• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The few remaining roster spots will come down to

Peoriabird

• Premium Member

Royal Ivey VS Cedrick Bozeman.

Bastista VS Glyniadakis Vs Matt Freije

Personally Bozeman, Matt Freije, & Glyniadakis should have the upper hand. Bozeman can run the offense just as smoothly as Royal Ivey but is a better shooter and is 6'6" tall. Matt Freije just has more skill than Bastista. Can shoot lights out and can be used as a reliable gunner off the bench. Glyniadakis is a 7 footer with more skill also which gives him the edge.

I posted after seeing only the open scrimmage that "Big Glyn" and Freije really stood out for me. Now with a couple of preseason games it has not changed my mind. I'm not sold on Cedric and he would have to do a lot more to put Ivey on the bubble especially since he is already under contract. Freije has some instant offense that Salim is inconsistent right now on. We need "all the options" that we can get.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I posted after seeing only the open scrimmage that "Big Glyn" and Freije really stood out for me. Now with a couple of preseason games it has not changed my mind. I'm not sold on Cedric and he would have to do a lot more to put Ivey on the bubble especially since he is already under contract. Freije has some instant offense that Salim is inconsistent right now on. We need "all the options" that we can get.

So why aren't these guys playing more in the preseason? Why do you play J. Smith 45 minutes in a preseason game particularly when he is struggling? Why not put someone big on Ilgauskus like Glyniadakis? Can't figure out what woodsen is trying to accomplish this preseason.

So why aren't these guys playing more in the preseason? Why do you play J. Smith 45 minutes in a preseason game particularly when he is struggling? Why not put someone big on Ilgauskus like Glyniadakis? Can't figure out what woodsen is trying to accomplish this preseason.

I believe we know the drill with Woody. We will question his rotations , his matchups, his strategy, his adjustments during the game. I guess we expected better from such a long time assistant to Larry Brown, who was highly touted by Brown himself.

Woody said in the AJC this week that he wanted the young players to learn how to close out games, so he's keeping them in the game to win. Last night Woody said he wanted to win no matter what, as did Cleveland.

Can't say that I agree with it, but that is WHY Woody is leaving everyone in.

"So why aren't these guys playing more in the preseason? Why do you play J. Smith 45 minutes in a preseason game particularly when he is struggling? Why not put someone big on Ilgauskus like Glyniadakis? Can't figure out what woodsen is trying to accomplish this preseason"

Woody didn't play that many guys through the regular season. Got in the habit of playing his starters or first 8 guys unrealistic minutes. Something that he has to reduce or our key guys, especially JJ, won't have legs at the end of the season.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Woody said in the AJC this week that he wanted the young players to learn how to close out games, so he's keeping them in the game to win. Last night Woody said he wanted to win no matter what, as did Cleveland.

Can't say that I agree with it, but that is WHY Woody is leaving everyone in.

But Freije hit every thing he took and helped the Hawks pull away in the 4th quarter and then he was pulled out! That didn't make any sense to me.

As I said I don't agree with Woody, I am just reiterating what he said in the paper.

Woody pulling a hot shooter is nothing new. He's done it every year and will continue to do so it looks like. The guy is just a poor headcoach. He can teach, he can motivate, but he can't manage a game. That's why he should be an assistant and not a head coach.

Quote:

As I said I don't agree with Woody, I am just reiterating what he said in the paper.

Woody pulling a hot shooter is nothing new. He's done it every year and will continue to do so it looks like. The guy is just a poor headcoach. He can teach, he can motivate, but he can't manage a game. That's why he should be an assistant and not a head coach.

I disagree with your assessment. Woody knows that now is the time to teach in tight games and send a message. This is part of chemistry. In 10 short days, Josh will be required to be counted on for whatever load is neccessary. Starters have to get in "game shape" before 11-1. The coaches are not trying to figure out who will be in the active roster, they already know. We don't but they do. I don't believe he is a "poor head coach". I believe he is a good coach. His players believe in him and his system. He has a balanced eager and growing team.

I think your comment that he can't manage a game is very insightful. I think he's gotten better at it, but there have been lapses that have cost us. And when we are talking about how to finish games to close them out, his role to manage them is vital. Would love to see him lean more on his assistants for help.

Quote:

I think your comment that he can't manage a game is very insightful. I think he's gotten better at it, but there have been lapses that have cost us. And when we are talking about how to finish games to close them out, his role to manage them is vital. Would love to see him lean more on his assistants for help.

In the heat ofthe game a coach can miss a needed component of benefit. That is the help of assistants. Woody takes the shoulder of the blame, but his assistants are not blameless. I recall last year during a game, Josh was on the bench at a time his abilities were needed. Yes Woody admitted (standup guy) forgetting about him, but so did 4 or 5 assistants. Some body gotta nudge the coach in those times.

I'm certain BK addressed that.

It depends on how Woody has set up his assistants to help him. If the rule was don't bother him unless he asks, then they can't say anything. I don't know if was the case, but we also don't know how he has/had things set up.

Again, Woody's game management is poor. He seems to get too caught up in the now and not think down the road.

I honestly hope that Woody has gotten better, but I don't see it. The first 25 games of the season will provide us a good insight into if Woody has game management down. If he doesn't, I wouldn't be surprised to see a coaching change.

Quote:

Royal Ivey VS Cedrick Bozeman.

Bastista VS Glyniadakis Vs Matt Freije

Personally Bozeman, Matt Freije, & Glyniadakis should have the upper hand. Bozeman can run the offense just as smoothly as Royal Ivey but is a better shooter and is 6'6" tall. Matt Freije just has more skill than Bastista. Can shoot lights out and can be used as a reliable gunner off the bench. Glyniadakis is a 7 footer with more skill also which gives him the edge.

Well, Salim and Glyn are in without a doubt.

Freije plays light, we need power from 6'10". Batista does and he is in.

Solomon is arguebly the best athlete on the squad at 6'11", he is in.

Royal is a vet, Ced will get minutes in the NDBL.

So here it is:

Speedy

Lue

JJ

Chillz

Salim

Marvin

Smoove

Shelden

Zaza

Lorenzen

Big Glyn

Batista

Ivey

Solomon

Bozeman

That's 15 which is the limit.

12 will dress.

Solomon and Bozeman will be assigned to the NDBL

Ivey or Batista will dress at games depending on the intangables.