• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

RealGM mock version 5

DrReality

They have Aldridge dropping to us.

By J.T. Magee

1. Andrea Bargnani

Power Forward. Italy (Benetton Treviso)

If Toronto feels it cannot get fair value from one of the teams in range of drafting Bargnani, then they stand pat and take the kid. While Aldridge may make more sense, teams are starting to play the best players at one time rather then go with a traditional lineup. Which is why I can truly see Bargnani getting a little run at center in 4 years. Why not have the two best palyers on the court at the same time? Great centers are a dime a dozen and hustlers, like Joey Graham, can be had at any position. But offensively-gifted kids, like Bargnani, are few and far between. He has the tools, like all-around shot blocking, to be an effective defender, at least in the post. He will have to work on his boxing out techniques in order to become a legit center. Right now, he’s a few years away from being that type of player. Unfortunately, this all means Charlie Villanueva will be dealt in the near future. For Josh Smith of the Hawks, possibly?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Tyrus Thomas

Power Forward. LSU

Thomas can become a hybrid forward and excel at either position because of his athleticism and timing. Sure, he’s rawer than a decomposed hunk of meat left in the desert, on offense, but he has the tools to be a dominant player in the NBA. Should he have stayed in college and let his game progress? Yes. But when there are hounds of people saying you are a lock for being a #1 pick, why not go for it? He has a lot to work on, but the Bulls can let him develop a little bit off the bench while they go after a temporary replacement at the 4 spot. I cannot see the Bulls taking Thomas, and if they do, a trade is involved. But if no trade is involved, then Chicago gets a kid who can become a dominant player on defense as well as a very effective player on offense. It’s just ahrd to see this pick because he says he’s a 3 and the Bulls have two stellar small forwards. They have the defense and rebounding machine in Andres “Shaggy/The Nightwolf” Nocioni and the all-around scorer in Luol Deng. But players can be dealt in this league and Thomas is the type of potential-laden player the Bulls can draft and let him grow enough without having to force the issue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Adam Morrison

Guard/Forward. Gonzaga

Three players (Aldridge, Thomas and Brandon Roy) cancelled workouts with the Bobcats. Bickerstaff hates this, but if they feel Charlotte is not a good fit for them, then why work out for them? With that said, the Bobcats are on the right path and adding a kid like Morrison, over Rudy Gay, makes too much sense. Gay may have more potential, but Gerald Wallace has become a stud at small forward. Morrison would be the 2 guard on offense and guard the lesser of the two perimeter players on the opposing team. He is the late-scorer they lacked in their close games. Gay is certainly a possibility, but I can’t see Charlotte passing up Morrison, who can get them 13-16 points right away, six of which can come in the 4th quarter. Jordan loves competitors and Morrison is that. Not taking anything away from Gay, but between the two, with two seconds left to tie or win the game, Morrison is the guy who should have the ball in the hands.

4. Rudy Gay

Small Forward. Connecticut

I really feel they want Gay more than Morrison. Morrison may sell more tickets now, but Gay can be the better overall player in a few years on a perennial All-Star level. The Blazers need offense, but with Morrison off the board, Gay is the answer. Everyone thinks they want Roy and it’s understandable. It’s possible, but Martell Webster has too much going for him to give up on him after just one year. That Boston game was phenomenal. He was able to score at will all over the court and he will be a stud. Maybe not an All-Star, but he’ll a starter for a long time. Back to Gay. Gay brings a lot to the table and they need someone to help fill the void left by Darius Miles when he’s dealt. Viktor Kryhapa, as smart as he is, is not a full-time small forward and Travis Outlaw will probably follow Miles out the door. Gay has the tools to be a dominant defender and scorer at the hardest position to fill in the NBA.

5. LaMarcus Aldridge

Power Forward. Texas

Is there a promise to Shelden Williams here? No, not if Aldridge is on board. Although Aldridge may have professed a love for the perimeter instead of the post, he will eventually fill out and be a starting center in the NBA. He has the all-around tools offensively to be a complete scorer in the post and on the wing. He has the tools on defense to be a very effective rebounder and shot blocker. But he must prove that he wants it. Having the talent can only get a player so far. Each potential #1 pick has a lot of questions to answer. For Aldridge? Consistency against great opposition. He put up the numbers and looked dominant at times, but ineffective against big and athletic players. He will take some time, but he will find a lot of easy buckets with the Hawks because of his motor and the fact Atlanta’s personnel is made to run. Williams may be promised to the Hawks, but there’s no way they pass on Aldridge for Williams.

6. Randy Foye

Guard. Villanova

With all the rumors that Minny trades down to grab Foye, I just cannot see them passing him up unless they can get fair value for him. A lower pick and Luther Head doesn’t seem like enough to make the Timberwolves move down two spots, unless they add a future 1st round pick as well. Although they draft Rashad McCants last year, he will be out for at least a month during the regular season and won’t be the same player immediately. He underwent the same micro fracture knee surgery many star players underwent and many of them were not their former selves. So the Foye selection could be insurance in case McCants isn’t ever the palyer he was coming out of UNC. What I like about Foye, and he mentioned this on RealGM Radio, is that he can play bigger than he is. This will help him at shooting guard but if he can develop the necessary point guard skills, he can become a potential Chauncey Billups. He will have to work hard at it, though. Billups was in Minnesota at one point and maybe the front office sees the same potential in him. By adding Foye, they are able to acquire an all-around scorer and strong defender despite being around 6’3”, 6’4”.

7. Marcus Williams

Point Guard. Connecticut

I was thinking about Rajon Rondo here and it’s very logical. He’s made for Boston’s system because he can get up and down the court. He can drive & dish. His intangibles make him a solid defender and an all-around potential All-Star. But after thinking about it, I just can’t see how they pass up Williams for Rondo. I feel Rondo can become the more complete player and better player, but he will never be the complete and true point guard Williams is.

8. Brandon Roy

Shooting Guard. Washington

There are rumors Houston wants to trade up and brought in Roy for a workout in the past couple of days. He fits the need of having a big guard who can play the point and would be a nice compliment alongside both Rafer Alston and Luther Head. I just can’t see the Timberwolves moving down two spots to grab Foye if the deal is just the #8 and Head. If Houston threw in next year’s first round pick instead of Head, then it’s plausible. But both teams can get the palyers they covet without having to trade. I made this comparison earlier in the season and I will make it again. Roy is like Mario in Super Mario Kart: not great at one thing, but very good at everything and someone a team can win with. I like Roy and feel he can be the Rookie of the Year depending on where he goes. Since tis is the start of the Yao Dynasty, I can see Roy taking it with a nice stat line across the board but just providing the Rockets with an element they haven’t had in a while at the 2. Their real need is a 3 so Tracy McGrady can shift back to the 2, but Roy can make it work out.

9. Patrick O'Bryant

Center. Bradley

The Warriors (come out and play-ieay) draft O’Bryant because he compliments both Ike Diogu and Andris Biedrins very well. I’ve said a lot of reasons why they would take O’Bryant so I will address why they would pass on someone like Shelden Williams and even a Cedric Simmons. With Williams, he is too much like Adonal Foyle but with more of an understanding for the game. He can block shots and rebound, but Diogu can too. They already have a banger in Biedrins and he may be another year away, but the kid has soft hands and can play. They pass on Simmons because he is not there yet. He may have the tools to be a 4/5, but he lacks the potential on offense O’Byant has. They opt for the 20-year-old out of Bradley.

10. Shelden Williams

Forward/Center. Duke

I believe Seattle will pawn off this pick and a team like New Orleans could complete a blockbuster involving Rashard Lewis. No one will confirm it but it makes a lot of sense. Desmond Mason will be in a contract year and Head Coach Byron Scott has said two of the three shooting guards will be gone. Instead of adding someone who can backup or start ahead of Kirk Snyder, they can shift Mason over to the 2, where he can play more efficiently. It could be something like: #10, Lewis and a small contract, like Noel Felix, for the #15 pick, PJ Brown and either Arvydas Macijauskas or Linton Johnson. But if the Sonics stand pat, Williams it is. They can deal Nick Collison if they have to in order to make room for Williams. It’s just hard to see the Sonics take him because their frontcourt is young but showed a lot of improvement under Jack Sikma. (Another coach at the Reebok Eurocamp and knows how to teach big men.) Williams does compliment Chris Wilcox very well, but I just can’t see them staying with Williams. Another option is Ronnie Brewer to compliment everyone, but with Mickael Gelabale coming over, it’s ahrd to see playing time for all of the guards and swingmen. Willaims it is because he can come and contribute immediately.

Note second round top three:

Second Round

31. PJ Tucker

Guard/Forward. Texas

32. Mardy Collins

Guard. Temple

33. Kyle Lowry

Point Guard. Villanova

• Premium Member

Unfortunately, this all means Charlie Villanueva will be dealt in the near future. For Josh Smith of the Hawks, possibly? I dont think we would ever trade Josh Smith for Villanueva. But Josh Childers for Villanueva could work for both teams.

• Moderators

Quote:

dime a dozen." Say what? In addition, I agree that I can't see us trading J Smoove for Villanueva but I could see us trading Chillz/Salim for him.

That quote is laughable. The guy isn't a bad poster but "great centers are a dime a dozen"?

i'm not buying the bargnani hype. even though craps hired that italian front office guy, i think they will pick gay and reunite him with c-vill. with bosh, c-vill and humphries they're stacked at PF. bargnani is not a center; nesterovic will probably get starters minutes at C.

not a bad young lineup; even without mike james they have calderon at PG.

i don't mind if we get marcus or lamarcus; lowry in 2nd rd would be nice.

smoove for c-vill? i don't think so!