• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Most overrated singer?

Plainview1981

I'm going with Joss Stone. I know she's not very popular overall, but there is so many better soul singers out there.

1.She's got a manly voice that sounds so fake.

2.She's a Britney Spears wannabe posing as a soul artist. In fact, she was at first going to come out with a Britney Spears style album, but just loved american soul so much.

Being that I don't view soul music as entertainment in the same manner I do rock, I have to say this points to the emptyness of her music. Because we know what she truly is.... I think the colors will show through sooner or later.

Lyrics like this:

"A car this fine don't pass your way every day don't cha wanna ride?"

Is that soul music lyrics?

She is manly singer that lacks charisma and can't write worth a crap.

Nearly every commercial act out there. Diddy has inadvertently shown through his reality show that you just need a pretty face.

Someone else can write your lyrics.

Someone else can produce your beats.

Someone else can synthesize your voice.

Someone else can direct your videos.

Someone else can teach you how to dance.

Someone else can hype you.

• Moderators

I actually am more excited about the music scene right now than I have been for a while. I think the internet has really opened things up a bit more.

Bands like TV on the Radio, the Mars Volta, Blackfield, the Flaming Lips, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Sigur Ros, Muse, Radiohead, Pineapple Thief, Riverside, etc. definitely give me hope that the creative bent in music is far from choked off by the record companies.

Frankly, I can't recall a worse time in music than when it was being dominated by NSync, Backstreet Boys, Mariah Carey, etc.

I guess compared to the late 90s early 00s with the plague of boy bands and what not, the mid 00s are looking better. I swore off the radio years ago because of the garbage that typically finds its way on there, and the only time I listen to it is when I'm tuned in to the old-school station that plays the likes of Sam Cooke.

This is the greatest time for music ever. As an artist or a fan.

As a fan you can get anything anyone has ever done almost instantly.

There are more cool musicians and singers than you can count out there.

You just have to look for them.

The music that the corporations are shilling us is garbage, just like the movies.

As a musician there are more options than ever.

Went to the Martin guitar factory a couple of years ago. It was very impressive. They still have a few machines running from the 1800's.

Absolutely the best acoustic guitars in the world.