• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thoughts on SportsSouth?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Turner South set for change in name, format

By TIM TUCKER

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 10/04/06

Five months after paying $375 million for Turner South, Fox Cable Networks has a new name — and a new game plan — for the channel.

It'll be relaunched and rebranded on Oct. 13 as SportSouth, a regional sports network that will be built around heavy doses of Braves, Hawks and Thrashers programming.

It'll be the second Atlanta-based, Fox-owned, all-sports network, joining FSN South. The key difference: While FSN South includes national programming, such as Fox's "Best Damn Sports Show," SportSouth aims to be entirely local.

SportSouth will televise 61 Thrashers games and 45 Hawks games during the 2006-07 seasons and 55 Braves games in 2007. SportSouth's Braves telecasts will increase to 80 games in 2008, when TBS cuts back its telecasts.

Aside from games, SportSouth will emphasize programs focusing on off-the-field, behind-the-scenes "storytelling" about Southern pro and college sports, said Jeff Genthner, vice president and general manager of FSN South and, now, SportSouth.

The new name might sound familiar.

That's because SportSouth, not coincidentally, was the original name of what now is FSN South.

The path from that SportSouth to this SportSouth involves no small amount of corporate circuitousness.

When launched in 1990, the original SportSouth was jointly owned by Turner Broadcasting and Liberty Media. It changed hands in 1997, becoming part of Fox's lineup of regional sports networks as a condition of Time Warner's acquisition of Turner Broadcasting. Fox renamed the channel Fox Sports South and, more recently, FSN South. Turner Broadcasting proceeded to launch Turner South, largely as a vehicle for Braves telecasts.

Fast-forward to 2006. Fox bought Turner South from Time Warner in May, and as part of the deal got the local television rights to all Hawks and Thrashers games and most Braves games.

And add this twist: Turner Broadcasting's partner in the original SportSouth, Liberty Media, is in the process of buying the Braves.

Small world.

After considering "800 to 1,000" names for Turner South — Genthner's count — Fox chose one from 16 years ago.

"We wrestled with it," Genthner said. "SportSouth was such a natural, immediate choice, but we had to go through the exercise of learning what resonates with fans."

SportSouth will reach about 8.2 million cable and satellite subscribers in Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina and parts of North Carolina.

SportSouth, which will officially premiere with a Thrashers-Carolina Hurricanes game Oct. 13, will carry far more Hawks and Thrashers games this season (45 and 61, respectively) than Turner South carried last season (nine and 46, respectively).

SportSouth will "evolve gradually," Genthner said. As the channel fills 24 hours a day with locally oriented programming, expect to see reruns of games in overnight and weekday hours.

SportSouth's three programming pillars, Genthner said, will be to "raise the bar on event production," to create a big-event atmosphere around telecasts of major local games and to create original programming "that is in-depth, insightful, access-driven." As an example of the latter, Genthner cites a program currently in the works on Hawks rookie Shelden Williams' introduction to the NBA.

the Braves should be changing ownership soon. much of the apathy towards the Braves centered around one and done exits in the playoffs and a detached corporate ownership group. there will be a renewed interest in the Braves next year after missing the playoffs this season. i know it seems backwards but that's how it is.

The Hawks seem primed for a breakout soon. they will be better this year and really should look to be a forced to be reckoned with next season.

The Thrashers almost made the playoffs last season.

Everybody likes a winner. Especially one with a fresh face. I think Fox bought low.

Quote:

45 Hawks games on SportsSouth . . hmmmmmmmm.

As much as I like the NBA League Pass, this gives me a little incentive not to take it this year.

Nahhhh . . I'm too much of a hoops junkie to give up League Pass.

League Pass is like visual crack.

League Pass is a divorce waiting to happen. i value my 2 children too much for that to happen.