• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The win and What now.

Diesel

• Premium Member

First the win.

Good win. We picked it up when I thought we would drop it. When Houston went on the 18-1 run, I said... Here we go again.

However I have the reasons why we won:

1. Theo The YAO KILLER. Theo played Inspired ball. If we were looking to trade him for talent, today is his day.

2. JT as a SG. It's evident to everyone that JT is better as a SG. Before I thought the mickey mouse backcourt couldn't work. However, now... If you really think about it... If JT can put up 20-30.. Why not go with the Mickey mouse Backcourt.

3. Houston at the Line. I think last count I took, Houston missed about 15 FTs. That and the slow first half really hurt them. They spent a lot of energy trying to come back.

4. Club Nikki. I think it was the curse of Kenny Smith. Houston must have taken advantage of the admenities (as Stinger said all night).

5. Shareef as a Sf? I think this was the first time I've seen that in Atlanta? Has Shareef been out of position this whole time? Is he just a big Slow SF? He hit a few 18 fters.

6. The defense of Mike Wilks. Did I actually see Wilks fustrate Francis... One time Francis dribbled out of bounds with Wilks pressure.

Two plays of the game:

1. Theo Block of Yao. Say what you want, that was very impressive.

2. Glover block of Griff. Equally impressive. Glover met Griff on the 13th floor.

So what now?

First... Is big Dog the problem. I don't think so. I think the problem has been shown over the last two games. JT is not a PG. That's the problem. Reason I say that is that even with JT as a SG, we were able to hang in with Dallas... (Second best team in the Game). Interestingly enough, the same Dallas team is playing Boston right now and going into the 4th the score was 92 to 60. And Boston doesn't have the flaws that we do.

So I believe that the problem is ball handling. We need a Ballhandler to share the backcourt with Terry.

Wilks is nice but weigh too Short.

Dickau is good but too short.

I'm thinking the answer is in PTL. They have three big Pgs.

Of those, I have seen a trade that would bring us: McInnis.

Nazr for McInni and 2 stiffs.

This might be for us. It would mean bye bye Wilks but McInnis is 6'4" a good ballhandler a good defensive player, and a good scorer.

The same deal would work for Daniels, but I haven't seen much from Daniels.

Something a little better would be:

Theo/CC to Portland for Davis/Anderson.

I'm sure that Portland watched how Theo the YAO Killer played tonight. They have to be licking their lips at the prospect of getting that kind of Shot blocker up front with Wallace....

This is everything Babcock's email mentioned.

Tough defense. Ball handling.

JT/Anderson/Grob/SAR/Davis?

Diesel,

Theo the Yao Killer?!

Come on. No where even close. He had an off game.

I am no Yao fan. Theo DID play STELLAR defense against him. But, to say he is a Yao killer... please. Next time we meet, a LOT of those shots fall. They weren't hard shots, and they were ALL shots that he should make.

The ball bounced around on the rim and it fell out.

Play.

• Premium Member

Okay, some things I took away:

Wilks - 26 min, 1-10 FG, 1-4 FT, 5 PF, and no, he didn't frustrate Francis, Francis sucked tonite. Plain & simple.

Newble - 16 min, 0 pts., 2 TO, 4 PF. We need more from him, regardless of his defense.

Terry - Still got 6 assists, he is looking like more and more like a true combo guard. Unfortunately, he played the entire game with a game tomorrow night vs. NO.

Griffin - 20 pts., 16 rebs. - he's only averaging 8.4 pts, 5.6 rebs...

• Premium Member

How many times did Theo bother Yao?

Then with the shot block and the personal fouls... Theo was a Yao killer tonight. What was Yao at games end? 0-7 with 3 rebounds.

For God's sake, he's 7'6" playing against a frontline of Theo/Hendu/SAR or Theo/SAR/Ham. He should have dominated from size and style alone.

However, Theo bothered him and you could tell when Theo played well against Yao... That it made him play harder against everybody else.

I'd still trade Theo. Theo/CC for Anderson/Davis sounds pretty good to me. However, don't take Theo's credit away. He assisted Yao into having that "off night".

Diesel,

OH! You are mistaken, I believe Theo played EXCELLENT defense on him.

I thought you were calling Theo a Yao Killer. Basically, saying that he could stop him all the time.

(No, Yao was not 0-7... remember the dunk on Theo's head?)

But, nonetheless, Theo played excellent. But, I think the Rockets were off. Most nights those shots fall.

Play.

• Premium Member

But Wilks did Fustrate Francis. Did you watch. Wilks was over francis like a blanket. So much so that in the fourth, Francis finally hit a shot and got a tech called on him because he was taunting. That's a sign of fustration. Francis didn't suck so much either. I was in awe of his fancy dribbling. It's just that when Wilks came out in the second half... Francis had a defender on him at all times.

About Terry's minutes. Getting this win tonight was much more important than worrying about tommorow. Right now, we're in save morale mode. We had to see this win through. SO if we played Terry and Shareef 48 minutes apiece... It don't matter. With a 6 game losing streak.. the first objective is to WIN.

finally, Griff did have a [censored] of a game. However, he's capable. Sheez. Reef has never averaged 50 points, but he scored 50 on Ben Wallace last yr... What's that say about Wallace?

• Premium Member

No, I didn't watch, I listened on the radio, and unless the announcers were making stuff up, Francis had several open shots in the second half that he usually makes. On a normal night, he would just shoot over the little squirt. I'm just not impressed by Wilks' (his effort is great, but teams will adjust to him in due time, and then what?) and think that he offers little more than Dickau (who is useless on the bench).

As far as the minutes, you make a good point, but the Hawks need a lot more than one win...It's a good start, but I doubt NO comes out as flat as Houston tomorrow...

As far as Griffin, I didn't solely blame Reef, you just assumed.

MrHOnline,

Wilks did not play stellar defense on Francis.

When Francis dribbled it out of bounds, he was being doubled.

Francis had an off night, as did the entire Rockets team.

Wilks should NOT start over Dickau, as Dickau was our choice for the future of this organization at PG. He needs playing time, and would have easily hit those open jumpers.

I like Wilks, but he is not the man. He is an Ira Newble.

Play.

Franics always turns the ball over so you can't

count that.But I agree Wilks sucks and probably

should be released.

L:ike you said heis another Newble or Ty Corbin

as Diesel likes to call them.

know this first, im a hawks fan 1st and a yao fan 2nd...

but anyways..

1) yes THEO RATLIFF played awesome D on YAO MING. While i dont expect him to do this on a nightly basis against all other Cs (it would be nice though, rite?), Ratliff plays well against quick centers/pfs. Yaos shots werent falling in but Ratliff did bother him throughout the game.

2)JT is better at SG and he should stay there (IMO). Stop with the "only Ivy and Wesley can play SG" crap and add JT in there! He shoots better and makes less mistakes/turnovers. Keep him there! dont trade!!!

3)Houston shot below 50% i think. Terrible!

4)tru

5)i didnt notice SAR playing any SF but if u say he did, i'll take ur word

6)U took the words out of my mouth! FRANCIS was frustrated! thats why he got the Technical... nothing was going his way! he tried to be more agressive against a smaller WILKS and that just lead to more turnovers and frustration...

good D Wilks!

Key PLAYS

1)that was one nice, clean a$$ block... if the refs called a goaltending or foul, i would have been PIST!

2)Glover- at first i didnt think it was him... good D Glover!

1 thing wrong Diesel... Is Big Dog the problem?

- YES! imo

or any other old stiff. Not to mention we wont ever trade for a guy with a known attitude problem like Anderson. Babs (despite some outlandish opinions on this site) knows what he is doing with trades for the most part and wont trade away any asset of ours, especially a guy who CAN be an All-Star center in the east with the proper motivation for anyone aging, especially anyone as old as grandpa Davis (No offense Graymule wink.gif)

I really see no way that we are going to trade Theo, he is just too valuable and when he gets some help and is motivated he can dominate like he has done his whole career. He showed it tonight. I really think we are going to move Nazr, but for what I do not know. I wouldnt mind trading for Daniels or even McInnis, but how much of an upgrade to JT at the point would they be? We need a true PG if we are to trade Nazr. I really think that Babs may still be trying to get Eric Snow, who he has always liked and would be absolutely perfect for our team. You add Snow to this team and we are a playoff team no questions asked.

We are a horrible ballhandling team.

This was something that burned Lon up. He knew we could'nt handle the ball worth crap. But there was NOTHING he could do about it.

This is the main reason that we are not a very good team right now. Would a great ballhandling guard help? Maybe.

I really believe Mike Wilks is a decent ballplayer, but he's not the long term answer. The long term answer is over on the bench wearing number 12. I really can't believe I'm saying this cause I cheered for JT as the PG all summer with a few on here, but Dan Dickau should be getting more PT at PG.

He can handle the ball, and having someone who can do that will make us better.