• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who is our low-post option?

lush23

When things slow down which they do, who will be our low post offensive option. Please don't tell me Zaza and Sheldon. We have no low post threat. The trade of Al was a complete disaster. BK should be fired today! This team will not win 30 games. How can you possibly trade one of your best offensive weapons for a future draft pick when the drafts are so watered down these days??????????

JJ is by far the best post scorer on the Hawks roster, but with Speedy running the point he should have a lot more opportunity to score down there.

Josh Smith was also beginning to develop a little bit of a post game, and Zaza...but that's going to be a problem.

But at the same time, Al was a post option but he didn't actually shoot a high percentage. He wasn't necessarily the m ost effective post option and he was the king of making a brilliant move and then missing the layup.

Quote:

Smoove has zero low post skills and Zaza and Sheldon are undersized and below average skilled at their positions. Sorry but these are facts.

Smoove was forced onto the perimeter last year because Al and Zaza dominated the paint. His body is made for the paint. He's probably approaching 6'9" 250 or so by now. When he FINALLY got a chance to get touches in the post last year, he did very well, showed a nice little hook and dunking ability. There is no reason to doubt that he can do well in the post.

Zaza is undersized? At 6'11 265 lbs, I'm not sure how he's undersized. He scored nearly 12 ppg last year in his first season getting minutes. He plays little to no D, but he can score just fine.

As for Shelden, he may be on the shorter side, but he plays much bigger than he is, and is stronger than most players he will face, even at the NBA level. He will be able to score in the post and by hitting jumpers. His lack of size will effect him on D much more than it will on offense.

Don't masquerade your opinions as facts.

Quote:

Smoove has zero low post skills

Smoove's post game was developing at the end of last season, but I geuss you had stopped watching games by then. Basically, he's started to develop a nice turn-and-face runner/hookshot off the backboard from the post where he beats his man with quickness. I think this season he's just going to build on that.

Quote:

Smoove was forced onto the perimeter last year because Al and Zaza dominated the paint. His body is made for the paint. He's probably approaching 6'9" 250 or so by now. When he FINALLY got a chance to get touches in the post last year, he did very well, showed a nice little hook and dunking ability. There is no reason to doubt that he can do well in the post.

Man if Smoove is bulking up to that extent, I can only imagine how nasty he's gonna be once he takes over the 4. A little Reign Man action minus the alcohol.

Quote:

When things slow down which they do, who will be our low post offensive option. Please don't tell me Zaza and Sheldon. We have no low post threat. The trade of Al was a complete disaster. BK should be fired today! This team will not win 30 games. How can you possibly trade one of your best offensive weapons for a future draft pick when the drafts are so watered down these days??????????

Zaza and Shelden wink.gif

Dang, we shouldn't have traded Edwards.

Quote:

Man if Smoove is bulking up to that extent, I can only imagine how nasty he's gonna be once he takes over the 4. A little Reign Man action minus the alcohol.

Well supposedly he was around 240 at the start of last season. And he has supposedly gotten noticeably bigger/stronger over this summer. So he's probably somewhere in the 240-250 range. You never really know their weights. All I know is that he is not too short / weak / small to play the PF. He is not undersized.

I agree that it's hard to imagine Smoove having a Tim Duncan type of ultra-polished post game with an assortment of turn around jumpers off the glass...but I can imagine him playing an Amare Stoudamire/Kenyon Martin sort of style, using quickness and explosive athleticism to beat his man and get to the rim. And I believe JJ was far better in the post than Al, but of course we need JJ to spend more time on the perimeter.

It's a valid question. Al had some good post moves.

I wonder if we won't ever go with a tall lineup and have JJ post up a PG. He was actually a much more effective half court option than Al.

Not sure about post scoring, but this team sure has a lot of guys who can score. Post scoring will be one of our weaknesses, but every team has its imperfections.

here's another take on the Harrington deal. I believe it will hurt Zaza's production. his boards will go down since most of them were offensive . also his points will go down because he won't have so many putback opportunitites.

after all Al won't be here chucking all those shots, which truly was offensive. wink.gif