Boxscore of the game is up

jeddelong

Come on lets not go crazy here. I remember that Dion Glover used to tear it up in the summer leagues and suck in real competition. Summer leages show off mostly guards. Last year Bogut didn't play too well in their forst few summer games. If we had drafted another guard where would you have played them? They would ride the pine all year long. JJ is a SG, Chill is a SG / SF, Marvin is a SF / PF, Smoove is a SF / PF that is our wing players. We needed a PF / C and we got one. We also addressed our PG situation with Speedy. Sheldon reminds me a lot of the Davis brothers not always great stats but very good players who always bring it and are a VERY valuable peices to the team.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great games by players don't necessarily mean that players are going to tear it up.

BUT...Beware of players who look lost and lousy. Especially when they were supposed to come "ready". The summer league is a place where NBA prospects who have some game usually score a lot...doesn't translate to the league in the same fashion. But our guy was overmatched...in the Rocky Mountain Revue...that speaks volumes. He was a lousy draft pick and that will prove itself.

There will be BK supporters that defend him saying that he is OK...he is not terrible...he contributes off the bench at least. Shelden Williams was not a top 5 player. That is why the other teams ahead of us never looked at him. He was in the 10-15 category. We are a poorly run outfit.

Quote:

BTW, Salim is not a PG. Last year. Now. In the future. BK said he would be...I knew after watching him last year that PG is not his gig. Why does this boob keep drafting players and insist that they play outside their skill level? I can't wait to hear about Chill at the 2...its coming. Gotta squeeze this collection of players out their somewhere...even if its not where they really play. With BK as our GM you can kiss this team goodbye.

Good point. We played Edwards at 4, Shelden at 3, Marvin at 2, and Salim at 1. So yes, JJ is a point guard and Chill is a 2. What did Billy say? something like "I don't believe in positions. I just want versatile players." And the results show it. Diaw is just another example.

But it will be more interesting and a better test if we try a summer league lineup with guys playing their projected positions. I'm not a Shelden fan, but I don't think this was a fair test of him yet.

Salim had nothing to do with his low post moves, poor defense, or lack of rebounding against inferior opposition. No, Salim is not a PG and we would have competed better witha PG. But Shelden's performance was his own.

Marcus Fizer is closer than Antonio Davis.

Suddenly, the payoffs look farther away...Imagine Foye next to JJ...naw, don't torture yourself.

You guys are nuts. I look at Sheldon's first game and I see some positives. Even with Salim chucking shots, he was able to get a few touches.

Yea I would of liked to see him go 8-10 from the field, but he didn't. The important thing is even though his shot wasn't falling he was getting to the free throw line. He shot 10 free throws, so it sounds like they couldn't handle Sheldon. They basically had to resort to fouling him every time he shot. This may have something to do with his low FG percentage.

As far as rebounding I really haven't seen any good rebouding numbers from players in any of the summer league games. However, I am happy to see Sheldon get to the line when his shot is not falling, alot of young guys don't understand this principle.

hey everyone texaspete is here after the first summer game to say LOOK AT ME I TOLD YOU SO!!!

look dude, you don't like the pick fine, but use a thread talking about the pick to talk about it..if you don't think the first summer game means anything, then why continuosly use this thread about the summer league to talk about how you didn't want the pick...

so i'm assuming after every game in the season shelden doesn't do well, you'll say how you didn't like the pick in the first place and after every game he does, you won't say anything..

I won't sit here and tell you that Pete's prediction on Shelden is fact, but I have some Air Force friends that attended the game last night and they felt sorry for me. We looked horrbile. We had no offensive sets and the guards had interstates to the rim. And yes it was Shelden's first game, but they said he looked more like a free agent pickup. They said he will be solid, but seemed a bit too mechanical for the NBA. Now watch him get 20 and 10 tonight.

TexasPete, it must be pretty lonely in that fantasy world you live in where you know every right draft pick and free agent signing the Hawks should make. When they don't do what you think (which is every move) you insult that player every chance you get, without thinking of what that player brings to the team. You get so caught up in draft position that you don't see the contributions that these players give. You keep talking about how horrible it is to have Josh Childress and Marvin or Shelden coming off the bench because of how high they were selected. Every team in the league that wants to win and challenge for the Finals wants to have great players coming off the bench. Look at Dallas with Stackhouse and Devin Harris. High quality bench players make a great team. Do you think that only scrubs and bad players come off the bench. I mean you can only start five players, does that mean the other 10 should be awful players?? Please explain your expert pholosophy. Maybe just once you could look at the positive assets that the Hawks players have, instead of hating everyone on the team. By the way, Adam Morrison had an abysmal first game and now everyone is touting him as ROY! Also, you are comparing one game by Shelden to a whole league for your wonder boys you love so much. Give Shelden the same amount of games and see where he is.

Quote:

I won't sit here and tell you that Pete's prediction on Shelden is fact, but I have some Air Force friends that attended the game last night and they felt sorry for me. We looked horrbile. We had no offensive sets and the guards had interstates to the rim. And yes it was Shelden's first game, but they said he looked more like a free agent pickup. They said he will be solid, but seemed a bit too mechanical for the NBA. Now watch him get 20 and 10 tonight.

Of course we don't have offensive sets defined.. we've never had that starting five on the floor together in a game before, and almost all of them were playing positions they aren't suited for.

Just to compare the approaches between us and the Blazers, take a look at these quotes from the Oregon paper.

Quote:

"Brandon Roy, he looks real good," said Randolph, who was at the Cox Pavilion to catch the Blazers' summer finale against Phoenix. "He showed me a lot tonight. Looks like the guy is ready to step in, contribute to this team."

Roy did all he could, getting 35 points and seven rebounds, but it wasn't enough as the Blazers lost 91-82 to finish 3-2 in the league.

Roy, the No. 6 pick in the draft, spent much of the first four games at point guard. It was an experiment to see if Roy, a natural shooting guard, could play with Webster, also a shooting guard. "We put Brandon at the point guard, and he was able to handle that pretty well, handle it efficiently," said Kevin Pritchard, Portland's director of player personnel.

On Wednesday, however, matched against a smaller, quicker Phoenix team, Roy spent much of the game at shooting guard and turned loose a vast offensive repertoire that helped the Blazers make a game of it. Phoenix led 55-37 at halftime before Roy scored 15 points in the third quarter, when he shot 5 for 6 from the field on a variety of drives, layups with both hands and pull-up jumpers. Behind Roy, the Blazers outscored the Suns 29-16 in the quarter. "We got down by a large amount, and Coach said, 'You gotta get aggressive, we need you to score,' " Roy said. "I just tried to turn on the scoring light. I did the best I can, but it was one of those nights, we were just flat."

Roy, who averaged 19.0 points, 3.6 assists and shot 66.7 percent from the field in five summer games, gives Portland a third shooting guard to go with Webster and veteran Juan Dixon. That's welcome news to second-year point guard Jarrett Jack, who had to play shooting guard for part of last season but figures to be able play mostly at the point now. "I hope so, man," said Jack, who did not play in summer league because he is recovering from ankle surgery but was in Las Vegas practicing most of the week. " If need be, I'll play anywhere on the court, but my natural position is playing the point, and if I can do that this year, I'll be happy."

Aldridge, the No. 2 pick of the draft, finished with a strong game, getting 19 points, nine rebounds and four blocked shots. But as expected, Aldridge struggled at times during summer play to maintain position against bulkier posts. "That's the thing that he'll have to get better at," Pritchard said. "He'll have to get in the weight room. But that's something I know he'll do. (Trainer) Bobby Medina will get him to put on 10, 15 more pounds, and he'll be a lot better player. Because right now it's a little physical in there for him." Aldridge showed good defensive timing, averaging 1.8 blocks to go with 11.6 points and 6.6 rebounds. But he also averaged 6.2 fouls, and if not for summer league rules, which differ from regular NBA rules, would have fouled out of three games.

This kind of management and relationship with the press gets people excited and looking forward to the season.

What did we get? Nothing in the AJC. Performances that would excite no-one (except us Marvin fans) and a GM who doesn't even try to excite the fans. Not how you build support for a team.

Meh...I see some positives and negatives. I think going crazy after one Summer League game is a bit rash and absurd. Doesn't Skita dominate these leagues every year? That right there should tell you how much of a measuring stick these games are.

I believe ATL posted the highest TV ratings in the country for the NBA playoffs. If the Hawks could ever put together a competitive squad, people would actually care. Kind of hard for the general public to get excited about a team that wins 16 games, 26 games, etc...

Lost in all the gnashing of teeth is the fact that points in the paint were tied 30-30. So that either means...

A) Guards dominate summer league

or

B) Our interior defense was much improved

...or both. Either way it portends to a more positive outlook for Sheldon than simply griping, "8 & 5 in summer league: BUST!"

Quote:

I believe ATL posted the highest TV ratings in the country for the NBA playoffs. If the Hawks could ever put together a competitive squad, people would actually care. Kind of hard for the general public to get excited about a team that wins 16 games, 26 games, etc...

But does Atlanta care about the home team?

Quote:

"Good point. We played Edwards at 4, Shelden at 3, Marvin at 2, and Salim at 1."

The box score was obviously wrong..Bozeman played the 2..

Oops. I don't know Bozeman at all so I Believed the box. Sorry. But that makes me feel worse. I thought they played badly because they were out of position, but now maybe there's no excuse.