• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Diesel's early xmas present

beav

C. Jemal Horton

Thomas' coaching is reason Pacers are talk of the league

November 29, 2002

This game didn't end with a championship.

No matter how much the Pacers and their coach proved Thursday night and during the past month, it's still too early for that.

But this much should be obvious now, even with 68 games remaining: Isiah Thomas can coach.

And while he eventually needs to prove he can coach his way to a championship, Thomas shouldn't have to waste any more time convincing people he can coach.

Yes, there still is time for a collapse. But look at where Thomas has the Pacers after Thursday night's 110-98 victory over previously unbeaten Dallas.

The Pacers (12-2) have the second-best record in the league.

And though it's early, there are a lot of teams dying to be where the Pacers are. And although Dallas still has the best record, Indiana's hot start has made it the talk of the league.

There's only one reason for this: Thomas.

"He's really given us more leadership when we need it," center Brad Miller said.

"He's a lot more hands-on. Now, he's really breaking it down for us. He's showing us a lot of the little things you don't learn until your seventh, eighth year in the league. He's really shown everybody how to play. He teaches us the things that win games. You saw all that tonight."

Still, there are simpletons who say this run has been in spite of Thomas, not because of him.

Ridiculous.

"I haven't changed," Thomas said. "People assume I've changed. But I haven't changed one iota. I've always believed in what we were doing here."

He sounds defensive when he says this.

And he has every right to be defensive.

Since the day he took over Larry Bird's old office space on Pennsylvania Street, Thomas' ability to occupy it has been questioned with a passion.

The Pacers make the playoffs only as an eighth seed the past two seasons? It's Isiah's fault.

People forget the Pacers were rebuilding both of those seasons, and brought in new players as if they were an expansion team.

Austin Croshere's shot isn't going down? It's because Isiah isn't giving him enough minutes to get into a groove.

People forget Croshere plays behind Jermaine O'Neal, the Pacers' only All-Star last season.

It's always something. And it's usually always something silly.

"I would say I've learned (the characteristics of) my players," Thomas said. "By developing their skills and their talents, getting them to the point of completion. Now, you can do a lot of other things."

The Pacers' new offense, The Quick, is his creation alone. . . . Well, with little dashes of Bob Knight, John Wooden and Tex Winter thrown in.

A new offense being so effective so soon is a rarity in this league. It was gutsy to put in a new offense with a team with such potential this season. Then again, that's what made it such a stroke of brilliance.

And then there's the employment of the zone defense Thursday. It was a wrinkle that zone-playing Dallas didn't even expect, considering the Pacers hadn't used it for any prolonged stretches this season. Dallas made just 8-of-28 3-pointers.

"In practicing against their zone and what they would do in their zone, I noticed that we could play zone," Thomas said with a small smile. "We had been working at it the last few days. It was a good night."

No, the Pacers didn't win any rings because they ended the Mavericks' 14-game winning streak Thursday night.

But, just maybe, Thomas won a little bit of respect for the job he has done as a coach with this team.

A little bit of respect should not always require winning a championship

• Premium Member

I can't say much about the yr before but Last yr, the Pacers were injured some. And then they made the big trade. Those two things really hurt their chemistry. However, the big trade really improved their talent pool. I really didn't think about Artest... But Miller. Getting a real C in there so that Oneal can play PF was huge. The other thing was getting Reggie some backup with Mercer. Mercer could be a 20 ppg player if he played 33 mpg. However, to have somebody who can play so that Reggie won't have to take a beating every game was big. The icing on the cake was getting Artest. He's good.

The other thing that help them the most was the PG. You know, the one we drafted and traded? As Tinsley gets better and better, they will be a much better squad. Because with Harrington, Oneal, and Miller to past to, they have a lot of weapons and a whole lot of depth. Isiah just may make them vote him as COY.