• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sekou: Early chemistry a key

DrReality

AJC > Sports > Hawks > Blog

Early chemistry a key

By Sekou Smith | Monday, October 2, 2006, 03:47 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The real show doesn’t start until Tuesday. That’s when the Hawks hit the court for two-a-day practices and we all find out just what kind of chemistry this team will have this season. Aside from the obvious — keeping the main characters off the injury list — I don’t know that there is a more important issue for this or any team in the NBA.

The Hawks didn’t find the right chemistry mix until two months into the season a year ago, their 2-16 record during the first 18 games proof that the right balance eluded them until then. No one wanted to use Jason Collier’s death as an excuse, but to this day I believe that the traumatic impact of Oct. 16, 2005, was never acknowledged for the devastation it wrought throughout the organization.

It almost felt like the Hawks had to hit rock bottom last year (the hot seat was blazing for the coaching staff by then; the owners had to either give Mike Woodson a vote of confidence or give him the boot — they made the right choice by the way) before they could rise from the ashes that was all their early season tumult.

It took weeks for Joe Johnson to find his comfort zone with his new teammates (remember, his deal didn’t get done until late August) and then Marvin Williams and Salim Stoudamire had to be incorporated into the playing rotation.

I say all that to make this point, aside from Speedy Claxton’s hopefully speedy (sorry, couldn’t resist) recovery from his broken hand, the Hawks shouldn’t have any other speed bumps to slow them down this season. At least none that are obvious right now.

So let’s study the first 18 games on the schedule for this season. And yes, I know we’ve got the preseason schedule to deal with. But that’s just an extended training camp. I’m talking about the game that actually count.

Let’s look 18-deep right now and guess where these guys could be by then. Keep in mind that for the first time in years that first month won’t include an extended trip through the Western Conference, where the most promising of seasons can be derailed in a matter of days.

The Hawks play 14 games before having to worry about that Western Conference trip. And by then, we should have a pretty good idea of what type of team these guys are capable of becoming and what type of season they can put together with a roster that is finally two-deep (legitimately two-deep) at every position.

Now I’m not even a fan of preseason predictions for a season (I know, I know, that’s not what it looked like in Sunday’s paper), let alone first month predictions. But as far as I can tell, the Hawks’ first 18 games shape as their most important of the season. If they get off to a good start the possibilities are endless. If not …

Playing .500 ball or even better through 18 games would be off the charts for the Hawks. But if the Hawks can stay anywhere within three games of .500 through the first 18 games, they have a chance to rid themselves of some of those early season demons from years past.

Some people might think that 6-12 is selling a team short. But after 39 wins and 125 losses the past two seasons, I think these guys have to crawl a little bit before they walk. Feel free to tell me if I’m crazy (you always do anyway).

Any word on our #3PG Ivey. He is listed on the training camp roster as 6'4" 215 lbs. Move over Josh Smith, Ivey must be growing still and working out. He has been listed at 6'3" 200 lbs. With Claxton out a few weeks he might get a "little" time again at starter or move up to 2nd. Does Bozeman work himself into the mix?

Quote:

Any word on our #3PG Ivey. He is listed on the training camp roster as 6'4" 215 lbs. Move over Josh Smith, Ivey must be growing still and working out. He has been listed at 6'3" 200 lbs. With Claxton out a few weeks he might get a "little" time again at starter or move up to 2nd. Does Bozeman work himself into the mix?

Ivey looks 6'4 to me. Bozeman will definitely have opportunities. I suppose he will need to gather much confidence on this team. With Salim, Lue, Ivey and Chalmers in camp, he will have to continually assert himself. Ivey is in year three, he will not allow nothing short of "first rounder type" competition to separate him and the "rotation".

Finally, blood’s been spilled

By Sekou Smith | Tuesday, October 3, 2006, 03:55 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

I was joking with another NBA writer over the weekend about what I needed to see at Hawks training camp to convince me that they were ready to take that next step, and I told him that I needed to see some blood. I needed a good fight or something to let me know that these guys were serious about climbing out of the NBA basement. (I hadn’t witnessed so much as a shoving match since I’ve covered these Hawks, nice guys all of them but no one strikes me as particularly rowdy or nasty).

Well, it didn’t take long for some blood to be shed. While pulling into the parking lot for practice this morning I spot Hawks equipment man Zach Walsh rolling past me with Zaza Pachulia in the passenger seat holding a bag of ice wrapped in a towel over his eye. Turns out Zaza caught an inadvertent elbow to the dome from Lorenzen Wright during a defensive drill. He missed the rest of the morning session but was expected back for the night session, with 20 or so stitches to close up the gash above his eye.

I know it wasn’t Hearns-Hagler or Tyson-Holyfield. It wasn’t even a skirmish. But blood has been spilled. And even when it’s accidental, it sets a certain tone for the way things are going to be. Wright is a veteran who has been in his fair share of scrapes during his 10 years in the league. So even if he didn’t mean to split Zaza’s skull open a little bit, what’s done is done. And now everyone knows they better watch out. I know this puts Zaza’s dreams of gracing the cover of GQ in serious doubt, for the time being at least. But it’s like one Hawks staffer told me during practice this morning, “welcome to the NPA - No Punks Allowed.” I kind of like the way that sounds.

By Sekou K. Smith

October 3, 2006 05:00 PM | Link to this

Zaza is sitting out Tuesday night’s practice and could be out until Thursday, though he could return as early as Wednesday night. And it turns out that he needed close to 30 stitches to close up that head buster. Ouch.

Speedy is the only new guard for the Hawks from last year. While we might not be a better team without him, early on we will probably have better chemistry. So losing him might actually help us get off to a better start.

With that said, I am confident that Speedy is ready to step up and be an excellent point guard for us. I am expecting a strong assist-to-turnover ratio as well as solid perimeter defense. I don't see any reason why he can't be just as good as Tony Parker. They are similiar in size, shooting ability and quickness.

• Premium Member

Above anybody else, Speedy has to find good chemistry with everybody else. Having him have to wait until the season starts will impede our season... We may start off fine with Lue, but getting Speedy to full Speed will take longer than it would have if he were healthy. I happen to believe that Speedy brings more ability than Lue so there again we will be losing out a bit!

• Premium Member

Think of how long it took JJ to get in the groove as a Hawks.

It took about a month. Remember, we lost like 14 straight. That was with constant playing and that was with JJ not playing the PG position (which is the hardest position to play). You're totally ignorant if you believe that sitting on the sidelines is anything like being in the game. Also, you're just as ignorant about basketball if you believe that the PG doesn't have the most Chemistry issues to work out.

If Speedy is much better than Lue, then his absence will impede our success this season.

Speedy is involved with all phases of training camp except physical contact. It means he is in the drills, in film sessions, in workouts. Speedy is a vet with an edge. Speedy having not in full contact gives Bozeman and Chalmers more looks, which is good. Royal Ivey in his third season is in position to benefit early.

You must understand the big leaps of a basketball players maturation is between year one to two and two to three. That is typical for a player coming out of college. Ivey fits this mode. The advant of the high schooler rookies has to be considered. Consider also, the high-schooler to pro player are exceptional by definition.

Back to the subject, Teaching and instructions are happening. Speedy not in some aspects is a benefit for some and not much of a hinderence considering his personal make-up. Speedy has a definite edge and will be ready as his finger heals.