• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Does Al say screw it?

DrReality

agreed. since vs sense (twice), losing / loosing, writing / writting all just in this thread. And "My writting ability on this site has nothing to do with my predication of the english language" in which predication is completely misused (I believe).

I understand that you don't need to use perfect grammar / spelling on the web as much as you would on the job, but it still seems like something that comes naturally to you (and that you would take pride in) if it's your job. It would be like the kid at the gym who can't make a layup telling you that he's a pro baller and that he's just not trying right now because not on the job. At the very least that kid should expect to be severely doubted.

But it's not my problem...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Quote:

I would think that as a writer you would take extra effort to exhibit good grammar skills, regardless of the forum. It stands to reason that it would make your job, and the job of those that proof you, much easier. That's just my observation though.

and for the record, I have yet to "start up" anything with you.

Your observation is appreciated, but those who proof me don't have to worry about those "mindless" mistakes. Because they are not their when I'm in work mode. So you see any of those types of errors in the actual article? No, you don’t.

If you were trying to offer up some constructive criticism then cool, I can handle that, but you seem to have a problem with the way you talk to people. In life how you say things are more important than what you say to people.

I'd be willing to bet that people always or have always told you about things that you say, or how they've perceived something you have said, and you've had to go back and say, "No I didn't mean it like that"

It's cool to be presumptuous, but bring the level down from a 10 to a 6. Then you would be alright

By the way the errors are "Their" on purpose just cuz I feel like it...Especially "since" you have "yet" to start up with me

• Premium Member

Quote:

It would be like the kid at the gym who can't make a layup telling you that he's a pro baller and that he's just not trying right now because not on the job.

Well, let me put it like this:

My father-in-law is a landscaper. He does it 8+ hours/day, 5+ days/week. When he gets home, guess what the last thing he wants to worry about is?

His own lawn is a disaster.

Fair enough, but doing his lawn would require effort. When you're typing, writing "since" or "sense" takes equal effort. I understand that you might not want to proofread, but if you write well naturally, it seems like it would come out naturally. I can tell that you are a good writer even though you occasionally make mistakes.

I'm saying that at the VERY LEAST, if your average spelling and grammar is amongst the worst on the site, you should expect skepticism when claiming to be a professional writer. That's all

Quote:

Your observation is appreciated, but those who proof me don't have to worry about those "mindless" mistakes. Because they are not their when I'm in work mode. So you see any of those types of errors in the actual article? No, you don’t.

Well from that small sliver that you gave us, yes you do see mistakes:

Quote:

As Al looks forward to July 1st,
when he able to do his Free Agent visit’s he says in closing
, “Maybe Atlanta can get something done so I don’t have to go visit nobody. Until then I’ll just keep my options open and we’ll see what happens.”

link

I wouldn't know where to begin on that sentence if I was grading it.

And most of your mistakes that we point out are NOT typos, they are just completely wrong. I believe you once said "no pond intended"...it is as if you don't know what some of these cliches are and mean. I will admit, you get extra criticism than most, but that is because you claim to be a journalist and you appear to type like someone on a yearbook staff.

• Premium Member

This is truly the most slow news day in Hawks history when several people have nothing better to do than rip apart someone's grammar.

But FWIW I admit I wince slightly at some of her posts. I have two degrees in history and my wife is an English major. I had to proofread my own papers and some of her errors are either intentionally bad or show she needs work on her grammar.

• Premium Member

My father is a prescriptivist as far as it comes to grammar and writing. He expects every 'i' to be dotted, every comma in its "proper" place, etc. His ideas about grammar and style are based primarily on the Latin-influenced rules he memorized as a child. For him, you should always write flawlessly, which really means writing like an academic.

Most of the time, I'm more concerned about meaning and audience. For teenagers and young college students, you have to explain the differences between the writing they do informally (like this site) and the specific expectations of the academic or corporate world.

In formal writing, word choice, punctuation, grammar, etc. are expected to meet the highest standards. By contrast, in the informal world of text messaging, email, Yahoo messenger, and forums like this one, the social aspect is much more important (e.g., to present a certain persona). Writing in "perfect," academic English can label a young person. Plus, it's actually relieving for a lot of people to not have to worry about the minor details (and they are often minor, since the meaning was never in doubt).

In other words, for a lot of people on the Internet, it's not as simple as being uneducated or being lazy. I will admit, though, that in my case it's simply laziness. On here, I'm much more worried you won't agree with me than I am that you think I'm a poor writer. blush.gif

Quote:

And "My writting ability on this site has nothing to do with my predication of the english language" in which predication is completely misused (I believe).

Well maybe you are right, maybe I should have said "my predication in using the english language"

Then it would be 100% gramaticaly correct. Instead of my using a social dialect in maing that statement. wink.gif

Quote:

This is truly the most slow news day in Hawks history when several people have nothing better to do than rip apart someone's grammar.

But FWIW I admit I wince slightly at some of her posts. I have two degrees in history and my wife is an English major. I had to proofread my own papers and some of her errors are either intentionally bad or show she needs work on her grammar.

A veeeeeery slow day.

I like her imagination, but damn she needs someone to proofread.

I think some of the reasons why people rip her so much is because they have the mentality that "hey, I could do that job." Which I know that is in the back of my mind when I read her posts. People get jealous, it is such a cool job and if someone can mix up the simplest of things (since and sense) then damnit I could do it! On one hand I am jealous, but on the other I am somewhat glad that she shares information with us so we kind of know what life is like doing the writing thing.

• Premium Member

I will be the first to admit I always have had a bit of envy for my good friend Jaywalker and his good fortune in having a chance to cover the Hawks. I think most of the hostility toward here is the same sense of "Hey I can do that too!" you ascribed to in your post.

Edit: first time I have used the word "ascribed" at this site. There was much cavorting in the streets. tongue.gif

Yeah those homophones are a [censored]. I got a good resource for some of you posters. Dictionary.com If you are unsure about the spelling of a word...go to that site and type it in. If you are wrong it will ask you did you really mean "X"

Also if you like to use large words like I do, it would really help that you actually knew what those words actually mean...

For example..

I am turned off by the media's antediluvian attitude towards Billy Knights style of management.

Quote:

As Al looks forward to July 1st,
when he's able to do his Free Agent visit’s he says in closing
, “Maybe Atlanta can get something done so I don’t have to go visit nobody. Until then I’ll just keep my options open and we’ll see what happens.”

Quote:

I wouldn't know where to begin on that sentence if I was grading it.

Ok, thats fine you see that, but writing for a newspaper is different than writing for a magazine. Some magazines permit writing in a relaxed format that permits the use of colloquialism and slang to a certain degree.......

But, give me an F. If you are at Rock bottom you can't do anything but go up! smirk.gif

It's great to see that I got that much power to make you go back and do that. I guess I am truly a princess smirk.gif

Quote:

It's great to see that I got that much power to make you go back and do that. I guess I am truly a princess
smirk.gif

Thats just the beauty of the internet, its very easy to go back and find previous posts. But to be honest, I just wanted to be a d*ck and prove you wrong (maybe it was jealousy of you being a writer? j/k).

BBP I must say, you have recently been able to brush off criticism much easier now than when you first started posting. And don't take my criticism personally, I bet you have a great personality. I just don't like the mix up of words and phrases (if you really want to get me mad then use "begs the question" in the wrong context, which 97% of people use it wrong).

Quote:

Quote:

It's great to see that I got that much power to make you go back and do that. I guess I am truly a princess
smirk.gif

Thats just the beauty of the internet, its very easy to go back and find previous posts. But to be honest, I just wanted to be a d*ck and prove you wrong (maybe it was jealousy of you being a writer? j/k).

BBP I must say, you have recently been able to brush off criticism much easier now than when you first started posting. And don't take my criticism personally, I bet you have a great personality. I just don't like the mix up of words and phrases (if you really want to get me mad then use "begs the question" in the wrong context, which 97% of people use it wrong).

LOL! Yeah, it's easier because I "since" sense what type of guys there "our" (are) on here. They seem to be oh so perfect, so I like I like to do the oh-not-so-perfect things and it always gets a reaction. You do have to admit things have gotten more exciting round (opps around) here "sense" (since) I've been here.

One thing you need to understand is that if you go after someone aggressively they will respond in kind.

On the other hand there is someone like graymule, who never gets flamed because he never goes after anyone.

I can be as much of a hothead as anyone, and certainly have no problem arguing aggressively.I have gotten into a heated argument with almost everyone here at one time or another. But I can put a battle behind me fairly easily.

It is just a message board so I remind myself occassionally not to take things too personally.

Quote:

Sounds like we need to write a Code of Grammurabi to avoid these future mistakes?