• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sekou's latest 7/27 pm

Nurlman

Quote:

Harrington deal close but stalling

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/28/06

The terms of the sign-and-trade deal that will send Hawks free agent Al Harrington to Indiana are nearly done, according to two people familiar with the negotiations.

The Hawks will sign Harrington to a six-year deal worth an estimated $60 million and then send him and reserve center John Edwards, both former Pacers, back to Indiana in exchange for cash, a future draft pick and a trade exception.

The sticking point of the deal is the cash the Hawks will receive according to those familiar with the negotiations. The Hawks want more than the Pacers are willing to give. A deal for Harrington has stalled nearly a month after the NBA's free-agent negotiating period began.

"No, there is no deal. There is nothing new to report," Hawks general manager Billy Knight said Thursday afternoon.

Can someone explain to me why we want the trade exception? And why we're shipping out a big and not taking one (Harrison/Foster)?

Are we making room for Wilcox or similar, maybe?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If BK acquires this trade exception and then fails to use it that will be the final nail in his incompetance coffin. He had better have a strategy in mind and quick.

The "future" draft pick also worries me. It sounds a lot like "a player to be named later".

After watching BK for a few years you finally figure out he doesn't really think ahead very often. He is just a seat of the pants operator. That's why he has 3 good SF's on the roster.

Just one time I hope that he has something good (and immediate) in mind for the trade exception. This team really hasn't made any bold moves this offseason and our #1 pick is marginal.

I wonder if we are going to send this future pick and use the exception to get Wilcox. Wilcox doesn't fit BK's profile but he does fill the need for an athletic PF. I'm ready for something that helps the Hawks NOW.

• Premium Member

I think that we will keep cap flexibility, but I don't think that means that there's a deal lined up. I suspect that Bk may sign a Vet Big man, but that's it.

This deal really does nothing to make us better. This deal is just an accounting. Mainly, we play by the rules set by the Evil Lord Belkin... and we get another asset. If Magloire is a target, he should be a target next season and not this season. I will throw up if we trade a good BU like Chillz for a 1 year rental that we have the money to pick up anyway.

I would rather us just spend a smaller amount on Wilcox and see what we can do next offseason.

The Atlanta Spirit will do this deal because they are strapped for money. If they don't use the trade exception this off season to acquire talent to replace the 18pts a game from Al, then that will prove what a sorry state this franchise is in. Marvin will not replace Al's numbers this season folks, you can keep dreaming. We loose our second best player and acquire nothing in return????????????????

He trades an unrestricted free agent and gets a first round pick out of the deal. Not only that, but he doesn't take back any bad contracts in the process. Fabulous move!!

This deal maintains our cap flexibility, which is something that wouldn't have happened with Golden State.

What is fortunate is this. Now, the Hawks don't have the bottomless pit known as Al Harrington on offense. The ball movement of the offense will pick up, and the offense won't experience much if any drop off.

Hell, it probably won't drop off at all. Last season, the Hawks averaged 107.5 points per 100 possessions with Al in the game. They averaged 107.8 points per 100 possessions without Al in the line up. The coup de gras on this is that the Hawks gave up an average of 114.3 points per 100 possessions with Al in the game. Without Al, the Hawks gave up 109.9 points per 100 possessions.

Basically, this improves our offense due to the improved ball movement, and it improves our defense...both in an addition by subtraction situation.

Then you add in the fact that Marvin Williams, Josh Smith, and Josh Childress will all be better this year and combine that with the addition of Speedy Claxton, which stabilizes the point guard position, it's easy to see that the Hawks aren't going to miss Al Harrington at all.

If the pick is unconditional, then there's a great chance the pick will be in the late lottery. I don't see the Pacers making the playoffs this year.

If this pick is definitely in 2007, then Atlanta is back in the game and could be in a position to draft Ronald Steele!!

• Premium Member

By trading for Al...?

By not trading Al at the deadline...?

Weather you like Al or hate Al you must admit that he made a good offensive contribution that can't easily be replaced by our young players. We will miss his consistency.

• Premium Member

Well, I think it's stupid for us to count on draft picks all over again. We should be out of the acquisition of talent phase of Hawks basketball. What I do see is a useful asset in the draft. I'm glad if BK can get out of John Edwards' contract.

Not at all.

Had the Hawks traded Al at the deadline, they would have likely had to take back a contract they didn't want. I don't think they would have gotten a first round pick from a team that probably won't make the playoffs had they made the deal at the deadline.

Trading for Al wasn't a mistake either. He had a cheap contract and was a bargain for what he was being paid. He simply didn't fit in the style the Hawks want to play with the focal points being on defense and ball movement offensively.

Draft picks are the life blood of a basketball franchise. The Hawks dealt two to Phoenix to get a great player in Joe Johnson. They will get one of those picks back, essentially, in this deal once it is finalized.

Teams that want to sustain success never ignore the draft.

Quote:

Well, I think it's stupid for us to count on draft picks all over again. We should be out of the acquisition of talent phase of Hawks basketball. What I do see is a useful asset in the draft. I'm glad if BK can get out of John Edwards' contract.

how refreshing