• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Donnie Walsh says Harrington deal still on table

FrankSlade7

Walsh Says Harrington

Deal Still On Table

By Conrad Brunner

Aug. 21, 2006

The Pacers are still very much involved in discussions about a possible sign-and-trade deal for Atlanta forward Al Harrington, franchise CEO & President Donnie Walsh said today.

Weekend media reports suggested ownership had stepped in to squelch the deal, leading the Hawks to re-open trade discussions with other teams.

"I think we're coming down to it and we'll either get it or we won't," said Walsh. "It's a negotiation – in terms of the trade, in terms of the (contract).

We've been negotiating and that takes time. Usually, the press doesn't get wind of that until it gets toward the end. But here it seems like they were in it before we had any understanding we could do a trade with Atlanta and then (reported) definitely that the deal was done or that it was imminent before we even talked to Al's people.

You have to understand, there was also a change of agents in all this, so that took some time, too.

"I think it's business as usual, myself. It's gone the way every deal goes for me."

Walsh said co-owners Herb and Melvin Simon have been involved in the discussions, but that has been the norm throughout his career. The difference in this case, he said, has been the public nature of the trade negotiations through ongoing newspaper accounts in Atlanta and Indianapolis.

"The owners always get involved. The owners were involved from day one," he said. "If you think you're giving out $20-40 million packages without getting in touch with the owner, you're crazy. (Herb Simon)'s involvement has always been helpful to me. Look, this guy has made some great deals in his life, so he always brings a wrinkle in that's useful.

"I think he's in support of the deal but within the parameters."

The framework for the deal is in place, Walsh said. What remains is to work out the details of Harrington's contract.

"There have been three stages to this," Walsh said. "The first stage was where there were a lot of teams trying to trade for Al, we had the exception but it looked like they could get more money if they went in different directions so we weren't as involved then.

When that got over with and those trades didn't go down, then they started focusing on us. But then we had to deal with Atlanta as to what it would take to make this trade. So that was a negotiation, and that took time.

"We got to the point last week where we kind of understand each other and now we're dealing with Al. It's that simple."

While not divulging details of the negotiations, Walsh said media reports of a 6-year, $57 million deal are little more than supposition based on the Pacers' $7.5 million trade exception.

Those figures were reported before Walsh had entered into negotiations with Tellem, which began in earnest last week. Harrington fired his previous agent during the trade talks and hired Tellem, who was required by league rules to wait two weeks before assuming his role as the forward's official representative.

"You're going through stages where the press seems to have things, I think from the players and the agents, because it's in their interest to kind of put it out there," he said. "I know this: we haven't made any statements, and I'm talking about me, Herb and Larry (Bird).

"I just think there's been a lot of misinformation about where this deal was and a lot of suppositions. People had the deal negotiated before we even talked about it.

It was pretty easy to look at our exception and say, 'Oh, it's going to be $57 million,' when we hadn't even talked about it yet. I read last week the deal was imminent. Who's telling them that?

"Deals take time. There are negotiations going on. It's no different than any deal we've done other than it's been in the press for a long time. It has not been imminent at any point, and certainly not at the point it was reported to have been imminent."

So what is the status of the deal?

Said Walsh: "It's in negotiation."

Pacers.Com

Quote:

"You're going through stages where the press seems to have things, I think from the players and the agents, because it's in their interest to kind of put it out there," he said.

"I know this: we haven't made any statements, and I'm talking about me, Herb and Larry (Bird).

"I just think there's been a lot of misinformation about where this deal was and a lot of suppositions. People had the deal negotiated before we even talked about it.

It was pretty easy to look at our exception and say, 'Oh, it's going to be $57 million,' when we hadn't even talked about it yet.

I read last week the deal was imminent. Who's telling them that?

This part is very telling, basically saying we think we may know, but we have no idea.

At the end of the day, Indiana can either agree or turn down the deal that is on the table.

Al and his agent have shopped around a few times now and keep coming back to square one, that part is clear.

No one has been holding a gun to Atlanta or Harrington forcing them to do anything yet , here we are 7 weeks later.

If they can find a better deal fine . take it already what's the hold up ?

I though it was Atlanta that was holding all the cards, then why is Indiana blamed for doing good business and offering the best deal in thier interest.

It all boils down to it's a business, Harrington unerstands that, both teams know that. I think sometimes fans forget that.

It's nothing personal, If Harrington wanted to he could sign for the MLE and say forget this process, but he is a business man like all Professional Athletes are.

These kind of negotiations go one every day, and sure it may seem cold and unfriendly at times, but that's the name of the game.

No side is innocent when it comes to getting as much as you can for as little as possible.

• Premium Member

Quote:

No one has been holding a gun to Atlanta or Harrington forcing them to do anything yet , here we are 7 weeks later.

If they can find a better deal fine . take it already what's the hold up ?

The correct response is NOT ANY MORE.

Indy was basically using what they knew to screw Al. Basically what Indy offered was a 4 year 36 million dollar deal. This is an interesting deal huh. 4 yrs because they know based on the court case that Atlanta can only offer 4 years. And their amount = to the amount that the TE would give.

Isn't that a screw job when you consider that they had already agreed to a 6 year deal. Plus, supposedly they took Edwards off the table and also put limits on the draft pick.

Atlanta was supposed to walk away.

now, that we have walked away, Donnie Walsh has found out that a trade Exception can't play PF and get you 19 and 7.

I don't know where the goof happened on Indy's end by Hawkamerica is very happy that our GM has the balls to walk away.

• Premium Member

Quote:

the Pacers, who are trying to rebound from a disappointing season, have spent more than a month trying to work out a deal with the Hawks. The Pacers were the front-runners for Harrington, who spent his first six seasons here, but they'll have trouble getting him now. Denver and Golden State are believed to be willing to acquire Harrington for about $65 million over six years. The Los Angeles Lakers are also expected to be in the mix.

Harrington has spent the past two seasons in Atlanta, averaging 18.1 points per game.

Without Harrington, the Pacers' status in the Eastern Conference is unsettled. They have acquired eight new players this summer, but they haven't landed a player with the ability to compliment Jermaine O'Neal. They traded Ron Artest for Peja Stojakovic in January, then shipped Stojakovic to New Orleans in a sign-and-trade deal last month.

The Pacers still have trade exceptions of $7.5 million and $2.6 million, the midlevel exception of about $5.2 million and their bi-annual exception of $1.7 million to use this summer.

"We have done a lot of things to this point," Walsh said earlier this week. "We've got another month and a half until training camp, so there is plenty of time to get our roster how we want it."

Walsh also said earlier this week that they're willing to start camp with the current roster, then look to make other moves.

"Some times you have to go into training camp not having everything you want," Walsh said. "We don't normally do things that way, but that's always an option."

Quote:

The correct response is NOT ANY MORE.

Indy was basically using what they knew to screw Al. Basically what Indy offered was a 4 year 36 million dollar deal. This is an interesting deal huh. 4 yrs because they know based on the court case that Atlanta can only offer 4 years. And their amount = to the amount that the TE would give.

Isn't that a screw job when you consider that they had already agreed to a 6 year deal. Plus, supposedly they took Edwards off the table and also put limits on the draft pick.

Oh please, once again "we" have no idea that the 4 years 36 million offer even existed. AJC reported it sure.

Media outlets often are used to leak half-truths to help one side or another that is a fact, if people don't believe that , they need to wake up.

Harrington forced to play for the MLE now maybe that's closer to being screwed. averaging 9 million a year, when at best he is the 2nd option is not being screwed.

Atl had a gun to their heads?

Why just because the Pacers Front office was savvy enough to know what they were working with going into negotiations.

Not hardly.

Like I said this is business, it's not all hugs and kisses.

There are so many aspects to this, each side seeing how far they can push the other.

Atlanta is the seller, like a car salesman.

The Customer is the only one that walks away.

Either to another dealership or with what they came for a good product at the very best possible price.

Sure sometimes you have to overpay if you really want something, but then again why do it if it's not necessary.

I don't for one second feels sorry for any one side. I'm sure Al's agent is not going to let him sign a deal if it's not within reason anyway.

Like I said, If Atl has a better offer , than by all means take it. please! I would love to move on, one way or another.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Why just because the Pacers Front office was savvy enough to know what they were working with going into negotiations.

Not hardly.

And it will be business when Atlanta makes a deal with Denver, LAL or GS and watch Indy have to dismantle and rebuild. You guys will have a 121 million dollar player with no future. Sorta like KG in Minny or AI in Philly...

and it will be Business. Because you guys (regardless of how it happens) bungled a deal that could have gotten you the courterpart to JO that could have made you contenders for something. NOW.. Jax and Foster will become contracts that nobody will take from you... and let's not began to talk about JO's contract.

This is just the turning point to Indy's future... and you can thank Simon & Simon and Walsh and Bird... For in the end, they will make Isiah look brilliant.

At the point you're at now as a franchise, you should be begging BK to take the deal with 6 years, 3 million and a first!

Quote:

Quote:

Not hardly.

And it will be business when Atlanta makes a deal with Denver, LAL or GS and watch Indy have to dismantle and rebuild. You guys will have a 121 million dollar player with no future. Sorta like KG in Minny or AI in Philly...

and it will be Business. Because you guys (regardless of how it happens) bungled a deal that could have gotten you the courterpart to JO that could have made you contenders for something. NOW.. Jax and Foster will become contracts that nobody will take from you... and let's not began to talk about JO's contract.

This is just the turning point to Indy's future... and you can thank Simon & Simon and Walsh and Bird... For in the end, they will make Isiah look brilliant.

At the point you're at now as a franchise, you should be begging BK to take the deal with 6 years, 3 million and a first!

Good call!! Atlanta should get two first rounders and a Boris Diaw type for Al that would be fair, even though the Pacers have won more games last year than the Hawks in the last two. Well at least they are set with Chris Paul at point. I'm sure ATL has improved by losing their second leader in PTS, REBS, and assist and picked up a career back up point guard and an undersized PF that was picked way too high. Well at least they have the solid ownership. When is the last time ATL made the playoffs, the Pacers have went like 16 of 17 years??? ATL did beat the Pacers in some meaningless regular seasons games you can always reflect on what that got ya.

Anyway, not the fans faults, love the passion, but be realistic, at least a little.

Quote:

Quote:

Not hardly.

Oh my it's hard to argue with someone whose own frustration

is blinding him from what are facts, and what is just personal feelings that have to be applied to the other team's well being to over compensate.

In regards to rebuilding or revamping , Indiana has already made more moves than most this offseason. Two years ago we had one of the highest payrolls in the league, Second highest I believe. In regards to teams that are over the cap, which most are Indiana is in of of the best situations They are able to use the 7.5 TE and MLE without going over the Luxury Tax.

As far as Jax and Foster, have you taken a look at the all the other teams in the league and their unwanted contracts?

Foster and Jackson are not even close. For what Foster does and contributes his contract is a little high but certainly tradeable.

The Pacers have already said publically at least two other moves will be made not including the possible Harrington deal. So I am not going to worry or judge the roster as it stands. I have to much confidence in our ownership, mgmt and track record overall which speaks volumes for itself.

For the record if for some reason the Pacers fall flat this year , I am comfortable in the position the Pacers are in

now with Contracts, and the cap. I am not worried about JO he will still be a 20 and 10 guy, they have multiple young prospects to build from, so no worries on my end.

Just like I have never assumed the Indy deal was done, I don't assume that it's dead either.

If you're personally upset at what Indiana is trying to do,

Do you honestly want your team to pay as much for a FA as possible to make the other team and the player feel all warm and fuzzy?, Or would you like Atl Mgmt to actually hold out for the best deal in their interest?

It's a different story isn't it ?

A shrewd business person never mortgages their future for one deal, no matter the situation.

Now that's not to say some have done this or will continue to do that. I am glad though my team does not believe in that, and I would hope you would want your team to do the same.

Best of luck this year, I certainly hope everything turns out great for you and your team.

• Premium Member

Indy is the Atlanta Braves of Basketball? Actually, the Braves did win it all before.

Still...

Not to disrespect Indy fans... however, your management bungled a sweetheart of a deal.

They were getting a 18/7 PF/Sf who knows the ins and outs of Indy's system and all they have to give was:

A pick which would have ended up being Mid to Late first round and 3 million dollars cash (non cap money).

What's there to get so greedy about.

It's not passions' fault that Indy has no deal for AL. It's greed plain and simple. Now maybe it's true that Indy's management and Ownership cannot get it together... But tell me..

When will I see Trade Exeption suit up and put up 20 points and 5 rebounds?

• Premium Member

Last year, before the season this is what Bird Said:

Quote:

We do have to get better," Bird said.
"Even if Ron had played all year I don’t know if we would have been a championship team, (but) we would have been a heck of a lot better.
I think in the draft we will be able to pick up a player that will help us move forward, but will we make a lot of changes? I don’t know.

"I think it all depends on Jermaine O’Neal. I’ll put the pressure right on him. If he comes back in great shape and he’s got Ronnie on his side, and he’s got Stephen Jackson, and Jamaal Tinsley and does the things he needs to do in the summer … We’ll be all right, but we do need to get better in certain areas."

Now, I don't want to rain on your parade but let's be honest here. If you're not in it to win it, why are you in it at all? Maybe you want to disagree, but can you really disagree that you guys have the exact same team that Bird said needed to get better and was not " a championship team" WITHOUT ARTEST and you believe that somehow you guys got better by the subtraction of Artest and no one to fill his place.

Now, let's play the "I Dare you " game.

I Dare you to name one forward (Sf/PF) on his second contract who is making 7.6 million or less that is better than Harrington and has a better attitude than Harrington.

Quote:

Last year, before the season this is what Bird Said:

Quote:

We do have to get better," Bird said.
"Even if Ron had played all year I don’t know if we would have been a championship team, (but) we would have been a heck of a lot better.
I think in the draft we will be able to pick up a player that will help us move forward, but will we make a lot of changes? I don’t know.

"I think it all depends on Jermaine O’Neal. I’ll put the pressure right on him. If he comes back in great shape and he’s got Ronnie on his side, and he’s got Stephen Jackson, and Jamaal Tinsley and does the things he needs to do in the summer … We’ll be all right, but we do need to get better in certain areas."

Now, I don't want to rain on your parade but let's be honest here. If you're not in it to win it, why are you in it at all? Maybe you want to disagree, but can you really disagree that you guys have the exact same team that Bird said needed to get better and was not " a championship team" WITHOUT ARTEST and you believe that somehow you guys got better by the subtraction of Artest and no one to fill his place.

Now, let's play the "I Dare you " game.

I Dare you to name one forward (Sf/PF) on his second contract who is making 7.6 million or less that is better than Harrington and has a better attitude than Harrington.

Why give up a guy so valuable and cheap.

Quote:

Quote:

I double dare you

Lol, aren't there two of them on the Hawks team alone, according to Hawk fans?

• Premium Member

Well, honestly, because we have other guys and we like you, have ownership problems. Whereas you're owners are rich and just scared to spend money, our owners are constantly fighting. However, we still have good play at the Sf position.

Do we need anything back from Al? Not really. We have a capable player at every position. Our GM wants to keep our financial future flexible.

Moreover, we our owners are in the midst of a fight and their first preference is not to spend. However, if necessary, you will see us make a deal for an ending contract. We're doing Al a favor here.

Quote:

Well, honestly, because we have other guys and we like you, have ownership problems. Whereas you're owners are rich and just scared to spend money, our owners are constantly fighting. However, we still have good play at the Sf position.

Do we need anything back from Al? Not really. We have a capable player at every position. Our GM wants to keep our financial future flexible.

Moreover, we our owners are in the midst of a fight and their first preference is not to spend. However, if necessary, you will see us make a deal for an ending contract. We're doing Al a favor here.

The Pacers have had one of the higher payrolls, the owners are probably seen as one of the best in the league. There is a difference between being careful and being afraid to spend.

I hope I don't go to the grocery store tonight and the cashier doesn't get mad and start screaming at me that I did't buy some items that I thought were too much.