to sustain any sort of fan interest and support. We need to make the right moves this summer, and the draft will be the first in that endeavor.

I wonder if he will cover the Hawks workouts?

more Hawks Articles

Great "expert" anaylysis especially seeing that our front office has basically hinted at the fact that Marcus Williams in particular isn't on our draft board.

Oh and as far as the rest of the draft being stronger than the top, it's the complete opposite. The top 3 big men in this draft class are heads and shoulders above as far as potential goes.