• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I don't understand....

Diesel

Guest Walter

...as the greater cause of the team's poor play, unquestionably, the onus is now on the players to perform. This game was UGLY and the play of many Hawk's players individually was equally as ugly.

BTW, I know you defend Robinson, Diesel, but he looked absolutely useless against the rookie, Butler.

This suggests that Lon wasn't as much the cause of the team's poor showing as was spoken of here or publicized and that the players were more responsible than they were held responsible. Just how much so is too be seen. This is really not suprising as often a coach must go (since they often made gone more easily) to free up critical examination of the players.

If I'm a player I start searching deep. There isn't a coach scapegoat to shield me from criticism. Dig deep.

W

• Admin

While I agree that Lon wasn't the coach we needed. I also said that 50% of the blame fell to the players and I stand by that. They are a flawed bunch of players. One dimensional talent-wise and heartless desire-wise.

Anyone who thinks ANY coach would make these guys into contenders is crazy. They could make the playoffs. But they will never be contenders because they do not have one player that has the heart AND the game to be a leader.

Walter,

I agree. It is the player's intensity. But, I think the root of this is Big Dog. The coach cannot let him run out there with no discipline.

He killed us offensively tonight. Dumb shots and turnovers. Yet... he played more minutes than ANYONE. It wasn't because he helped defensively... that's for sure. I have never seen anyone play such blatantly poor defense.

I disliked Lon, because I felt he didn't get on players for doing what Big Dog does. Well, niether has Stotts. I have seen Stotts bench Reef. I have seen him bench Terry. But, Big Dog goes unquestioned.

Yet, again, he played the most minutes.

We looked the best offensively when he was off the floor. We ran the offense through Shareef, who distributed the ball effectively out of the high double. We got open looks, but weren't able to bury them. Explain to me why we went away from that when the Lazy Dog came back in. Why we settled for contested jumpers again?

Defensively he costs an already strained defense. We have to fill in for his glaring inability and lack of desire to play defense. We don't have the talent out there on that end to do that.

Play.

Reef also had 3 assists and 4 turnovers. That's seven shots wasted, and if he hits five of those seven as he shot from the field for the game, thats 10 points, which puts him at 22 points. Those 7 times he had the ball in his hands and decided to pass would have put him at around 20 shots for the game. Who's fault is it if Reef decides to waste four of his looks on turnovers? BTW Reef could've scored 30 today and the Hawks still would have lost.

HDS428,

Reefs turnovers had precious little about poor passing.

TO #1: A pass to Theo Ratliff that slipped right out of his hands. He was open for a dunk.

TO #2: A three second call, which I still believe was about 1.5 seconds. If you didn't see the game, he drove into the lane, pump faked and a whistle blew. Really... no fancy footplay - nothing.

TO #3: Another pass to Theo. Theo, I have decided couldn't catch a cold. He always misses open chances by having what could be legitimately the worst hands in all of basketball.

TO #4: An offensive foul away from the ball. It was a bogus call, but aren't the Hawks always victim to bogus calls.

3 assists do NOT equate to 3 wasted shots, unless your name happens to be Glenn Robinson. That is called getting the team involved. It is smart basketball. Further, two of those assists came in the second quarter when the offense flowed through Reef. He was dishing out of the high double team to open men.

Passing the ball is NOT wasting a possession. If you don't pass you are a ball hog.

Play.

Play it has nothing to do with poor passing and everything to do with poor decision making. Everybody in the league knows Reef is the man in ATL and it's not a power forward's job to run the offense and get assists. If you're the team captain, the lead scorer, and your team is down by 24 in the third, are you looking to pass it to Theo???

ChillzAtl,

I think they could be, but it would take MAJOR work.

When you say core, I assume you mean - Big Dog, Reef and Terry. (and to a lesser extent Theo)

I think it could work. It depends what you surround them with. What type of gameplan is implemented.

What comes off of the bench matters too.

But, I wouldn't WANT this team to be contenders. Too much work. Plus, I have finally sunken into hatred over Big Dog. I tried to fight it... I did... but I had such high aspirations with his aquisition. I never would have imagined the horror that he is to watch.

Play.

HDS428,

In the third quarter, the offense ran through Big Dog. Nothing Reef could do about it. The two TOs to Theo came in the first and third.

I don't agree that it is NOT the PFs job to run the offense and get assists. I don't think it should be the prevailing job, but it definately should be there.

Look at Duncan or Garnett. Isn't Garnett having a career low in shooting.

Getting the team involved is what a GREAT player does. But, he also turns it on himself.

What I keep saying about Big Dog is that he is such a ball hog he makes removes the rest of the team from the equation. As long as Big Dog runs the offense, Reef can't attack, because he doesn't touch the ball.

Play.

PS - We wouldn't be down 24 in the third if we ran the offense through Reef. and quit letting Big Dog and the rest settle for contested jumpers.