• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

quotes from the Seattle game

Diesel

• Premium Member

In reply to:

"The key is to try to push up on him and make him put the ball on the floor, but in my opinion he's probably the best mid-range player in the game right now," Barry said. "He's a throwback type of player and can get it going with one or two defenders on him."

Robinson thought the biggest difference was Terry, who handed out a game-high 10 assists.

"We had to move the ball," Robinson said. "If we have to play one-on-one with this team, we'll never win."

There are 2 things that are immediately evident from these quotes..

#1. The whole league knows how to play GRob. They say, make him put it on the floor. They know that they can get a turnover or something from that situation. However, if that's his weakness, then we ought to figure out a scheme that he can get the ball catch and shoot.

#2. Seems to me like Lon has coached this team to do a lot of one on one play. Not just from the quote but also from the games. Lon is still a below average pro coach. If we want to go somewhere we need to get better coaching.

Lon also said that this team won't survive with all the turnovers, however, I don't think Lon is doing much (but wishing for a better backup) to help. He needs to work on plays... Give these players guidelines. Define roles. He's below average.

• Admin

Of course people know how to defend big dog. This is nothing new. T-mac did it to him a few years ago and we've all seen it. You put the ball in his hands and force him to create, he's not as dangerous. he should only have the ball in his hands if it's a matchup that demands it. Otherwise, find him in motion or he's a liability.

As for your other comment/assumption, it's doubtful. As much as you dislike Lon, he's not dumb. Everyone knows that 1v1 play isn't going to get you wins. That's not coaching, that's lack of coaching. The fact is, we have noone other than JT than can run an offense. When JT isnt out there to make plays, we get a bunch of one on one situations. Simply because we don't have another player who can create.

So, people know how to defend Glenn Robinson, and yet he gets 37 points....Hmmm..Why is that?

Likely because the Hawks ran more than a couple of plays that put Robinson in position to do what he does best, score the basketball.

When they ran Reef to the post, and Reef passed out, it resulted in points and a lot of open looks for Glenn.

Also, Robinson's comments were not an indictment of Kruger at all...In fact, my question to him was...

Me: "You had said after the Boston game that this team needed to get back to what you guys were doing earlier this season, how much of that did you guys do tonight."

Glenn: "Seattle is a team that forces you to move the ball, so we did better with that. If we had to play 1 on 1 with this team, we'll never win."

He was talking about the Sonics....We can't play THE SONICS 1on1, because we'll never win.

Just my penny on the matter....

• Premium Member

All well and good.

My point on him and people knowing how to play him is just that. We know that his weakness is putting the ball on the floor. However, why not try to run plays where he gets the ball in a position to shoot. For instance. Why not run him off Picks like Reggie. Why not allow him to be first option for SAR in the post, because the best dynamic our team has is SAR drawing people into the post and Big Dog knocking down the shot or swinging it to JT... Somebody got to get the easy open look. However, too often, I have seen SAR near the perimeter. Big Dog or Ham trying to put the ball on the floor. TURNOVER.

My second point. Even though Big Dog was talking exclusively about Seattle. The way he said it suggests that we do play a lot of one on one. Becuase if we moved the ball around on everyone we played, he wouldn't have need to make that distinction.

I think you just said in effect "My bad...I was wrong" when you said "All well and good" only to go on and insist you were right!?!

I'm confused.

Regardless, your basketball IQ is even worse than your trade IQ. Every single trade you think about what we should do and the result is hometowning trade after hometowning trade. Same with your basketball analysis. Of course you want to move the ball around and "get the open look". Unfortunately teams don't always let you freely do so. In fact, just as teams like the Sonics may key to stop one on one play, teams can and do key in to shut down passing lanes. This is even more true now that the rules for defense have been expanded.

That being said, every team can move the ball better and we are no different in that regard than any other team, SAVE we are a team with 2 new starters and 1 good ball handler making that goal a little harder overall yet likely to improve in the future as we get to know each other's games better.

W

• Premium Member

Once again Walter, Jealousy seems to be your motivation.

However, with the halfhearted response you gave, let me bring you to the light.

In reply to:

Of course you want to move the ball around and "get the open look". Unfortunately teams don't always let you freely do so. In fact, just as teams like the Sonics may key to stop one on one play, teams can and do key in to shut down passing lanes.

Well, Walter, had you watched a Hawk game, you would know that the Hawks stand around looking lost when there is no pressure or no one filling the passing lane. Here's typical play.

JT brings it up. Dog sets a pick at the top of the key. Terry goes through the pick... Look around, look around, look around.

There's no motion. Just guys standing around waiting to get the ball so they can try their one on one move against the defense. Worse is that a lot of times, Reef is out of the post. Ham or Dog gets the ball at the top of the key and they try to drive. Turnover. Nobody really moves without the ball.

That's a coaching PROBLEM. So my friend... It's not that other teams dictate our offense (if that were the case, that would be just as sad) but it's that we have a sandlot type offense. Everybody is doing their own thing.