• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith Against the Cavs

vdunkndunk

I thought Josh Smith played really well tonight, even though he didn't put up big numbers. The main thing I liked about the way he played was that he took it to the basket agressively instead of hanging around on the perimeter.

When he went to the hoop he was either getting layups or getting fouled. And his ball handling isn't as big a weakness when he posts up, because he only needs to get an angle and take one or two dribbles.

I think his early foul trouble cooled him off a bit, but overall this was an impressive performance and gives you at his potential at the power forward position.

Quote:

I thought Josh Smith played really well tonight, even though he didn't put up big numbers. The main thing I liked about the way he played was that he took it to the basket agressively instead of hanging around on the perimeter.

When he went to the hoop he was either getting layups or getting fouled. And his ball handling isn't as big a weakness when he posts up, because he only needs to get an angle and take one or two dribbles.

I think his early foul trouble cooled him off a bit, but overall this was an impressive performance and gives you at his potential at the power forward position.

Great to hear that. (missed the game). Smoove did that in the last game too. All the stars are lining up. We're too quick and long for the eastern conference. Soon, they will try to draft like us.

This may have been a benchmark game for Josh. Smoove repeatedly slashed to the inside. Did I say SLASH and SMOOVE in the same sentence? It was great to see him throw some kickouts to the perimeter instead of trying to be on the receiving end. This will definitely elevate his game.

Quote:

Quote:

Great to hear that. (missed the game). Smoove did that in the last game too. All the stars are lining up. We're too quick and long for the eastern conference. Soon, they will try to draft like us.

Wow...if that happens, this board may lose some people. cool.gif

Great post. I also saw this, and he was able to go to the right as well as left. His drives are simple, like you said, a couple dribbles in a straight line, jump and hang in the air forever, draw contact, and flip the ball toward the goal.

He's so quick and jumps so well that maybe he doesn't need to be able to crossover. His first step is good enough to get him in the lane.

Are Smoove's hands on the small side? Unfortunately I don't see him controlling the ball very well around the hoop when contact is involved.

Yup, Smoove's hands are small for his size. He can't palm the ball so he has to cradle it. Those hands prevent him from completely destroying the basket when he drives.

Over time I think he'll come up with a way to compensate for his hands, but in the meantime he'll go for layups instead of dunks.

Overall Smoove did have a solid game. His defensive intensity was up, and we really needed that last night. Again, I like Smoove, and I see him as a rising junior in college ball. He is going to have flaws in his game for the next few years, but he's darn fun to watch when he has it going.

Yeah I think he can compensate for his poor handles by just beating people with his first step. He doesn't need to dance around like an AI before he drives, as long as the respect is there that he CAN drive, it will open up the rest of his game.

BTW don't y'all think he played great post D yesterday? Even the times he was scored on, he was all over them and played great D, they were just great (lucky) shots. I also thought Shelden played great post D yesterday.

actually got to watch this game...and the assessment is correct.

I was quite impressed with Smith (though his stats don't reflect it) ~ he was driving quite a bit (not posting up), often with a single dribble move. he blew a couple of the gimmes/tougher 'touch' finger roles (and thus not getting the and one's), but overall his aggressiveness was definitely noted ~ though he only scored 15 points, and didn't shoot particularly well...he got 8Ft's (and made six).

'nice' game for him.

Yeh I was really surprised he drove over and over to his right. Being a fellow south paw, I felt Josh's pain. It is so easy to get in a habit of soley going left. When you play coming up and even to an extent everytime you play anyone for the first time they just naturaly position themselves giving up the drive to the left, so you take till they stop it. But it does show a maturation that he is recognizing this and is beginning to go to right. It will only make his game that much better.