If y'all wanna bash someone..

AtLaS

Speedy is averaging 3.6 ppg and 2.4 assist in about 23 mpg. He is shooting an UNCONCIOUS 15% from the FIELD!

How is everyone bashing Smoove and not Speedy? We just paid this guy 6 million per! HE's the one that shouldn't be shooting. If Smith started passing up WIDE open shots as y'all say he should, he'd be Boris Diaw (The Atlanta one). Diaw had a worse shot than Smith yet EVERYONE here was begging him to shoot. How can Smith pass up a wide open shot with less than 10 seconds on the shot clock? Just doesn't make sense. I'm sure Woodson TELLS him to take it if in a certain position. Now I agree he definately needs to take it to the rack, but y'all are overreacting just because we are losing and you have to find someone to blame.. BTW he's only avging 2.38 TO/g in about 40 minutes, which is less than JJ, Zaza AND Speedy who is only playing 23 mpg. That's right, Speedy is averaging 3 TO in 23 mpg, and shooting 15% on top of that!

I agree Josh makes stupid mistakes but he is NOT the sole reason we are losing..

Y'all say Smoove's not playing like a 3 year vet, well Speedy is freakin 28. He's killing us with turnovers and not doing anything on the floor. That's killing 6 mil of our cap for an injured player who makes us WORSE when healthy. I think it's pretty obvious that Smoove would REALLY excel with a good passing pg that good get him the ball in position to score and one who can run the fast break. Speedy could become that but is no where near there yet.

I also think Smoove will be better once Marvin gets back because he'll be playing PF and he won't be forced to be on the perimeter all game. Plus he plays much better defense down there.

P.S. : THE REAL REASON WE ARE LOSING IS FREE THROWS.

Another thing, the reason Smith is playing like a rookie is because on this team RIGHT NOW he is a rookie. He's always had 2 goto guys on the team ahead of him, whether Walker and Harrington or JJ and Harrington. Now he has by default become a goto guy. This is the FIRST year he's ever REALLY been looked upon to provide for us in order to be successful. When you start Bozeman and Shelden (or even Speedy right now), you are playing 3 on 5 when on offense, because they do NOT help out. Of COURSE he's gonna make mistakes. And since Marvin isn't here to help, he's really had to step up, and with Chill out now he's relied on even more.

Speedy is supposed to help him out, which I hope he will, but he hasn't.

My only contention with that is Speedy has proven himself prior to this season where Smith has not. Speedy is also recovering from the hand injury and the sore knees. This is his first year in the system, and due to the injuries missed almost the entire preseason. So these first 4 games he has played has been his preseason. Learning where guys like to spot up, which guys look for the pass, which guys run out, it does take awhile to get a feel for your teammates, and learn where they like the ball and in what situations. He is basically 4 games into his preseason. Give him about 15 games before passing judgement. Then if he still is playing like this by all means, he needs to be scrutinized.

For the last time most of our beef (well I know mine and several others) is a lack of attention and focus from Smooth. The lack of effrot at crucial times is very rookie like. My one and only comment about his shot. If your open you shoot it, but what about maybe one dribble to get in rhytem and step up. A deep 2 is worth more then a missed 3. Thats all I want one dribble, rhytem jumper.

good post, godawg. i would also like to add that i think if anyone thinks we're playing 3 on 5 on offense, then you would also have to say that the majority of the time the other team is playing 3 on 5 when they're on offense. not many teams have solid offensive contributers 1-5. someone will almost always have to take a backseat.

• Moderators

Trust me. You will see a lot of Speedy bashing if he doesn't really pick up his level of play. However, his past performance has earned him something of a grace period - particularly where it is clear he is hurting and getting used to playing with this team.

I'm tired of bashing Speedy. Look up my posts. I'm pretty sure I hate his signing more than any person on this board. He is a homeless man's Jacque Vaughn. Am I the only one who remembers Jacque? Personally, I prefer his game to Speedy's. Especially when you consider the price differential. That's the main thing. Aside from sucking in almost every conceivable way, his contract is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge for a player of his talents. He is, I think, going to be the worst free-agent signing in Hawks history.

HA! He is making $6million this year and it decends to $3.6 in 2010. please tell me how this is the worst deal, when we gave Hendu a max contract. Glenn Robinson near 10 mill. Cmon now its 4 games that are like his preseason since he missed the reg preseason and you are ready to call this the worst FA signing ever. HA! I hate to use this joke, but it applies. We are the Hawks, and you say this is the worst deal.

i don't get it.why are we bashing anyone at all? with the youngest team in the league we won 4 our of the first 5 games and then lost 3 in a row BARELY (and with players out with injuries).

and since most of you picked them to win less than 41 games this year(which means less than a .500 record) because we were still in a developmental stage, that means you apparently have changed your mind on how good the team can be BECAUSE WE'VE PLAYED WELL SO FAR.

speedy- injuries and not much time for basketball shape due to injuries. not sure how this is his fault. i don't know, maybe he could have injected liquid rubber into his knees and wore a concrete brace on his hand to prevent breaking it? if you're going to blame anyone for this guys injuries, blame Billy for taking a chance on an injury prone player.

Josh Smith- so the #17 pick in the draft few years ago (and one that had apparently the highest risk if bust) has gone beyond what most people thought he might do, has shown a great work ethic, worked hard in the offseason on his game, and was the only reason ESPN showed Hawks highlights until this year...yet we're bashing him because he still inconsistent (yet not as inconsistent as last year and not starting quite as slow as he has last couple years) and shoots too many threes (i agree on this but not to the point he needs bashing).

Tyron Lue- he's won a couple games for us by himself (other than Joe Cool being himself) yet people bash him for being only a shooter(when we need all the offense we can get and he's our BACKUP POINT GUARD).

Shelden Williams- averaging more rebounds per game than any other rookie including Aldridge(and in less minutes than Aldridge too). has actually played smart and tough for a rookie. but is bashed because he hasnt scored more (when they arent plays ran for him and he hasnt looked to score until recently). well i guess we could have used Roy though seeing as him being out for 3 out of the first 4 weeks of the season is something we need right now.

Salim- ok, i've bashed this guy because i felt he wasnt playing because of something he's done. he's playing erraticly but seems to be trying to tone it down. so mark me down as a salim basher slowing warming up to him and hoping for the best.

Quote:

good post, godawg. i would also like to add that i think if anyone thinks we're playing 3 on 5 on offense, then you would also have to say that the majority of the time the other team is playing 3 on 5 when they're on offense. not many teams have solid offensive contributers 1-5.

Name another team that has 2 starters that COMBINE for less than 5 ppg, add to that they aren't averaging good assist numbers either.

I'm not a Shelden basher by any means, so that's not a knock on him, I'm just saying we ARE playing 3 on 5 on offense, and most teams don't.

I completely agree with you. This was more of an attack to all the bashers on this site (hence the title, "if y'all need to bash someone"). I wasn't even bashing Speedy in this post, just saying if all these people need to bash someone, at least attack the right person. I agree I'm willing to give Speedy a chance. And I'm sick of all this Smoove hate when so far this year he's been given all kinds of new responsibilities, of course he's gonna struggle sometimes, but he's still playing good nonetheless. It's too early, only 8 games.

Quote:

Name another team that has 2 starters that COMBINE for less than 5 ppg, add to that they aren't averaging good assist numbers either.

Bozeman and Shelden were not even supposed to be starting, they are injury replacements.

Add healthy Speedy and Marvin and you have all the starters in double figures. Don't forget Lue and Chill who average in double figures of the bench.

Quote:

Quote:

Bozeman and Shelden were not even supposed to be starting, they are injury replacements.

EXACTLY! You just proved my point we are playing 3 on 5 on offense.

So stop the Smoove bashing for now at least.

• Premium Member

Quote:

i don't get it.why are we bashing anyone at all? with the youngest team in the league we won 4 our of the first 5 games and then lost 3 in a row BARELY (and with players out with injuries).

and since most of you picked them to win less than 41 games this year(which means less than a .500 record) because we were still in a developmental stage, that means you apparently have changed your mind on how good the team can be BECAUSE WE'VE PLAYED WELL SO FAR.

speedy- injuries and not much time for basketball shape due to injuries. not sure how this is his fault. i don't know, maybe he could have injected liquid rubber into his knees and wore a concrete brace on his hand to prevent breaking it? if you're going to blame anyone for this guys injuries, blame Billy for taking a chance on an injury prone player.

Josh Smith- so the #17 pick in the draft few years ago (and one that had apparently the highest risk if bust) has gone beyond what most people thought he might do, has shown a great work ethic, worked hard in the offseason on his game, and was the only reason ESPN showed Hawks highlights until this year...yet we're bashing him because he still inconsistent (yet not as inconsistent as last year and not starting quite as slow as he has last couple years) and shoots too many threes (i agree on this but not to the point he needs bashing).

Tyron Lue- he's won a couple games for us by himself (other than Joe Cool being himself) yet people bash him for being only a shooter(when we need all the offense we can get and he's our BACKUP POINT GUARD).

Shelden Williams- averaging more rebounds per game than any other rookie including Aldridge(and in less minutes than Aldridge too). has actually played smart and tough for a rookie. but is bashed because he hasnt scored more (when they arent plays ran for him and he hasnt looked to score until recently). well i guess we could have used Roy though seeing as him being out for 3 out of the first 4 weeks of the season is something we need right now.

Salim- ok, i've bashed this guy because i felt he wasnt playing because of something he's done. he's playing erraticly but seems to be trying to tone it down. so mark me down as a salim basher slowing warming up to him and hoping for the best.

Good to hear some reality on this board for a change smile.gif