Reaction to Shelden - In advance ;)

AHF

I will gladly wait for the day for Belkin to take the team over if Shelden is picked at no 5.

Chad Ford said this morning on Colin Cowherd the Hawks were the only team that had Shelden ranked within the top 6 picks of the draft. This franchise will continue to be a joke and a laughing stock of the league if Shelden is pick at 5.

If you want Sheldon you trade down and take him. PERIOD!

Quote:

...If you want Sheldon you trade down and take him. PERIOD!

Problem is - if the guy fits the team's needs (according to BK) and the team at #7 would like to have him, and the team at #6 isn't interested - then you can't trade down or you will miss him and end up without getting that immediate help in the paint. The Hawks can't just 'decide' to trade down and hope.

Quote:

I voted this is an ok pick because I believe the statement that follows, but I also think Shelden isn't worth a #5.

Agree. I'm fine with taking him, but am not exactly crazy about taking him at #5- only because in doing so we would seem to be cheating ourselves out of the full value of that pick. I liked the idea of the Houston trade, where we'd end up with Shelden and Head for #5, but it looks like that's not going to happen.

So whatever. I will trust their judgement. Maybe BK feels he couldn't afford to risk passing on Shelden at #5, and he may be right. I know the TWolves supposedly expressed a lot of interest in him at #7.

Well what's your backup plan? Take Shelden's twin brother? If none of the next 10 projected picks fill your immediate need - what's the use - you just fail, the team doesn't improve quickly, and the guy who gets your job next works on developing your pick.

sincty, i've said it before and i'll say it again...

If Belkin is as bad as advertised, then forget being sorry the next two years (how much time BK would have left with the hawks if they were still sorry). We'd be sorry for DECADES. So how would you want him to own the Hawks?

I'd take Shelden over Bargnani (12 pts a game in Euro league?), Thomas (smoove clone), Morrison (not a fit for us),

and Gay (desire issues).

To me, if Aldridge, Foye, or Roy is on the board, Shelden is too much of a reach.

So it totally depends on how the draft shakes out as to how happy I would be with Shelden.

• Moderators

Quote:

I'd take Shelden over Bargnani (12 pts a game in Euro league?), Thomas (smoove clone), Morrison (not a fit for us),

and Gay (desire issues).

To me, if Aldridge, Foye, or Roy is on the board, Shelden is too much of a reach.

So it totally depends on how the draft shakes out as to how happy I would be with Shelden.

I actually went to change the options to reflect a choice that would be dependent on who was on the board but I couldn't edit the options.

A lot the emotion running on Shelden, I think, comes from the fact of just having #5 . Somehow, psychologically, it seems like we should be getting a franchise player player based on some past drafts. The nature of this this draft (incomplete players at the top, but deep with upside) has a lot to say about what a reach is and isn't. The fact that so much doubt exists about the top six and beyond suggests that we temper our notion of a "reach." People who argue that Shelden should go lower have a pretty big burden to prove concerning how far down he ought to go, that some other team wouldn't take him (especially MN, BST, and HST) and THEN they have to explain the immediate benefit that Foye or somebody else has versus Shelden. The most immediate and necessary need is interior defense, so that tends to decrease support for drafting of PG, any combo guard, and any small forward. NOW, build a case for who we ought to draft at 5.

This all about whether Shelden is reach--he's not. This assumes that Aldridge is not available.