• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Does JJ have the killer instict to be a champion?

jerrywest

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What I am asking is if he has that "REFUSE" to lose killer instinct.

Michael Jordan had that "instinct". He has had absolutely horrible games where he was like 2 for 14 in shots and he would be verbally tearing into Kerr and the others to pick up his slack because he was not getting it done and they were "expected" to pick his slack.

Tim Duncan has multiple rings and a similar demeanor to JJ. I don't have a problem with his edge.

Does he have half the rings that Michael has? Of course his career is still ongong and he is not finished. It boils down to the team surrounding them and whether they can deliver regardless of your superstars demeanor. Basketabll is clearly a game of emotions. JJ does not have Tim Duncans team or MJ's.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What I am asking is if he has that "REFUSE" to lose killer instinct.

Michael Jordan had that "instinct". He has had absolutely horrible games where he was like 2 for 14 in shots and he would be verbally tearing into Kerr and the others to pick up his slack because he was not getting it done and they were "expected" to pick his slack.

Tim Duncan has multiple rings and a similar demeanor to JJ. I don't have a problem with his edge.

Does he have half the rings that Michael has? Of course his career is still ongong and he is not finished. It boils down to the team surrounding them and whether they can deliver regardless of your superstars demeanor. Basketabll is clearly a game of emotions. JJ does not have Tim Duncans team or MJ's.

Very few players have half the rings that MJ does. One of them is Shaq who in my opinion is less competitive than either Duncan or MJ (but who had a physical edge in his prime that not even MJ enjoyed).

Quote:

He's got the talent, but doesn't have the THING that drives a star to demand the most from his teammates. Nothing against Joe, but he's far too quiet. I watched CP3 closely last night, and in just his second year that little guy is in full command of ALL his teammates while on the court. They listen to him and follow his lead. Ray Felton does the same in Charlotte. Many others that have that THING do this as well. Joe could/should be that 'choir director' here, but he's not given to that. ...and that's too bad.

Disagree. He's not that vocal but he is a leader by example. Lue is more vocal. I think JJ is one player away from having someone who can score and take some pressure off him . . . . . that would free him up to really do his thing. Tries to do too much at times, and that catches up with him.

Notable NBA players who weren't "rah-rah" guys, or vocal leaders.

- Doc Rivers: A "leader by example" in the true sense of the word, that didn't have to resort to dramatics to lead his team to victory. He made sure his teammates were in the right places, but you didn't see Doc bumping chests with people after a score or a big play, just to fire somebody up.

- John Stockton: Cut in the same mold as Doc. All he did, was his job, and sought no special recognition for it.

- Hakeem Olajuwon: The Dream was the most dominant force in the middle from the late 80s to the mid 90s. Rah-rah guy? Vocal or Emotional leader? Hardly.

Those are just 3 guys. You can find many more throughout the history of the league that had guys that were stars, but weren't vocal leaders or showmen.

There's nothing wrong with JJ's game.

And anyway, the vocal leader of a team doesn't necessarily have to be your best player.

For us, it's Ty Lue. And there's nothing wrong with him being the vocal and emotional leader . . . as long as he produces when called upon.

What a ridiculous thread. Joe Johnson was a legit MVP candidate carrying this team on his back in a playoff race before he got hurt.

Only way he hurts this team is by not playing and that is not within his control. He didn't want to get hurt.

He played through pain in the Lakers game, the pain just became a little too much.